Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

Quote from: Daverz on October 25, 2020, 10:05:41 PM
The Supraphon Portrait set has hit the download sites, and sad to say, the download does not include the Janacek works.
I assume they couldn't get the download license for these recordings (still owned by Nonesuch?). 

By the way, the Schumann concerto in the box is the recording with Mata; I think the recording with Neumann is preferable (why not include both?).  However that Supraphon disc seems to be still in print, as are the Brahms concertos with Belohlavek.  The Connoisseur Society recording of the Chopin Preludes, which I think is preferable to the Supraphon recording,  is also not included.

Where are the download sites. Do they include the DVD?
Cheers

Holden

Daverz

Quote from: Holden on October 25, 2020, 11:40:24 PM
Where are the download sites. Do they include the DVD?

Qobuz and supraphonline.cz.  I don't see any videos in the download files.  I also missed that there is some Schumann and Brahms missing from the downloads (on CD7 in the box) that were also licensed from Nonesuch.  (A different Kinderszenen from the one that was on a Supraphon CD?  I haven't checked.)

Pohjolas Daughter

I let it be known to a good friend of mine that I was excited to see that there was a new Moravec set coming out soon (and as I mentioned elsewhere) and that I was looking to see how much of it I didn't already own....and, well, he beat me to the punch and went ahead and ordered it for me as an early Christmas present.  As he said, "I know that he's 'your guy'"!   :D

As an aside, there are two or three new(ish) live CDs of his which I don't own and am wondering here whether or not anyone here has them or has heard them via stream?  Off the top of my head, the first new-to-me one is the Twelth Night one.  There's also a Grieg, Ravel and Prokofiev piano concertos one...which I think is live?  Or at least new?

By the way, for what it's worth (if you don't already own it), the Live from Prague one (which came out on Hanssler) is a wonderful CD...it's a favorite of mine.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Daverz on October 26, 2020, 12:30:04 AM
Qobuz and supraphonline.cz.  I don't see any videos in the download files.  I also missed that there is some Schumann and Brahms missing from the downloads (on CD7 in the box) that were also licensed from Nonesuch.  (A different Kinderszenen from the one that was on a Supraphon CD?  I haven't checked.)

Yeah, none of the Nonesuch stuff from the 80s are in the download:

Schumann - Scenes from childhood and Arabesque, 1984
Brahms - Op. 117, 1-3, Op. 76/2 and Op. 79/2 - 1984
Janacek - On an overgrown path (3 selections), In the Mists and the Sonata - 1983

And yes, the Schumann is different than the one previously released on Supraphon CD.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 26, 2020, 08:18:42 AMThere's also a Grieg, Ravel and Prokofiev piano concertos one...which I think is live?  Or at least new?

PD
I bought that one. Have not heard the Prokofiev yet but the other two are certainly good performances. Moravec was always very good in the Ravel.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks for the feedback Brian!  Have you heard his Live in Prague one?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 29, 2020, 10:20:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback Brian!  Have you heard his Live in Prague one?

PD

I have. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

George

In case, like me, you were on the fence about this 11CD + 1DVD set, Amazon now has this for $57.94. I just ordered a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GVGCH3J?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: George on February 15, 2022, 12:00:49 PM

In case, like me, you were on the fence about this 11CD + 1DVD set, Amazon now has this for $57.94. I just ordered a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GVGCH3J?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Ordered. Nice price. Thank you for the great info!

George

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 15, 2022, 07:48:56 PM
Ordered. Nice price. Thank you for the great info!

My pleasure! Mine arrives tomorrow!

Pohjolas Daughter

It's a lovely set; I received mine as a Christmas present.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Oh man, the solo Brahms on this set (all but one work is new to CD) is worth the price of admission. As always, Moravec's tone is absolutely gorgeous. I wish he had recorded all of the late Brahms works.