Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhiliang

Hi, i have just bought a cd of Ivan Moravec playing the Chopin Ballades and have been impressed. Are there any other essential or great recordings i can also buy?

bhodges

Others will have many more suggestions than I can offer, but I do have this disc of Debussy and Chopin (on Vox, from 1983), which I bought shortly after hearing him playing both composers live a couple of years ago.  (He was superb, by the way.)

--Bruce

mn dave

chopin nocturnes

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 09:00:08 AM
chopin nocturnes

Agree w/ Dave & Todd on the 2-CD set of Nocturnes; replaced a previous set & I've listened to others since the Moravec purchase, but keep it in my collection!  :)

Zhiliang

Thanks for all the recommendations, i really find so many new ideas in his Ballades.

Zhiliang

Is he well known for his Chopin? How is his Beethoven Sonatas?

dirkronk

If Todd's many illustrations don't provide an obvious hint, let me simplify things somewhat: buy everything you can find by Moravec. At least, everything that you consider affordable--he has a Beethoven CD featuring the Appassionata (taken from his 1960s recordings of LvB sonatas) that commands ever-larger sums on Amazon and elsewhere. The reason is simple: almost everything Moravec does is well considered, intelligent AND interesting.

In fact, if you still have a working turntable, you should look for two LP box sets (one on Beethoven, the other on Chopin) that were widely distributed in the US by a Book-of-the-Month offshoot back in the '60s and '70s and that show up for absurdly low amounts at thrifts and used bookstores. These are treasures--and contain many of the same performances, in excellent sound, that are found on several of the CDs already noted here.

I've suggested several times, on this forum and elsewhere, that it's time for Brilliant or Naxos or some label to collect and reissue all the Moravec available.

Um...can you tell that I rather like the pianist?
;D

Cheers,

Dirk

rubio

I very much consider this one at the moment :):

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

George

Quote from: Zhiliang on July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM
Hi, i have just bought a cd of Ivan Moravec playing the Chopin Ballades and have been impressed. Are there any other essential or great recordings i can also buy?

Anything with his name on it. Especially the ones by Chopin or Beethoven.  8)

Que

Quote from: rubio on July 08, 2008, 10:29:28 AM
I very much consider this one at the moment :):

Bélholávek does not quite match Moravec's level of inspiration, but the Czech Philharmonic is a pleasure to the ear.

Q

George

Quote from: Que on July 08, 2008, 10:58:13 AM
Bélholávek does not quite match Moravec's level of inspiration, but the Czech Philharmonic is a pleasure to the ear.

Q

Yes, while not a top choice, there is much to enjoy in that set.

Josquin des Prez

Moravec's Appassionata is as definitive as you can get.

ezodisy

Quote from: Todd on July 08, 2008, 09:12:17 AM

this is my favourite Moravec release. However as others have said, whatever you buy will have something special about it. In particular keep an eye out for a rare Moravec/Ancerl CD of Prokofiev PC 1.

Bogey

Saw him live in March of 2007.  He performed Mozart's PC No. 14 and Franck's Symphonic Variations for Piano and Orchestra.....absolutely incredible.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Daverz

Really, anything of his that you can get your hands on.  However, I never got the Brahms concertos as the reviews seemed rather luke warm on that one (more the fault of Behlolavek, I suspect.)

In addition to what others have recommended:

The second has his earlier recording of the Beethoven 4th concerto with Turnovsky.  That last one has sonatas 8, 14, 23 & 26.  If you do buy any of the VAI CDs, check them right away.  I got one that wouldn't play at all and had to be replaced.

Zhiliang

Thanks for all the recommendations. Now i know, he is THAT GOOD :P    I have already ordered the Nocturnes....

mn dave

aquablob

If you enjoy Moravec in Chopin (why wouldn't you?), I would recommend the 2002 release from Vox Classics (VXP 7908) on which he plays the Bb Minor sonata, the Berceuse, the Fantaisie, three mazurkas, and perhaps most importantly, his hands-down best recording of the 4th Ballade. So far as I know, there are three available recordings of Moravec playing the 4th Ballade. Of the three, this is definitely the best, and probably the best recording of the piece I have heard. (Another excellent recording of Moravec playing this piece is stuck at the end of the Supraphon release of the 24 Preludes).

And I would repeat the recommendations for his nocturnes -- unrivaled in my opinion. I have been on a Moravec kick as of late. Certainly one of the greatest living pianists.

As a side note, I've also recently discovered Earl Wild's Chopin. If you find Moravec's Ballades convincing, I have a feeling you may also enjoy Wild's recording of the Ballades and Scherzos... his interpretations are unlike Moravec's, but the two are similar in that they both fully/maturely understand the music and bring out all sorts of nuances many others miss.

Why do so few people know of Moravec?

Daverz

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 05:52:41 PM
Anyone have this?

Yes, it's pretty good, but I still think I prefer the Schumann recording with Neumann.