Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 04, 2009, 12:12:15 PM
We could all go see him in Kansas City, too  :):

http://www.ivanmoravec.net/schedule/schedule.html#apr17.2009gig
OMG. I would willingly steal a friend's car, drive all day Friday, and sleep in the backseat that night and drive back all day Saturday to see that. If I had a guarantee I wouldn't be arrested.

aquablob

Quote from: Brian on February 04, 2009, 05:28:40 PM
OMG. I would willingly steal a friend's car, drive all day Friday, and sleep in the backseat that night and drive back all day Saturday to see that. If I had a guarantee I wouldn't be arrested.

Or a guarantee that the show won't be canceled! I mean, seriously — why Kansas City, and nowhere else in the Midwest? Sounds like a show begging to get the axe... but maybe not!

(And I'm seriously considering getting tickets, by the way :D)

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 04, 2009, 05:42:01 PM
Or a guarantee that the show won't be canceled! I mean, seriously — why Kansas City, and nowhere else in the Midwest? Sounds like a show begging to get the axe... but maybe not!

(And I'm seriously considering getting tickets, by the way :D)

I live in New York City for crying out loud. You think it would be easy for me to see Moravec or Gekic.  ::)  :-[  >:(

aquablob

Quote from: George on February 04, 2009, 05:43:46 PM
I live in New York City for crying out loud. You think it would be easy for me to see Moravec or Gekic.  ::)  :-[  >:(

But he's apparently playing at Middlebury and Princeton in April, too!

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 04, 2009, 06:02:33 PM
But he's apparently playing at Middlebury and Princeton in April, too!

Ohhhh. Princeton, home of the best used record store in the galaxy!!  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Herman on February 04, 2009, 05:58:07 AM
Ages ago I picked that one up from a used bin. What's so special about them is that Moravec's omterp of the Scherzi is 100% classical and restrained. This sounds dull compared to some of the fireworks you can get in the Scherzi, but it's really very exciting.

I found this recording at a used shop, too.

And I agree with your description. Moravec may never win any prizes for keyboard acrobatics but he finds other ways to 'wow' a listener. His combination of poetry, symmetry, and color makes the most of these Scherzi.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on February 04, 2009, 05:28:40 PM

Go to Paris -- no one cares where you sleep there.

And the food's better than Kansas.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gabriel

Quote from: Novi on February 03, 2009, 12:11:18 PM
For those of you in the area, you may wish to consider this recital at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in April:

IVAN MORAVEC, Piano

Schumann : Kinderszenen (Scènes d'enfants) op. 15
Beethoven : Sonate n° 23 en fa mineur op. 57 « Appassionata »
Debussy : Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir
Children's Corner
Chopin : Ballade n° 4 en fa mineur op. 52
Ballade n° 1 en sol mineur op. 23

http://www.theatrechampselysees.fr/saison-detail.php?t=5&s=127

The timing sucks for me as I can't leave the country at that time :'(.  Check out the programme ...

I have already bought my tickets...  ;D

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2009, 08:41:29 PM
Go to Paris -- no one cares where you sleep there.
Getting there would be a trick  ;D

ezodisy

speaking of Paris I just watched Paris Hilton's British Best Friend (BBF). I can't believe that chick walked out at the end. Jesus. TTYN for her

Mandryka

I've been playing this all day, and I'd like to let everyone know that it is now my favourite CD.

Everything about it seems perfect -- the speed, the tone, the rhythm . . .

Hey Holden,

You said a while ago in another thread that you liked Klara Wurtz's Mozart. I'm tempted. Has it stood the test of time?

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2009, 06:02:34 AM
I've been playing this all day, and I'd like to let everyone know that it is now my favourite CD.

Everything about it seems perfect -- the speed, the tone, the rhythm . . .

Good news, as I have the 4CD box set coming (at some point) and that was one of two CDs from the box that I haven't heard yet.

The Beethoven one is incredible!

Mandryka

Quote from: George on February 14, 2009, 06:04:40 AM
Good news, as I have the 4CD box set coming (at some point) and that was one of two CDs from the box that I haven't heard yet.

The Beethoven one is incredible!

Yeah, especially the Pathetique.

My advice is you cancel that order with MDT and buy the thing through amazon.

Life's too short.

I've just ordered his live disc with the Haydn. I want to hear everything this man did.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2009, 06:10:42 AM
My advice is you cancel that order with MDT and buy the thing through amazon.

Life's too short.

Thanks. It costs more than double on amazon and I got an email from a supervisor awhile back that they were getting me a copy. Plus I still got tons of stuff that haven't been played once.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2009, 06:02:34 AM

Hey Holden,

You said a while ago in another thread that you liked Klara Wurtz's Mozart. I'm tempted. Has it stood the test of time?

Yes, most definitely!
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Do you guys know that there are lots of Moravec recordings available for download on e-music?  http://www.emusic.com

You can even get his hard to find -- and outstandingly brilliant --  Beethoven 3rd concerto with Neumann.

The sound is surprisingly good.

And there's a free two week trial period where you can make upto 25 free downloads.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on February 20, 2009, 03:49:50 AM
Do you guys know that there are lots of Moravec recordings available for download on e-music?  http://www.emusic.com

You can even get his hard to find -- and outstandingly brilliant --  Beethoven 3rd concerto with Neumann.

And there's a free two week trial period where you can make upto 25 free downloads.

Is the Appassionata there?
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on February 20, 2009, 07:09:57 PM
Is the Appassionata there?

Sadly, it isn't. I just checked.

aquablob

Yeah, seriously... I want his Appassionata. Anybody??

dirkronk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 20, 2009, 03:49:50 AM

Like that one, do you, Mandryka? I've always thought it rather quirky, myself...at least in comparison, say, to Annie Fischer's classic take of the 3rd with Fricsay. OTOH, Moravec's recordings of the 4th are beautifully done. I don't think I've ever heard of Moravec playing any other Beethoven concertos, though. Darn. Why no Emperor from this guy, I wonder?

Cheers,

Dirk