Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: AB68 on March 04, 2009, 03:30:37 AM
I think I'll have to go to Paris to hear him in april.
I had tickets to his Edinburgh concert last year, but he had to cancel due to illness. It was a major disapointment.
God knows how many more chances there will be to hear him live, isn't he close to 80?

Indeed he is. He will be 79 this November 9th.

Holden

I finally got to hear his very much touted Appassionata last night. Yes this is an excellent version of this work but for me it does not outshine any of the 4 that Richter recorded around 1960, Gilels' 1961 on Brilliant or the devilishly whirlwind Rubinstein of 1945.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on March 05, 2009, 11:11:29 AM
I finally got to hear his very much touted Appassionata last night. Yes this is an excellent version of this work but for me it does not outshine any of the 4 that Richter recorded around 1960, Gilels' 1961 on Brilliant or the devilishly whirlwind Rubinstein of 1945.

Agreed. Though I have yet to hear the Rubinstein 1945 version.

Herman

Quote from: AB68 on March 04, 2009, 03:30:37 AM
I think I'll have to go to Paris to hear him in april.
I had tickets to his Edinburgh concert last year, but he had to cancel due to illness. It was a major disapointment.
God knows how many more chances there will be to hear him live, isn't he close to 80?

I would not recommend travelling serious distances for a Moravec recital.

In his case there's always a big cancellation risk.

purephase

Someone uploaded Moravec's Appassionata onto Youtube a couple of days ago.  I know it's a far from ideal format, but I enjoyed hearing it since I haven't been able to track down a copy.

1.  Allegro assai
http://www.youtube.com/v/aIs-y5Is0mg

2.  Andante con moto
http://www.youtube.com/v/wbTAfMRw-7o

3.  Allegro ma non troppo
http://www.youtube.com/v/w0KuVh1Fc3w

Dancing Divertimentian

Wanted to follow up on this from another thread:

Quote from: George on March 13, 2009, 04:49:19 AM
The review says that Moravec recorded the preludes twice, but I have only seen one recording from Moravec. Even his website only lists one.  :-\

Moravec's first recording of the preludes comes from the '60s, last seen on VAI.

Look here, note Gerber's review midway down.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on March 13, 2009, 08:34:05 AM
Wanted to follow up on this from another thread:

Moravec's first recording of the preludes comes from the '60s, last seen on VAI.

Look here, note Gerber's review midway down.

Thanks very much buddy!   

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on March 13, 2009, 10:08:11 AM
:)

I like that Gerber prefers the one that I already have. The one that doesn't cost $50.  :)

Gabriel

I'm just arriving from Moravec's concert at the Théâtre des Champs Élysées. I was very impressed by the beauty of his tone and by his very clear playing. My biggest concern was that I felt that he was - how to explain it - trying to hold the music as if it would be a horse that could go out of control; it was not a technical problem, for I saw him at ease with difficult passages, so it was his personal approach to the works. (I guess I am writing under the impression of the outer movements of the Appassionata: his reflexive, intellectual approach was something really remarkable, considering that it is a work most suitable for volcanic musical outbursts).

His best moments, in my opinion, were the slow movement of the Appassionata, the two Chopin Ballades (1 and 4)... and one of the bis, the Finale to Haydn's sonata Hob. XVI:37 (this one, really delightfully played).

In spite of some heavy coughing by the audience (during Schumann's Kinderszenen it was particularly annoying), a splendid musical evening by monsieur Moravec.

George

Wow, two Ballades, the Appassionata and Kinderszenen!! Incredible playlist, especially for a Moravec concert. 

Gabriel

Quote from: George on April 08, 2009, 02:56:13 PM
Wow, two Ballades, the Appassionata and Kinderszenen!! Incredible playlist, especially for a Moravec concert. 

An add to that Debussy's Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air and Children's corner. And, also as a bis, Chopin's op. 28/7.  ;)

George

Quote from: Gabriel on April 08, 2009, 03:03:10 PM
An add to that Debussy's Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air and Children's corner. And, also as a bis, Chopin's op. 28/7.  ;)

Just when I had wiped the drool from my keyboard.... :-\

;)

aquablob

Gabriel

Mandryka

Quote from: Gabriel on April 08, 2009, 02:45:45 PM
. (I guess I am writing under the impression of the outer movements of the Appassionata: his reflexive, intellectual approach was something really remarkable, considering that it is a work most suitable for volcanic musical outbursts).

I have a very high opinion of his Appasionata recording precisely because of that restraint. I like it. There are different ways of responding to the work, equally valid and pleasurable. And not everyone responds like Richer or Levy.

Quote from: Gabriel on April 08, 2009, 02:45:45 PM

His best moments, in my opinion, . . . the Finale to Haydn's sonata Hob. XVI:37 (this one, really delightfully played).

There's a record where he plays that whole sonata very well -- one of the best interpretations of it I have ever heard.

I can imagine the Schumann could have been good -- his light and reflective approach would suit a lot of Kinderszenen I guess -- but the fact that you don't say much about it makes me think it wasn't a high point of the concert.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gabriel

Quote from: Mandryka on April 08, 2009, 11:29:59 PM
I can imagine the Schumann could have been good -- his light and reflective approach would suit a lot of Kinderszenen I guess -- but the fact that you don't say much about it makes me think it wasn't a high point of the concert.

I had the impression that he was warming up, as it was the first work to be performed, but it was played with utmost delicacy and sense of equilibrium.

George

Quote from: Ahasver on May 05, 2009, 06:53:06 AM
Ivan Moravec plays 4th Ballade. Théatre des Champs-Elysées. Paris. 2009
http://www.mediafire.com/?oyydomq2jqw  :)

Thanks!  :D

and welcome!

Mandryka

Has anyone heard the new live CD -- this one?

If so -- how is it?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2009, 11:35:22 PM
Has anyone heard the new live CD -- this one?

If so -- how is it?

I've got it!

I've only listened to the Chopin playing (two nocturnes, two mazurkas, Scherzo No 1), but it's as wonderful as you would expect. I believe the recital actually dates back to sometime around 1983, but this is its first (?) appearance on CD.