Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 13, 2010, 08:07:19 PM
Wow, big sigh..............

I know, right?

I think people's initial reaction to tape hiss is negative, I know mine sure was. But once I realized what was lost at the expense of noise reduction, I became a fan of analog tape hiss.  ;D Plus, those historical records sure cured me of any allergy I had to it.  8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on September 13, 2010, 08:10:31 PM
I know, right?

I think people's initial reaction to tape hiss is negative, I know mine sure was. But once I realized what was lost at the expense of noise reduction, I became a fan of analog tape hiss.  ;D Plus, those historical records sure cured me of any allergy I had to it.  8)

Yeah, it might just be a knee-jerk reaction to all the "noise" from the old days but if given time to adjust - to just listen - there's no reason at all to overreact and lop off overtones. Technical standards are pretty high these days for reissues so I don't get the reasoning for this overkill. I guess "pristine digital" is what the Holy Grail looks like to the marketing monkeys so they go for it no matter what the sonic cost. But that's totally backwards... ??? 
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Holden

Quote from: dirkronk on September 13, 2010, 05:07:25 AM

Oh...and while at their website: I also noticed that they have a Babayan CD listed that I've somehow managed to overlook before now (how the heck did THAT happen?), so will probably be ordering soon.

Dirk, what is Babayan playing on this recording?
Cheers

Holden

dirkronk

Quote from: Holden on September 14, 2010, 01:23:36 AM
Dirk, what is Babayan playing on this recording?

Holden:
Here's the listing, word for word:
CD 4195 • Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit; La Valse (Trans. by the composer for piano solo). Prokofiev: 5 Sarcasms, Op.17. Liszt: Ballade No.2 in B minor. Sergei Babayan, pianist. "It is the vivid character in the playing that sets Babayan's artistry apart." (Cleveland Plain Dealer) "Arresting sweep and drama." (Fort Worth Star Telegraph)

Of course, this doesn't help, if Drasko's right about it not actually being available at CS's Ebay store...or elsewhere. Grrrrr.

Dirk

Coopmv

Quote from: George on September 13, 2010, 08:10:31 PM
I know, right?

I still much prefer the original source to have come from tape than 78's ...

George

Quote from: Coopmv on September 14, 2010, 06:52:31 PM
I still much prefer the original source to have come from tape than 78's ...

When possible, sure.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on September 14, 2010, 06:57:00 PM
When possible, sure.

I still have 3 open-reel tape decks and obviously do not have problems listening to tapes ...

George

Quote from: Coopmv on September 14, 2010, 07:02:07 PM
I still have 3 open-reel tape decks and obviously do not have problems listening to tapes ...

People want stuff to have zero noise, like something recorded yesterday. In modernizing the old stuff, they make it sound dull and lifeless. All that sparkle and beautiful tone gets ruined.  :-\

Bogey

Quote from: George on September 14, 2010, 07:04:58 PM
People want stuff to have zero noise, like something recorded yesterday. In modernizing the old stuff, they make it sound dull and lifeless. All that sparkle and beautiful tone gets ruined.  :-\

"rings bell"
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on September 17, 2010, 08:18:55 PM
"rings bell"

I am eagerly awaiting my latest order of Moravec's Supraphon CD's to arrive from Presto Classical ...    ;)

George

Here's an absolutely superb video of Ivan Moravec discussing the piano, some influences and his thoughts on recording in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4ChhWLykk&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Bogey

Well, just gave this a listen:

Had the soup cans on with noise cancelling in use in a very quiet room to boot.  The Appassionata's third movement is not to be missed, but what did it for me was the third movement of the Pathétique....WOW!  I believe I have a new favorite for this piece, but will have to let myself settle down to a rational level first.  However, that third was INCREDIBLE!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

PS On the above recording, is it just me or during the third movement of Les Adieux I detect "Vegh-like" breathing?

George

Quote from: Bogey on January 18, 2011, 06:54:29 PM
Well, just gave this a listen:

Had the soup cans on with noise cancelling in use in a very quiet room to boot.  The Appassionata's third movement is not to be missed, but what did it for me was the third movement of the Pathétique....WOW!  I believe I have a new favorite for this piece, but will have to let myself settle down to a rational level first.  However, that third was INCREDIBLE!

0:)

Bogey

Spinning for the first time and enjoying very much:

Mozart
Piano Concertos 14 and 23
Recorded April of '74
Prague
Supraphon label (DC-8068)

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 10, 2011, 10:10:31 AM
Spinning for the first time and enjoying very much:

Mozart
Piano Concertos 14 and 23
Recorded April of '74
Prague
Supraphon label (DC-8068)

Bill's in heaven.   0:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

This performance of Children's Corner sounds excellent to me. From a concert a couple of years ago in Paris. AFAIK he recorded it just once in the 60s -- never on CD but there's a transfer on demonoid. Does anyone have the files of this Paris concert?

http://www.youtube.com/v/E4Jb9WoDus4
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mandryka on July 31, 2011, 01:25:21 PM
This performance of Children's Corner sounds excellent to me. From a concert a couple of years ago in Paris. AFAIK he recorded it just once in the 60s -- never on CD but there's a transfer on demonoid.

Actually, it is on CD, but it might as well not be. It's on a long out-of-print VAI disc and is impossible to find. I have it, thankfully...*deep exhale*.

[asin]B000003LJF[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 31, 2011, 05:28:01 PM
Actually, it is on CD, but it might as well not be. It's on a long out-of-print VAI disc and is impossible to find.

It's on Demonoid.  0:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on July 31, 2011, 05:32:04 PM
It's on Demonoid.  0:)

I don't follow. Wasn't Mandryka wondering about a Children's Corner issued commercially on CD? Am I missing something? :(