Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 31, 2011, 05:38:36 PM
I don't follow. Wasn't Mandryka wondering about a Children's Corner issued commercially on CD? Am I missing something? :(

Yes, he was. A kind soul shared a copy of that CD with another kind soul who is currently sharing the FLAC files over at Demonoid. I was just giving Mandryka a heads-up.

EDIT: But now I see that he already was aware of this.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Now playing:

Debussy
Claire de lune
Children's Corner Suite

The combination of playing, piano tone and recorded sound here is breathtaking. VAI should have never let this go OOP.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on July 31, 2011, 06:09:37 PM
VAI should have never let this go OOP.

Good thing those "kind souls" have kept it in, err...circulation! ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 31, 2011, 06:20:55 PM
Good thing those "kind souls" have kept it in, err...circulation! ;D

As you know, Supraphon reissued some of this material, but not all of it. They did the same with his Beethoven and Chopin recordings. Why they chose to do this is beyond me.   

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on July 31, 2011, 06:26:54 PM
As you know, Supraphon reissued some of this material, but not all of it. They did the same with his Beethoven and Chopin recordings. Why they chose to do this is beyond me.

Sad but true... :-\

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

The thing on demonoid id an LP rip I think. I didn't know that the VAI CD existed (can I have it George?)

The next problem is to find the recording of that Paris concert.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dancing Divertimentian

Hmm...a year without a Moravec post. So...

That super-rare VAI French recital set (two discs) is going for big bucks on ebay (apparently in a packaged deal with other Moravec). Stunning set of course for anyone $$$ inclined:

Here's the link.

Karl Henning

I was going to say that's at the MFA, but of course, there's more than one haystack by Monet out thar.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2012, 01:44:24 PM
George! Where are you? This week guess what I've been hearing for the first time!

*heart melts*

By the way, this Supraphon re-release has been newly (2012) remastered and contains a 4-page interview with Moravec himself on what it's like to hear the recording again after 50 years.

George

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2012, 07:54:35 PM

This is the same recording as the following set, which I have.

Brian

George

I've got it, Brian.  0:)

Brian

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on September 16, 2012, 05:32:30 PM
Anybody have this?

I have it, too.

If you're after recommendations I've always preferred the Supraphon recordings of each concerto to this one. Not because the playing's bad but because the disc is somewhat dimly recorded. Not quite the quality I'd expect from Dorian, which in general is known for their high-quality sonics.

George

Quote from: Brian on September 16, 2012, 06:04:26 PM
I'm sure! Got thoughts on it?

Only heard it once, but I wasn't wowed by it.

George

Anyone hear this new mastering yet?

Or more specifically, has anyone compared it to the Nonesuch release (below)?

Bogey

Cannot imagine it being that much improved?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 10, 2013, 09:38:45 AM
Cannot imagine it being that much improved?

Nope. And I just read an amazon.uk review that claims that they removed the hiss. I don't like what noise reduction does to the piano tone (the Nocturnes were recorded in 1965, on analog tape that inherently has hiss), so I won't be getting the Supraphon.

Brian

I have not heard the Nonesuch version, but I have heard the Supraphon. The piano tone's certainly wonderful. I think I'll rip a track and post it later today...

The Supraphon comes with a great, long interview with Moravec about his pianism.