Russian orthodox chant

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, July 09, 2008, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I've really been getting into this stuff since my visit to Russia last year. I recently bought the Brilliant 2 CD set of "Russian Orthodox Church Music", which, while nice, seems to contain more modern music (e.g., compositions by Rimsky-Korsakoff, Rachmaninoff, etc.); I'm really looking for the older (ie., more medieval sounding) chant, which does not use huge choirs, where you can hear individual voices. Do any of you collect and/or listen to this stuff? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Harry

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on July 09, 2008, 11:16:12 PM
I've really been getting into this stuff since my visit to Russia last year. I recently bought the Brilliant 2 CD set of "Russian Orthodox Church Music", which, while nice, seems to contain more modern music (e.g., compositions by Rimsky-Korsakoff, Rachmaninoff, etc.); I'm really looking for the older (ie., more medieval sounding) chant, which does not use huge choirs, where you can hear individual voices. Do any of you collect and/or listen to this stuff? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well that really depends on what you want, if Russian Orthodox chant from monasteries are you goal, the choice is limitless, or small choirs in the church tradition, singing Liturgies, Matins and all kind of services.
Bortnyianski could be a good choice on chandos,  he wrote beautiful choir works, and there are a few more.
I am Russian Orthodox, so I collect recordings and listen to them.

XB-70 Valkyrie

This is the one I bought in Novgorod; I enjoy this CD a great deal.

The CD itself probably doesn't tell you much, so here is the website:
http://www.psalom.ru/cd.htm

I also like the chant featured in the film Encounters at the End of The World. Trailer here (chant starting at about 37 secs into the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ind05ZVOEec

canninator

As the Russian orthodox church is one of a number of Eastern churches that show similarities in liturgy I would recommend you investigate beyond the ROC for what you want.

In the first place I would recommend Soeur Marie Keyrouz's stunning Byzantine Chant on Harmonia Mundi. You should also get hold of a recording of the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom. Lycourgos Angelopoulos and the Greek Byzantine Choir are spectacular in this. In fact, anything from Angelopoulos is highly recommended (including his collaborations with Marcel Peres and Ensemble Organum on their recreations of early non-Gregorian liturgies).

In reality, of course, many of the really interesting Eastern and Oriental liturgies that I think would interest you are poorly and rarely recorded. Hope this helps.

karlhenning

This is music; why is this in the Diner?

uffeviking

Because I just got up and haven't had time yet to do my moderating chores!  $:)

Consider it done, Karl!  :-*

karlhenning

bhodges

Nice to see a thread on this music.  Although I love choral music of all periods, I haven't heard much in this repertoire and won't have much to contribute.  But I'll be reading with interest.

--Bruce

Anne

I have a CD that I love and think you might too.  It is called Basso Profundo from Old Russia.  There is a leader (a basso profundo) who leads the chants and hymns.  The choir is called The Orthodox Singers male choir.  I bought this CD either at Berkshire or Overstock?  Not sure of that last name.

Wanderer

Quote from: canninator on July 10, 2008, 12:42:28 AM
As the Russian orthodox church is one of a number of Eastern churches that show similarities in liturgy I would recommend you investigate beyond the ROC for what you want.

I'd make a suggestion along those lines, as well. The Russian tradition is but one in a line of national schools of eastern orthodox chant. There's so much to be discovered!

Quote from: canninator on July 10, 2008, 12:42:28 AM
You should also get hold of a recording of the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom. Lycourgos Angelopoulos and the Greek Byzantine Choir are spectacular in this. In fact, anything from Angelopoulos is highly recommended...

I second this recommendation; in fact, I'd say that this release is mandatory for anyone interested in Byzantine chant. Angelopoulos and his choir are among the best performers in this repertoire and their discs are readily available outside Greece (which, unfortunately, is not the case for other excellent local choirs).

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions. I am indeed interested in all types of chant (in addition to Gregorian), including Buddhist, Muslim, examples from the early christian church, as well as the Russian orthodox/ chants of the eastern church. I've had the Ensemble Organum recordings of Mozarabic and Ambrosian chant on my wish list for years, but apparently they are long OP.

I was in downtown Vancouver looking for some of these suggestions, but, as with so many things in Canada, I just couldn't stomach the prices. The Basso Profundo CD on Harmonia Mundi was $28 (+12% sales tax), compared to $13 (free shipping, no tax) on Amazon.com! (THank god I have a U.S. address I can ship to!) The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is not available from Amazon, so i'll have to dig it up elsewhere. 

Spineur

I would be interested to learn what are the differences in the music used during the orthodox liturgy in
1) Russia
2) Armenia
3) Bulgaria (probably pretty close to Armenia)
4) Greece
5) Romania

I have a couple recordings of St John Chrysostom liturgy (russian) a some very nice Armenia orthodox music  which uses antiphony (two choruses responding to each other).  From what I recall from my visit to Greece, the music I heard was somewhat simpler.

Anyway, I wish to learn....