Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Wanderer

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 16, 2021, 05:08:18 AM
Enjoying Medtner's PC 3 (Tozer).  Planning to buy discs by other performers as well.

And? Did ya?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Wanderer on November 02, 2021, 10:36:36 PM
And? Did ya?

I have a few other recordings now. I think I like the Ponti recording from Vox. I maybe biased because I like old recordings.

Wanderer

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 03, 2021, 05:56:17 PM
I have a few other recordings now. I think I like the Ponti recording from Vox. I maybe biased because I like old recordings.

Good to know! I don't think you liking the Vox recording is because of any bias, the Ponti rendition of the Third Concerto is indeed special, not to mention quite different from the others. The swift tempo suits the work well. It's a favourite of mine too.

Roy Bland

It's devoted entirely to Alexander Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky, A: Etudes in Simple Tones, Concerto No. 2 for viola, piano solo, and orchestra

Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra
Mariss Jansons
Tchaikovsky, A: Concerto for two pianos and orchestra, Op. 70

Mariss Jansons
Tchaikovsky, A: Symphony No. 4 for choir, orchestra & solo viola, Op. 78

Mariss Jansons

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 22, 2021, 05:58:21 PM
It contains some composers as Flyarkovsky,Butsko,Irakli Gabeli and Yanchenko

Quote from: pjme on January 23, 2021, 02:03:12 AM
Interesting collection, Roy.

details:

Youri Boutsko: Symphonie Nr. 2 in 4 fragmentierten Sätzen;
Irakli Gabeli: Symphonie Nr. 1 (Dramatic Dialogue);
Alexander Flyarkovsky: Urildaan, Festive Poem on Buryatian Themes;
Oleg Yanchenko: Symphony Andrei Rublev;

I hadn't noticed this great release! These works mostly drew my attention. Me wants to hear this.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Cato

A part of the soundtrack for Andrei Rublev by our lamented and almost forgotten Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov has been performed by a singer/composer named Sarah Davachi.

Scroll down and the first track is the excerpt.

https://www.factmag.com/2020/09/14/sarah-davachi-fact-mix/
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on November 20, 2021, 02:51:26 AM
A part of the soundtrack for Andrei Rublev by our lamented and almost forgotten Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov has been performed by a singer/composer named Sarah Davachi.

Very nice Leo. Reminds me a bit of his War and Peace music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Cato

According to a person on YouTube, a ceremony of some sort took place on November 24th in the hometown of Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov and a memorial plaque was set up.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I cannot find a thing about it.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 03, 2021, 05:56:17 PM

Ponti's Medtner 3rd is definitely different from the others; there's a wonderful, ~impressionistic flow to it, where others tend to be heavier.
In my Top-10 of piano concerto recordings.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on November 20, 2021, 02:51:26 AM

They've already made a movie on the Russian tennis player Andrey Rublev?!  But he's barely started his professional tennis career!  ???

Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;)  But, seriously, that sounds like it would make for a very interesting topic for a movie.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 05:59:40 AM
They've already made a movie on the Russian tennis player Andrey Rublev?!  But he's barely started his professional tennis career!  ???

Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;)  But, seriously, that sounds like it would make for a very interesting topic for a movie.

PD

;)

The movie concerns a Medieval artist by that name:

https://www.youtube.com/v/zUePS__gfVM&lc=UgwLQgWagQnBeCrdelx4AaABAg.951fKgCvKP39VMeIKkK4L5

The movie was directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.  It is available from Criterion.

Quote from: Cato on December 01, 2021, 05:37:12 AM

According to a person on YouTube, a ceremony of some sort took place on November 24th in the hometown of Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov and a memorial plaque was set up.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I cannot find a thing about it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on December 01, 2021, 06:18:48 AM
;)

The movie concerns a Medieval artist by that name:

https://www.youtube.com/v/zUePS__gfVM&lc=UgwLQgWagQnBeCrdelx4AaABAg.951fKgCvKP39VMeIKkK4L5

The movie was directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.  It is available from Criterion.
Yes, I googled the artist--and the movie.   ;D  Perhaps I might be able to get ahold of a copy through interlibrary loan?  And will check out the music in a bit too; thank you for that imbed.

PD

p.s.  By the way, regarding the tennis player, he's only 24 years old and ranked No. 5 in the world.  Not too shabby, eh?  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

Cato

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 10, 2021, 07:55:38 PM
IMHO a good novelty

The Curious Case of Reinhold Gliere!  A great talent!

My friends and I knew about Gliere through some severely truncated monophonic recordings of the Third Symphony "Ilya Murometz" conducted by Stokowski and Fricsay.  One of my friends found the mono recording with the entire work conducted by Hermann Scherchen in the Dayton Public Library, and that was passed around quite a bit!

The CHANDOS CD with Edward Downes conducting has the nearly complete score and is an excellent performance.  Somewhere out there is a complete performance from the 1970's, and I have read that it is the best ever: on Melodiya with a Russian orchestra and Nathan Rakhlin conducting.  However, I have also read the transfer to CD (Russian Disc) was botched or that the original tapes might have been allowed to deteriorate.

Roy Bland