Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

André

It's on Spotify - and such-and-suches, I guess.

Mirror Image

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2021, 06:26:57 AM
No physical format?

The picture showed by other posters is clearly that of a physical lp  :-\

André

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 15, 2021, 06:31:00 AM

The picture showed by other posters is clearly that of a physical lp  :-\

Hmmm....the photo from Roy Bland looks like a CD. Anyway, the availability of this one looks non-existent or so it seems.

Pohjolas Daughter

I've recently encountered the music of the Azerbaijani composer Franghiz Alizadeh.  There is a complete album of her music with the Kronos quartet which I enjoyed titled Mugam Sayagi.  She's a contemporary female classical music composer.  Or if you have their Night Prayers album, one of her works is also on there.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

IT is a cd
https://www.azernews.az/culture/181626.html
I have asked to Liepaja orchestra and they say that there aren't other release scheduled
http://enene.musigi-dunya.az/simfonik_mugam.html

vandermolen

I just received a copy of this book today from the author. I did some proof-reading for it and was pleased get a nice mention in the acknowledgments. The three are Roslavets, Popov and Mosolov - all of whose music I admire:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 16, 2021, 10:44:04 AM
I just received a copy of this book today from the author. I did some proof-reading for it and was pleased get a nice mention in the acknowledgments. The three are Roslavets, Popov and Mosolov - all of whose music I admire:

Cool!  And I see that you're a man of many side hustles er talents too!  ;) :) Just teasing you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on December 16, 2021, 10:52:28 AM
I don't suppose there's any chance you get some heavily discounted copies of this...?

I just checked Amazon and their discounted price is GBP 96 (down from 103). :o :o :o

[guilt trip]
Please use whatever influence you have (which I'm sure is considerable) on our behalf.
[/guilt trip]
It's available on Kindle for $50 (US Amazon)?  If that helps.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Thank you guys  ;D
I was sent a copy as a freebie as I didn't charge anything for my proof-reading work. I'm happy to ask the author, Gregor about the most inexpensive way of getting a copy of his book. Gregor also wrote a biography of Myaskovsky (I prefer Miaskovsky) 'The Conscience of Russian Music'. The first biography in English since Ikkonikov's wartime biography was translated into English.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 16, 2021, 10:51:32 AM
Cool!  And I see that you're a man of many side hustles er talents too!  ;) :) Just teasing you!

PD
'side hustles' (great expression) is true PD  ;D

vandermolen

I don't suppose there's any chance you get some heavily discounted copies of this...?

I just checked Amazon and their discounted price is GBP 96 (down from 103). :o :o :o

[guilt trip]
Please use whatever influence you have (which I'm sure is considerable) on our behalf.
[/guilt trip]
I've asked Gregor for advice on this.

vandermolen

[guilt trip]
[/guilt trip]
No promises, but if you wait a bit (next month) it might be possible to obtain copies at £35 according to Gregor.

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on December 16, 2021, 12:13:25 PM
That would be brilliant.  I understand about the pricing of academic volumes ... but 96 quid!!! - sheesh.  Just a bit more realistic, and he has a confirmed sale. :)  Thanks for making the enquiry.
My pleasure.
Gregor says, wherever you live, please contact him directly about the possibility of obtaining a discounted copy of his book.
gtassie@hotmail.co.uk,