Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2022, 02:16:19 PM
Hi John.
A Hyperion disc with the Chamber Symphony etc
Naxos - Symphony No.1
Russian Disc - Symphony No.2 (+ I have another recording featuring Symphony No.2)
+ this one

Alright, thanks, Jeffrey. Like you, I own two recordings of the 2nd symphony. I own around 12 recordings of his music, but I added some more today, which I'll post in the 'Purchases' thread momentarily. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 02:29:20 PM
Alright, thanks, Jeffrey. Like you, I own two recordings of the 2nd symphony. I own around 12 recordings of his music, but I added some more today, which I'll post in the 'Purchases' thread momentarily. ;)
Excellent John!
(bedtime for me now)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Concerning Alexander Nemtin, who spent 30 years with the sketches and outlines for Scriabin's unfinished Prefatory Action and produced the nearly 3-hour Mysterium: apparently someone published a study of his Concerto for Organ 18-months ago.

...Nemtin's own musical compositions are much less known to musicians or music lovers. They are written mostly in a traditional style, with predominantly diationic harmonies, their textures follow the vein of Romantic instrumental music with a very moderate implementation of neoclassical and more modernist elements of 20th century music.

Among them is a large-scale work, titled the Concerto for Organ, which was composed in 1963. This composition is for solo organ, although in the large scale of its instrumental texture and the six varied movements comprising its overall formal design, it validates its somewhat extraordinary title. The Concerto for Organ is characterized by extended diatonic harmonies complemented with a large number of dissonant sonorities.

It contains a dialogue with the Baroque style and elements of stylization in the vein of Bach and other Baroque composers. Stylization in the Concerto for Organ is expressed most visibly by its adherence to the genres of the Baroque period – preludes, canons, chorales, arias, ricercars and fugues. Nemtin's Concerto follows an extended tradition of lengthy and massive works for solo organ and organ with orchestra.

Its academic formal qualities, broad use of contrapuntal techniques and adherence to well-known Baroque genres makes it aesthetically closer to the German organ tradition.

In his instrumental composition of a large-scale genre Alexander Nemtin demonstrated himself as a master of large-scale form capable of thinking in categories of massive dramaturgy and philosophic thought. He has established his place in music history not only be creating the completed version of Scriabin's "Prefatory Action," but also with his own musical compositions which continue the tradition of orchestral, vocal and chamber instrumental music by 20th century Russian composers...

See:

https://web.p.ebscohost.com/abstract?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=2782358X&AN=148482558&h=JYdYVV9sPeLo7onAUCB8ivjGK4ZhyGhwkS3O%2fmwU0QP4LCUmjco6hieCH6YLMpAS3LGQxbg2d0bdAPM9PEvHuA%3d%3d&crl=f&resultNs=AdminWebAuth&resultLocal=ErrCrlNotAuth&crlhashurl=login.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue%26profile%3dehost%26scope%3dsite%26authtype%3dcrawler%26jrnl%3d2782358X%26AN%3d148482558
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

The YouTube channel known for rarities has somehow come across the score and a recording of Yevgeny Svetlanov's Symphony from 1954.

I am listening to the  First Movement now: it sounds very Russian in the 19th-century sense.

https://www.youtube.com/v/v_1gnQooK7I

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on September 10, 2022, 03:22:04 PM
The YouTube channel known for rarities has somehow come across the score and a recording of Yevgeny Svetlanov's Symphony from 1954.

I am listening to the  First Movement now: it sounds very Russian in the 19th-century sense.

https://www.youtube.com/v/v_1gnQooK7I
It also features in the Brilliant Svetlanov set Leo.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 11, 2022, 12:22:26 AM
It also features in the Brilliant Svetlanov set Leo.

Aha!  I will investigate!  Many thanks!

YouTube also offers this tone-poem by Svetlanov:

https://www.youtube.com/v/-29dXY3ZvKI

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on September 11, 2022, 06:38:00 AM
Aha!  I will investigate!  Many thanks!

YouTube also offers this tone-poem by Svetlanov:

https://www.youtube.com/v/-29dXY3ZvKI
Disc 9 and 10 Leo - you also get the symphonies by Boiko and NYM thrown it + much more:

lordlance

A really, *really* late Romantic piano concerto:

https://www.youtube.com/v/67Lsc1ErnrU
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

vandermolen

Quote from: lordlance on October 13, 2022, 09:17:51 PM
A really, *really* late Romantic piano concerto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Lsc1ErnrU
I really enjoyed it. I bought that CD recently.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: lordlance on October 13, 2022, 09:17:51 PM
A really, *really* late Romantic piano concerto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Lsc1ErnrU

I remember hearing this work on the ASV label (I think), but it wasn't that special.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Shirvani Chalayev 's Cantata "Pirosmani"on 19 November

Symphonic Addict

Good news! At last a performance (and hopefully a future recording) of his 4th Symphony, but I didn't recall it was written for soloists and chorus. Not enticing enough to me. BTW, Popov has his own thread.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 01, 2023, 07:37:32 PMGood news! At last a performance (and hopefully a future recording) of his 4th Symphony, but I didn't recall it was written for soloists and chorus. Not enticing enough to me. BTW, Popov has his own thread.
i will move TNX

lordlance

I recently heard Bacewicz's Third and Fourth symphonies and liked it. Any other composers in similar vein?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Roy Bland

IMHO Krein's family are absolutely underrated

Roy Bland

Cato

Quote from: Roy Bland on July 02, 2023, 07:34:17 PM

I wonder why the composer's name was in such small print!

Despite the Ukrainian aspect of the recording here, Wikipedia describes Valeri Kikta as a Russian composer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeri_Kikta

YouTube offers a few of his works: this one seems intriguing!

A "Scottish" Concerto for Two Harps!

Concerning his Ukrainian connection:

vers la flamme

Any recommendations for later Soviet-era composers who flirted with the avant-garde, aside from Alfred Schnittke? I am aware of the reasons why composers of this species might be uncommon, but I suspect Schnittke must not be the only one...

relm1

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 07, 2023, 01:15:25 PMAny recommendations for later Soviet-era composers who flirted with the avant-garde, aside from Alfred Schnittke? I am aware of the reasons why composers of this species might be uncommon, but I suspect Schnittke must not be the only one...

I would suggest Rodion Shchedrin, Galina Ustvolskaya, Sofia Gubaidulina, Boris Tishchenko for starters.

vers la flamme

Quote from: relm1 on July 07, 2023, 04:59:49 PMI would suggest Rodion Shchedrin, Galina Ustvolskaya, Sofia Gubaidulina, Boris Tishchenko for starters.

Thank you! Any particular works from these composers? I have heard a bit of Gubaidulina and have a couple of her works on CD that I ought to revisit. I don't have a note from any of the others.