Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 23, 2020, 10:55:35 PM
Interesting to know. I haven't heard No.2 in ages so will lookout for my CD. 4 is very good but 5 is my favourite. I've actually enjoyed them all and the Flute and Violin Concerto.

I have the violin concerto which is coupled with his sonata for the same instrument. A programming I like and wish occurred more often.

Inspired by thread I listened to Eshpai's 3rd last night. I found the work a mix of the traditional and modern, a foot in both camps.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

staxomega

Any suggestions for really great CDs of Stanchinsky's piano music? Thank you.

Roy Bland

A major addiction : Ikarus IMHO is one finest work by Slonimsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on July 28, 2020, 06:56:32 PM
A major addiction : Ikarus IMHO is one finest work by Slonimsky

Interesting. I think that 'Icarus' ('Icare') is the finest work I have heard composed by the conductor Igor Markevitch:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on July 28, 2020, 07:00:53 PM
Interesting. I think that 'Icarus' ('Icare') is the finest work I have heard composed by the conductor Igor Markevitch:

I have to correct also Slonimsky composed a ballet on Ikarus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9uCerxSrY

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on July 28, 2020, 07:34:18 PM
I have to correct also Slonimsky composed a ballet on Ikarus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9uCerxSrY
I think that there are probably different ways of spelling it. I was not intending to correct you at all.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

The soviet Georgian composer Nektarios Chargeishvili (5 September 1937 – 14 November 1971), a 34-young Virgo wrote what, I consider, a ultra-stormy-cataclysmic wallow alla Russian Steppes! Now, THIS IS major stuff! How this composer has been passed unnoticed for so long is a crime. cilgwyn would explode by the wrath-mood-feeling of this epic and hair-rising symphony provokes!! Not only the orchestration is superbly done, but also the rhythmic vitality. I haven't hear anything as exciting as, say, Holmboe's Symphony No. 8 or Myaskovsky's Symphony No. 22. It, uncannily, finishes with an apparent calm mood, after so violent and insane music there is here.

Another composer it reminded of was the Bulgarian Emil Tabakov. Yet another creator of breathtakingly angry and hard-rhythmical symphonies and concertos, chiefly.

If you get enjoyment from Myaskovsky, Khachaturian, Shostakovich, don't miss this. No doubt here there are some of the most exciting climaxes in the Soviet symphonic literature. I mean, not apt for heart-suffering listeners!   :D :P

My last important discovery of this doom-laden-like year 2020 (?) (still to me).

BTW, this has been the year I've discovered and reassessed or reevaluated more stuff than ever. Rather fruitful in the end.

This performance had to be ultra exciting to attend. A real event for a music listener.

https://www.youtube.com/v/O9i02ussewA

This info is taken from Wiki. Despite his age, a significantly prolific man he was.

Orchestral works

Scherzo for Orchestra (1957)
Suite for Orchestra (1957)
The Return of the Prodigal Son (1967)
Concerto No. 1 for chamber orchestra with cymbal (1959)
Concerto for orchestra (1960)
Concerto No. 2 for chamber orchestra (1962)
The absence of Dobrynya (1963)
Symphonic poem by Kirsch Danilov (1965)
Dobrynia subdued the Chubis (чудь покорил) (1965)
Concerto for violin and orchestra (1966)
Suite for string orchestra in memory of C. Monteverdi (1967)
Symphony (1971)

Film music

I bought a dad (1962)
The Secret to Success (1962)
Dimka (1963)
The Traveler with Luggage (1965)
I loved you (1968)
In the country of unlearned lessons (1969)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

An incredible work indeed. Every once in a while it resurfaces at GMG. Too bad there's never been a commercial release of his music  :-[.

Roy Bland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 31, 2020, 03:30:53 PM
Another composer it reminded of was the Bulgarian Emil Tabakov. Yet another creator of breathtakingly angry and hard-rhythmical symphonies and concertos, chiefly.

Tabakov is also a strong conductor.IMHO this is the better version of this work:

vandermolen

A new film about Alexander Mosolov ('Mosolov's Suitcase) is coming out (from an American director). You can see a trailer within this article:
https://www.palmspringslife.com/mosolovs-suitcase/

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2021, 01:22:33 AM
A new film about Alexander Mosolov ('Mosolov's Suitcase) is coming out (from an American director). You can see a trailer within this article:
https://www.palmspringslife.com/mosolovs-suitcase/

The one work I want to hear from Mosolov is the complete ballet of Steel (from which the Iron Foundry movement originated), but alas, the the other movements have been lost. :(

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 02, 2021, 06:33:02 AM
The one work I want to hear from Mosolov is the complete ballet of Steel (from which the Iron Foundry movement originated), but alas, the the other movements have been lost. :(
That's a pity. I really like the new Naxos CD featuring Symphony 5 and the Harp Concerto.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra by Alexander Ma(t)chavariani, Georgian composer, in New Year's days.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 31, 2020, 05:31:40 PM
Tabakov is also a strong conductor.IMHO this is the better version of this work:

You often appear with some unusual and interesting repertoire from record labels I'm not familiar with. I remember that work from this CPO CD:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 02, 2021, 11:51:32 AM
You often appear with some unusual and interesting repertoire from record labels I'm not familiar with. I remember that work from this CPO CD:

I have listened either these discs,Tabakov's is far superion both orchestra and conducting  there is a third cd version with entire ballet
https://www.metropolismusic.rs/ohridska-legenda-balet.6190149.html

André

Some years ago a friend made me a copy of the Legend of Ohrid disc by Tabakov. What I have is a four movement suite lasting some 40 minutes. Is it all there is on the disc you picture, Roy ?

calyptorhynchus

The Chargeishvili Symphony certainly is a powerful work.

This from Wikipedia about his life: "After being critical of the Soviet regime, he was dismissed from the Moscow Conservatory. After that, he struggled to find work (he was even denied a job as a bus driver), and his mental health deteriorated. In 1971, he committed suicide by hanging. He is buried in New Athos, Georgia."

I was reflecting on the intolerance and stupidity of the Soviet regime and then it occurred to me that that in our neo-liberal world a young composer on a similar trajectory probably wouldn't even have got the conservatory job, because of "higher education reforms".
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Roy Bland

Quote from: André on January 02, 2021, 04:45:40 PM
Some years ago a friend made me a copy of the Legend of Ohrid disc by Tabakov. What I have is a four movement suite lasting some 40 minutes. Is it all there is on the disc you picture, Roy ?
Yes it is.Here complete version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ4sXX9yBTs

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2021, 08:55:11 AM
That's a pity. I really like the new Naxos CD featuring Symphony 5 and the Harp Concerto.

Very nice, Jeffrey. Symphony No. 5? I wasn't aware that Mosolov composed any symphonies aside from a symphony that appeared on the Northern Flowers label.

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 02, 2021, 05:02:58 PM
The Chargeishvili Symphony certainly is a powerful work.

This from Wikipedia about his life: "After being critical of the Soviet regime, he was dismissed from the Moscow Conservatory. After that, he struggled to find work (he was even denied a job as a bus driver), and his mental health deteriorated. In 1971, he committed suicide by hanging. He is buried in New Athos, Georgia."

I was reflecting on the intolerance and stupidity of the Soviet regime and then it occurred to me that that in our neo-liberal world a young composer on a similar trajectory probably wouldn't even have got the conservatory job, because of "higher education reforms".
How terribly sad.