Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 01, 2021, 05:42:35 AM
Ponti's Medtner 3rd is definitely different from the others; there's a wonderful, ~impressionistic flow to it, where others tend to be heavier.
In my Top-10 of piano concerto recordings.

Just curious, what are the 10 fav pc recordings of yours?  :)

lordlance

I am trying to explore Tishchenko's oeuvre - I've so far only heard Concerto for Piano, Violin and Strings, and String Quartets No. 4 and 5. His music has some similarities with Shostakovich. What are his best orchestral/concertante pieces as an introduction to his music?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

André

Quote from: lordlance on December 19, 2021, 12:25:38 PM
I am trying to explore Tishchenko's oeuvre - I've so far only heard Concerto for Piano, Violin and Strings, and String Quartets No. 4 and 5. His music has some similarities with Shostakovich. What are his best orchestral/concertante pieces as an introduction to his music?

Try his 2nd violin concerto.

This recording is generally easy to find on the marketplace. Also available on the Northern Flowers label.

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on December 19, 2021, 12:50:18 PM

This recording is generally easy to find on the marketplace. Also available on the Northern Flowers label.

Good call  I started listening to Symphony #1 and
'The Blockade Chronicle Symphony' recently, but was a little underwhelmed. #2 was better, but not enough to keep me coming back. Doubtless he is really worthwhile, but I'm not sure I would begin with his symphonic output.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 19, 2021, 01:21:09 PM
Good call  I started listening to Symphony #1 and
'The Blockade Chronicle Symphony' recently, but was a little underwhelmed. #2 was better, but not enough to keep me coming back. Doubtless he is really worthwhile, but I'm not sure I would begin with his symphonic output.

He wrote some decent symphonies. Have you ever tried his string quartets? They're much more cohesive and interesting.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 19, 2021, 01:39:30 PM
He wrote some decent symphonies. Have you ever tried his string quartets? They're much more cohesive and interesting.

I will do as you suggest 🙂. Have saved them to a playlist to explore.

Thank you 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 19, 2021, 01:39:30 PM
He [Boris Tishchenko] wrote some decent symphonies. Have you ever tried his string quartets? They're much more cohesive and interesting.

Thanks. I've long considered his string quartets, but never found many comments or reviews.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on December 19, 2021, 07:22:48 PM
Thanks. I've long considered his string quartets, but never found many comments or reviews.

Did you enjoy the ones by Boris Tchaikovsky? And Yuri Falik, another outstanding Soviet composer.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 19, 2021, 07:23:49 PM
Did you enjoy the ones by Boris Tchaikovsky? And Yuri Falik, another outstanding Soviet composer.

Boris Tchaikovsky's very much, though it took a few listens to get my bearings. I have a few other B. T. recordings, mostly concerti, which are excellent. Have not heard Falik. Another composer to look for!

lordlance

Quote from: André on December 19, 2021, 12:50:18 PM

I am doubtful if I would enjoy a modernist VC. I don't even like violin concerti that much. Any other orchestral recommendations?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.

relm1

Quote from: lordlance on December 20, 2021, 01:12:20 AM
I am doubtful if I would enjoy a modernist VC. I don't even like violin concerti that much. Any other orchestral recommendations?

Do you like orchestral song cycles?  You might like his Symphony No. 6, I thought it was quite beautiful. 

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 19, 2021, 06:04:34 AM
Just curious, what are the 10 fav pc recordings of yours?  :)

I'd have to think, but besides Medtner Cto 3 /Ponti, some of the most played have at least been:

- Beethoven Emperor /Kempff,Leitner
- Schumann /Argerich,Harnoncourt
- Brahms Cto 1, for example Woodward,Masur, and the crazy Horowitz,Walter
- Tchaikowsky Cto 1, for example Horowitz,Szell live
- Scriabin, no real favourite, but for example Bashkirov
- Busoni, Donohoe,Ermler
- Stravinsky, Capriccio, for example Entremont,Stravinsky
- Prokofiev Cto 4, Krainev,Kitayenko,MoscowO
- Nørgård, In Due Tempi. There's only Salo,Segerstam, but I'd have a few alternative ideas for some details in it.

I've got many further, potential ones for the list. I own a lot of British material for example, but I'm not totally acquainted with it yet. And some American ones (Barber's is fine), Scandinavian, Austro-German, etc. etc.

lordlance

Quote from: relm1 on December 20, 2021, 05:39:20 AM
Do you like orchestral song cycles?  You might like his Symphony No. 6, I thought it was quite beautiful. 

My distaste of western classical singing cannot be understated. It's incredibly grating solo. Massed I can sort of tolerate and even enjoy (Choral Fantasy is superb.)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 20, 2021, 06:52:16 AM
I'd have to think, but besides Medtner Cto 3 /Ponti, some of the most played have at least been:

- Beethoven Emperor /Kempff,Leitner
- Schumann /Argerich,Harnoncourt
- Brahms Cto 1, for example Woodward,Masur, and the crazy Horowitz,Walter
- Tchaikowsky Cto 1, for example Horowitz,Szell live
- Scriabin, no real favourite, but for example Bashkirov
- Busoni, Donohoe,Ermler
- Stravinsky, Capriccio, for example Entremont,Stravinsky
- Prokofiev Cto 4, Krainev,Kitayenko,MoscowO
- Nørgård, In Due Tempi. There's only Salo,Segerstam, but I'd have a few alternative ideas for some details in it.

I've got many further, potential ones for the list. I own a lot of British material for example, but I'm not totally acquainted with it yet. And some American ones (Barber's is fine), Scandinavian, Austro-German, etc. etc.

I like Prokofiev 4 Moscow too. The Nørgård sounds interesting. I will look for the recording. 😄

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 20, 2021, 02:00:08 PM
I like Prokofiev 4 Moscow too. The Nørgård sounds interesting. I will look for the recording. 😄

I wouldn't waste your time. It's one of the worst "piano concerti" I've heard. I mean the whole work does absolutely nothing for it's entire duration. I like a few works from Nørgård, but this certainly wasn't one of them. Just my two cents.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2021, 07:37:05 PM
I wouldn't waste your time. It's one of the worst "piano concerti" I've heard. I mean the whole work does absolutely nothing for it's entire duration. I like a few works from Nørgård, but this certainly wasn't one of them. Just my two cents.

Yes - definitely not for you.

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 19, 2021, 07:23:49 PM

The Falik release gives me pause because it's performed by the Taneyev Quartet. I'm becoming disillusioned with their playing and not eager to add more recordings.
As mentioned, I enjoy the BT release, and it happens to feature a different ensemble (at the time of purchase I didn't even consider the performers).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2021, 07:37:05 PM

Thank you John. I always appreciate alternative- either positive or negative- views. I would look for a recording and let you know my opinion. In fact I was thinking about making a thread for recordings/works divisive among listeners.

Mirror Image

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 21, 2021, 01:18:16 AM
Yes - definitely not for you.

I love a lot of the post-WWII avant-garde composers like Boulez, Ligeti et. al., but this concerto felt aimless to me.