Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 21, 2021, 09:31:30 AM
Thank you John. I always appreciate alternative- either positive or negative- views. I would look for a recording and let you know my opinion. In fact I was thinking about making a thread for recordings/works divisive among listeners.

No problem, Dry Brett. If I were you, I'd track down the Segerstam recording on Chandos as this is the one I own. Just to let you know, I have no qualms with the performance itself.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on December 21, 2021, 07:27:05 AM
The Falik release gives me pause because it's performed by the Taneyev Quartet. I'm becoming disillusioned with their playing and not eager to add more recordings.
As mentioned, I enjoy the BT release, and it happens to feature a different ensemble (at the time of purchase I didn't even consider the performers).

Oh, I see. No problem, it's better when you can connect with the music with appropriate performances.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Cato

Quote from: T. D. on December 21, 2021, 07:27:05 AM
The Falik release gives me pause because it's performed by the Taneyev Quartet. I'm becoming disillusioned with their playing and not eager to add more recordings.
As mentioned, I enjoy the BT release, and it happens to feature a different ensemble (at the time of purchase I didn't even consider the performers).

If you like quarter-tone/microtonal music, however, they are the group for you!   :D

Of course, the original music will probably NOT be a quarter-tone work...  ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Roy Bland

lordlance

Looking for orchestral music recommendations from lesser known Soviet composers. I can tick off Tishchenko for now. And the usual suspects obviously (Schnittke, Ustolvskaya, Myaskovsky.)

A certain degree of vigor would be appreciated.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

springrite

Quote from: lordlance on January 20, 2022, 09:55:54 PM
Looking for orchestral music recommendations from lesser known Soviet composers. I can tick off Tishchenko for now. And the usual suspects obviously (Schnittke, Ustolvskaya, Myaskovsky.)

Vainberg, Popov to start...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lordlance

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2022, 10:34:57 PM
Vainberg, Popov to start...

I've already tried Weinberg. The music is far too dour to be enjoyable.

Anything specific from Popov and Shebalin?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.

vers la flamme

Quote from: lordlance on January 21, 2022, 12:00:24 AM

Popov's first and second symphonies are both damn good. Can't get enough of em lately.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 21, 2022, 05:35:39 AM
Popov's first and second symphonies are both damn good. Can't get enough of em lately.

+1
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

+ 1 for Shebalin. Try also Boyko for good measure.

kyjo

Quote from: lordlance on January 20, 2022, 09:55:54 PM

One word: Kabalevsky. He's my second favorite Soviet composer after Prokofiev. His orchestral output is highly consistent, enjoyable, memorable, and yes, full of vigor aplenty. His four symphonies, four piano concerti, and two cello concerti are all superb works ranging from lighthearted (2nd Symphony, 3rd PC) to quite serious and dramatic (4th Symphony, 2nd Cello Concerto). There's an excellent series on CPO that covers just about all his major works in excellent performances and sound. Give Kabalevsky a shot, but since you seem to be rather picky, I won't be offended if you don't like him. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

lordlance

Yes I don't choose to, I simply don't like thing easily.

I was randomy listening to this:

I was surprised by Yevlakhov's Poem Concerto for Violin and Orchestra and Uspensky's Music for Violin and Orchestra. They are very enjoyable works despite my distaste for violin concerti. Sometimes random pieces can be good.

For those interested, you can hear the pieces here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le9YhlBoE4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdL9A75Dhc

kyjo

Quote from: lordlance on January 21, 2022, 06:47:22 PM
Yes I don't choose to, I simply don't like thing easily.

I'm sorry to hear that! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: lordlance on January 21, 2022, 12:00:24 AM

Popov symphonies 1,2 and 6
Shebalin symphonies 1 and 5

+1 for Kabalevsky, especially symphonies 1 and 4 and the First Piano Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

IMHO best of Kabalevski is Piano Concerto n°2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYTjC9qZolA

Olympia edition is older than CPO meanwhile orchestras,conductors and performances are far superior

https://translate.yandex.com/translate?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkabalevsky.ru%2F&lang=ru-en

lordlance

Quote from: André on January 21, 2022, 06:52:39 AM
+ 1 for Shebalin. Try also Boyko for good measure.

Any specific Boyko work?

André

There are 2 discs that contain his symphonies and that I really like:

vandermolen