Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Thanks, Milos. What an interesting description ! Maybe I should give this a listen  ;D. If I ever stumble on it in a second hand shop I might ask the clerk to sample the thing.

And what about the Red Poppy Suite?

Philoctetes

Jenny Lin's disc: Prelude to a Revoluion covers an expansive range of little heard Russian composers and pieces. The most impressive being Obouhow whose life makes Scriabin appear to be quite normal.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on August 05, 2008, 04:36:04 PM
Thanks, Milos. What an interesting description ! Maybe I should give this a listen  ;D. If I ever stumble on it in a second hand shop I might ask the clerk to sample the thing.

And what about the Red Poppy Suite?

You have been warned ;D :)

tab

Quote from: some guy on August 05, 2008, 02:08:18 PM
Very interesting concert, tab. Thanks again for the link.

I was pleased to hear some evidence that the instrumental music tradition of Galina Ustvolskaya is apparently being furthered in the pupils of Tarnopolski. I've often wondered what had happened with that thread.

Hmm... This tradition is clearly French in one way and spectralistic in another. These pupils are "grandchildren" :D of Denisov (with Tarnopolsky as "father" ), who came from Shostakovich to Debussy and Boulez himself. Also Grisey is their main interest as I know it. As for Ustvolskaya... - I don't think so.

some guy

No argument there.

The operative word in my post was "some." And it was a mistake to use the word "tradition" in the same sentence. And there's really no Ustvolskaya tradition, is there?

What I heard, only, and only on that first hearing, was some of the harsh, gawky, awkward brutisme that I associate with Galina's music. But (other than first hearings being unreliable!) I suppose some of that could just be because they're students!

tab

Quote from: some guy on August 05, 2008, 02:08:18 PM
Do you ever hear much Russian electroacoustic music, either in concerts or on the radio (or on CD)? (Am I correct in assuming that you reside in Russia?)

Yes, some young composers are experimenting with electronic stuff now. Generally, the result is unmature IMHO, and it's still terra incognita for them.

QuoteAnd there's really no Ustvolskaya tradition, is there?

What I heard, only, and only on that first hearing, was some of the harsh, gawky, awkward brutisme that I associate with Galina's music. But (other than first hearings being unreliable!) I suppose some of that could just be because they're students!

In this sense - no, there isn't. The compositions of "Sound plasticity" aren't brutal at all in comparison with the music of other major group called "Structural Resistance".

For example, here is the piece "бздмн" by B. Filanovsky (be prepared, very weird stuff). It's interesting to hear what do you think it's about. :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gkpb9s

vandermolen

Have today received Kabalevsky symphonies 1-4 (CPO NDR RPO, Oue). A very interesting disc with beautifully played and recorded performances.  The Miaskoskian opening movement of the First Symphony has more depth and power than in any other recording I have heard (ie ASV, Olympia) and the Fourth symphony, which has needed a modern recording for decades emerges,IMHO, as a much greater work than suggested by the Penguin CD Guide (where it was written off as "conventional...commonplace".) Infact, I would say that together with the Cello Concerto No 2 (Kabalevsky's masterpiece I think), it is his greatest work (of the ones I know.)

The cataclysmic, funereal ending of the first movement is a terrific moment in this version and the slow movement has greater depth than Kabalevsky's own recording.  I haven't yet been able to face Symphony 3 "Requiem for Lenin" but this is a very interesting set and thanks to Colin for alerting me to its existence.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Those CDs are on order, Jeffrey, and should arrive soon. From your description I am now certainly looking forward to hearing the symphonies :)

Just hope that the 3rd is not as bad as Knipper's 4th ;D

The new erato

I can't find this set on mdt who usually is my reliable source of cpo discs (?)

Dundonnell

Quote from: erato on August 06, 2008, 01:23:24 PM
I can't find this set on mdt who usually is my reliable source of cpo discs (?)

CPO releases in Germany two months before the UK. MDT will not therefore be stocking these discs until October.

The new erato

Thank you. Kabalevskys 2nd cello concerto is a great work but I know nothing else (more or less) by the man. Is this a 2 x fullprice release BTW?

Dundonnell

Quote from: erato on August 07, 2008, 02:07:05 AM
Thank you. Kabalevskys 2nd cello concerto is a great work but I know nothing else (more or less) by the man. Is this a 2 x fullprice release BTW?

24.99 euros until 15 August direct from company and then 29.99 euros.

The new erato

Georg Sviridov anybody? I've got a couple of old Melodiya LPs and seem to remember there was stuff I liked quite well on one of them. Must get my LP player hooked up - one day.

Dundonnell

Never heard any Svirdov :( Always wanted to sample him :)

Btw what's the weather like in Norway just now? Only a week until I head to Stockholm and ten days till I fly from there to Tromso :) :)
Am definitely going to make it to Bleik in Andoya :) :) Have been looking at photos on Google Earth. Looks fantastic :) :)

The new erato

Here on the western coast: reasonably warm, cloudy and very little rain for the last week. Overall not bad - and we had a stunning end og July. In the north (if the weather forecast is anything to go by) it has been sunny. But in these  northern, Atlantic, climes, the whole key is variation, and unpredictability. I cross my fingers for you!  ;)

Dundonnell

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on August 07, 2008, 04:15:57 AM
Georg Sviridov anybody? I've got a couple of old Melodiya LPs and seem to remember there was stuff I liked quite well on one of them. Must get my LP player hooked up - one day.

I have one, very enjoyable, CD with Sviridov's music. It is on Olympia, so presumably difficult to get hold of now or only available at a ridiculous price. It featured "The Snowstorm", a lovely, melodic "Musical Sketch to the story by A Pushkin" also featured are the "Three Choruses" which are very Russian sounding and the excellent Miniature Suite which, despite its diminutive title contains music of real substance. It ends on a musical "question mark" and the notes suggest that this may have a connecion with the year of its composition 1964; the year of the fall of the de-Stalinizer Khrushchev.  Sviridov wrote much choral music and the CD ends with the hauningly atmospheric Cantata "Snow is Falling". All this music is of a very high standard and unlike any other composer, although very Russian sounding and not modernist in any way.  I think that he is well worth investigating and it has been a pleasure playing this CD again. Hauntingly atmospheric music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

some guy

Tab, thanks for the Filanovsky, too. That was much fun. I'm not too fond of the singing, yet. Or not entirely. But the music is quite fun and the instrumental forces make for some fascinating timbral combinations. I have this on my hard drive now, so if anything changes as I listen, I'll let you know.

Sorry to hear that the electroacoustic scene is still struggling over there. I suppose that's only to be expected. But I just heard some stuff from China this spring, China being another place that's not been too good for electroacoustic music. The pieces were quite good, even from the young guys. Strong, adept, graceful, entirely competent and pleasing.

Henk

I listened to many samples today of russian composers, the ones I like and want to investigate further are:
Lourie, Kabalevsky, Markevitch, Roslavets, Mossolov, Polovinkin, Protopopov, Denisov, and Schnittke.