Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 20, 2008, 02:26:05 AM
Ordered it from MDT but they said it was out of stock at their suppliers. Ordered it from Europadisc but no word so far :(

This CD seems to have disappeared :(

Drasko

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 16, 2008, 05:54:26 AM
This CD seems to have disappeared :(

You could try Ruslania, they don't seem to have Vista Vera discs but do have some very nice Sviridov releases on Melodiya. I've never ordered from them but they should be ok, I think it's Finnish store.
This is Sviridov disc I have, and it is very good:
http://www.ruslania.com/context-161/entity-7/details-220619/language-1.html

Dundonnell

Quote from: Drasko on November 16, 2008, 06:12:12 AM
You could try Ruslania, they don't seem to have Vista Vera discs but do have some very nice Sviridov releases on Melodiya. I've never ordered from them but they should be ok, I think it's Finnish store.
This is Sviridov disc I have, and it is very good:
http://www.ruslania.com/context-161/entity-7/details-220619/language-1.html

Thanks very much for the link!

I just might try them :)

PS: Have done ;D

vandermolen

I'm surprised that there is so little (nothing?) on CD by the composer Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov (b 1936). I first came across him as the composer of the terrific score for the Soviet era film version of "War and Peace" (S Bondarchuk 1968). He was apparently a student at the time and wrote eleven hours of music for the film! I have an LP of highlights, but it has never, to my knowledge, been issued on CD which is a great pity. I also have an LP of his impressive Symphony No 2 for String Orchestra.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

I am going to bring up Maximilian Steinberg again :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Steinberg

Given the revival of interest in Miaskovsky's music might not there be a similar interest in Steinberg? As Rimsky-Korsakov's son-in-law, as the teacher of Shostakovich, as a composer who was once more highly rated than the young Stravinsky Steinberg sounds worth investigating!

I don't know whether the two early pre-First World War symphonies recorded by Neeme Jarvi for DGG are typical but the three later symphonies(No.3 1928, No.4 'Turksib' 1933, and No.5 'Symphonic Rhapsody on Uzbek Themes" 1942) seem never to have been recorded.

I wonder whether the fact that Steinberg was Jewish led to his neglect after his death in 1946?

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 22, 2008, 07:46:47 AM
I am going to bring up Maximilian Steinberg again :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Steinberg

Given the revival of interest in Miaskovsky's music might not there be a similar interest in Steinberg? As Rimsky-Korsakov's son-in-law, as the teacher of Shostakovich, as a composer who was once more highly rated than the young Stravinsky Steinberg sounds worth investigating!

I don't know whether the two early pre-First World War symphonies recorded by Neeme Jarvi for DGG are typical but the three later symphonies(No.3 1928, No.4 'Turksib' 1933, and No.5 'Symphonic Rhapsody on Uzbek Themes" 1942) seem never to have been recorded.

I wonder whether the fact that Steinberg was Jewish led to his neglect after his death in 1946?

Interesting post Colin. I would be very interested to hear the later Steinberg symphonies as I greatly enjoyed his Symphony 2, especially the tolling bell type redemptory ending, where the use of the piano tends to anticipate his pupil Shostakovich. I don't know his First Symphony.

I am hoping that Alto will reissue some or all of the Shebalin symphonies, once available on Olympia. This seems a definite likelihood as, unlike with the Popov symphonies, Alto are licensed to release the shebalins. Shebalin's fine First Symphony definitely bears the influence of Shebalin's teacher Miaskovsky (it is dedicated to him) and might well attract interest in view of the recent interest in Miaskovsky. Also a Warner box set of the complete Shebalin symphonies is unlikely to appear simultaneously!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Drasko

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2008, 11:32:01 PM

I am hoping that Alto will reissue some or all of the Shebalin symphonies, once available on Olympia. This seems a definite likelihood as, unlike with the Popov symphonies, Alto are licensed to release the shebalins.

That's a shame, what is the problem, do you perhaps know why the Popov symphonies can't be licensed?

vandermolen

Quote from: Drasko on November 23, 2008, 07:00:52 AM
That's a shame, what is the problem, do you perhaps know why the Popov symphonies can't be licensed?

I think that the Licence ran out, whatever that means. Maybe it is with Melodiya now but I'm not sure.

Drasko

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2008, 09:37:51 AM
I think that the Licence ran out, whatever that means. Maybe it is with Melodiya now but I'm not sure.

Yes, I think I can get the concept of license running out, but who then has the original rights? Melodiya? Could be, but to my knowledge most of these recordings were premieres and never appeared on Melodiya. Only the Provatorov recording of 2nd Symphony had previous Melodiya LP release and they have released Chamber Symphony (both on LP and CD) but completely different recording than one on Olympia (Bolshoi forces under Lazarev). According to info I have that is about it when it comes to Popov on Melodiya.
So maybe it wouldn't hurt if people from Alto would make few phone calls about those rights, it looks to me unlikely that Melodiya has them, and maybe not the whole cycle but disc with 1st Symphony coupled with Chamber Symphony (Popov's best works imo) could have a market if reissued.

Dundonnell

There is a Telarc disc-which I have not heard-coupling Popov's 1st Symphony with Shostakovich's Theme and Variations, op.3. Leon Botstein conducts the LSO.

vandermolen

Quote from: Drasko on November 24, 2008, 03:10:22 PM
Yes, I think I can get the concept of license running out, but who then has the original rights? Melodiya? Could be, but to my knowledge most of these recordings were premieres and never appeared on Melodiya. Only the Provatorov recording of 2nd Symphony had previous Melodiya LP release and they have released Chamber Symphony (both on LP and CD) but completely different recording than one on Olympia (Bolshoi forces under Lazarev). According to info I have that is about it when it comes to Popov on Melodiya.
So maybe it wouldn't hurt if people from Alto would make few phone calls about those rights, it looks to me unlikely that Melodiya has them, and maybe not the whole cycle but disc with 1st Symphony coupled with Chamber Symphony (Popov's best works imo) could have a market if reissued.
Ok thanks for this.  I'll see what i can find out.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 24, 2008, 03:16:06 PM
There is a Telarc disc-which I have not heard-coupling Popov's 1st Symphony with Shostakovich's Theme and Variations, op.3. Leon Botstein conducts the LSO.

Yes, a good CD although i prefer the Olympia with popov's Second Symphony.

greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p89_A6p2HrE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p89_A6p2HrE&feature=related

Anyone ever heard Protopopov's 2nd Sonata? This is a piece that, let's just say when you're done with it you'll go , "Holy %$#^!"  :o

It may not be the most genius piece ever (i think the 16th notes are nice, but overdone), but it's definitely something that I'd like. Almost mistakeable for a late Scriabin sonata- very creepy yet sexy at the same time!

vandermolen

Just discovered a rather moving tone-poem: 'The Krasnodonians' by Arkady Mazaev (Mazayev). Mazaev lived from 1909-1987. The 17 minute tone poem commemorates the Anti-Fascist partisans of World War Two, most of whom were executed and thrown down a mine shaft. The musical style reminds me a bit of Lyatoshinsky, another composer I admire.

The piece is featured in the new Evgeny Svetlanov Edition on Brilliant Classics.

Anyone heard of Mazaev?

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

jurajjak

Hi,

FYI, check out this excellent group for discussions and downloads of rare Soviet music:

http://shostakovich.ning.com/

andrew

Allegro ben articolato

Protopopov's Sonatas are fascinating stuff - even if I'm not very fond of them discursively and, as with late Scriabin, I find his... "blurry" aesthetic a bit stifling. Listening to this Sonata while reading the score is indeed a mindblowing experience. I wish Schleiermacher had recorded the 3rd one (¡paso de estudiarla!), that one looks specially interesting judging from the score.

On a different note, I received the score of Tishchenko's 9th Sonata (I. Nocturne, II. Pastorale, III. Barcarolle) a couple weeks ago. Very appealing work - and a pretty demanding one too. The Nocturne's "melody" is actually a terrifying tangle of melodic lines at the r.h., and the finale is more like a James Bond boat chase rather than what you would expect from this genre!

greg

QuoteProtopopov's Sonatas are fascinating stuff - even if I'm not very fond of them discursively and, as with late Scriabin, I find his... "blurry" aesthetic a bit stifling. Listening to this Sonata while reading the score is indeed a mindblowing experience.
It sure is!
....although more fascinating, i think, for the overall ideas and attitude. It doesn't sound like he's much of a contrapuntist, to put it vaguely.

donaldopato

I have been enjoying an out of print Russian Disc recording of Boris Parsadanian's (1925-1997) Symphonies # 1 ("To the Memory of the 26 Commissars of Baku" and # 2 "Martyros Sarian". Armenian born in Russia who lived most of his life in Estonia. He wrote 11 symphonies as well as chamber works.

His Symphony # 7 and Flute Concerto are available on an Antes disc conducted by Neeme Järvi.

Shostakovich and Prokofiev influenced like a lot of Soviet era music from the USSR, but quite interesting and listenable.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford