Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

There's an extensive (and comprehensive), article on MusicWeb on  'soviet symphonies'. The reviewers's comment on Parsadanian's music is what kept me from buying it while it was available on Olympia at BRO :P. Rats! I guess I'll neve know !

donaldopato

Regarding Parsadanian:

Top drawer works? no both works can be rambling and are somewhat monochromatic

derivative?,  yes.. one can hear Khachaturian, Shostakovich and even Prokofiev hovering in the background

interesting? yes especially if you are fascinated with the Soviet era. They are good, listenable examples of Soviet era works. Better than Knipper, Shebalin, Khrennikov but not as interesting as Lyatoshinsky, Popov or Eshpai.

I got the disc used and probably would never have paid full price for it, but since I have a fascination with the music of the Soviet era, it is certainly worth listening to. 
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Dundonnell

Quote from: donaldopato on January 01, 2009, 04:53:55 AM
Regarding Parsadanian:

Top drawer works? no both works can be rambling and are somewhat monochromatic

derivative?,  yes.. one can hear Khachaturian, Shostakovich and even Prokofiev hovering in the background

interesting? yes especially if you are fascinated with the Soviet era. They are good, listenable examples of Soviet era works. Better than Knipper, Shebalin, Khrennikov but not as interesting as Lyatoshinsky, Popov or Eshpai.

I got the disc used and probably would never have paid full price for it, but since I have a fascination with the music of the Soviet era, it is certainly worth listening to. 

Not having heard anything by this composer I have obvious difficulty in being able to comment on your comparisons with other Soviet composers. I would say, however, that I certainly don't know enough Knipper to be able to make a valid assessment of his work in total while I must say that putting Shebalin and Khrennikov together does seem more than a little unfair on the former! Shebalin's five symphonies strike me as being in a completely different league to the three of that hack Khrennikov!

Lilas Pastia

Shebalin's symphonies, concertos and string quartets as very good works. I find his music honest and fastidiously crafted. In the sense that he never strives for effect or novelty and has an excellent sense of proportions. His musical structures are concise and put to maximal use. IOW he doesn't inflate or overworks his material.

Nosyrev is another composer not discussed very often, and he certainly is one of the most original and striking voices of the Soviet Union. Shostakovich personally saw to it that he was rehabilitated as a composer after years of harsh treatment and imprisonment in a siberian gulag. His symphonies are major works by any standard. I find them on a par with the best by Popov and Vainberg/Weinberg.

I don't know Eshpai or Knipper, but the few works of Khrennikov's I've heard are distincly of a lower artistic standard.

vandermolen

The new Svetlanov box from Brilliant includes Parsadanian's Second Symphony which is rather derivative of Shostakovich's 8th Symphony. Personally I prefer the Symphony No 1 'To the memory of the 26th Commissars of Baku' which I have on a Russisn Disc CD. This is a darkly moving score with a poignant ending. It was poorly reviewed when it first appeared, probably by the rather pompous David Fanning in Gramophone, but I'm glad that I bought the CD.

For me the great discovery of the Svetlanov box is another moving score: Arkady Mazaev's The Krasnodonians.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 02, 2009, 07:18:37 AM
Shebalin's symphonies, concertos and string quartets as very good works. I find his music honest and fastidiously crafted. In the sense that he never strives for effect or novelty and has an excellent sense of proportions. His musical structures are concise and put to maximal use. IOW he doesn't inflate or overworks his material.

Nosyrev is another composer not discussed very often, and he certainly is one of the most original and striking voices of the Soviet Union. Shostakovich personally saw to it that he was rehabilitated as a composer after years of harsh treatment and imprisonment in a siberian gulag. His symphonies are major works by any standard. I find them on a par with the best by Popov and Vainberg/Weinberg.

I don't know Eshpai or Knipper, but the few works of Khrennikov's I've heard are distincly of a lower artistic standard.

I agree. Shebalin's miaskovskian First Symphony is excellent and the valedictory Symphony No 5 is very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

donaldopato

I need to revisit Shebalin, or perhaps I had him confused with some other composer. Old age you know....  :-\
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Dax

It's pleasing to find others interested in composers such as Lyatoshinsky.

A couple of his sonatas are on youtube - with the notations.

1st sonata - http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPSd02CfaM&feature=related

2nd sonata - http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=slvBon3rxPE&feature=related

In fact the website is a valuable resource of such related composers as Stanchinsky, Roslavets, Feinberg et al. Lyatoshinsky seems addicted to octaves, double flats, quintuplets and the bottom octave of the piano.
I have a CD of his 4th and 5th symphonies, but I'm informed that the most impressive may well be no. 2. can anybody confirm this?

Dundonnell

Lyatoshinky's 2nd is certainly his bleakest symphony. Whether it is the best......? I shall need to refresh my memory by replaying all five and then get back to you on that :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 09, 2009, 01:40:28 PM
Lyatoshinky's 2nd is certainly his bleakest symphony. Whether it is the best......? I shall need to refresh my memory by replaying all six and then get back to you on that :)

2 and 3 are my favourites. The Marco Polos are good.

J.Z. Herrenberg

For those who missed it the first time, here is a review by Martin Anderson of, among others, Lyatoshinsky.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iadjvjjynzs

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2009, 03:30:50 PM
2 and 3 are my favourites. The Marco Polos are good.

In the name of the complete Ukrainian gas sector, I herewith solemnly protest against any association between Borys Mykolayovych Lyatoshynsky and this Russian composers thread.  ;) (But must confess to liking his symphonies too, even if I haven't heard all six like Dundonnell - always thought there were only five of them).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on January 09, 2009, 10:51:24 PM
In the name of the complete Ukrainian gas sector, I herewith solemnly protest against any association between Borys Mykolayovych Lyatoshynsky and this Russian composers thread.  ;)

Perhaps we should cut off this thread to put pressure on Putin?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on January 09, 2009, 10:51:24 PM
In the name of the complete Ukrainian gas sector, I herewith solemnly protest against any association between Borys Mykolayovych Lyatoshynsky and this Russian composers thread.  ;) (But must confess to liking his symphonies too, even if I haven't heard all six like Dundonnell - always thought there were only five of them).

Sorry! I inadvertently credited Lyatoshinsky with a sixth symphony ;D As Christo correctly says, the Ukrainian composer wrote five symphonies.

Dundonnell

I have been listening to the Lyatoshynsky(Lyatoshinsky) symphonies again in the Marco Polo versions by the Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra under Theodore Kuchar.

They are very fine symphonies indeed :) I would almost go so far as 'magnificent' but would be, probably justly, accused of hyperbole ;D

I know that Christo(Johan) objects to discussion of the Ukrainian Lyatoshynsky here but he was a Soviet era composer :)

Mark Morris described the music as "too bland to be of any real interest"(in the Pimlico Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers) and David Fanning called the 3rd Symphony 'tepid'(in 'A Companion to the Symphony'). These are astonishing misjudgments in my opinion.
These are substantial if almost consistently grim works which are a considerable cut above most other orchestral music written in Soviet Russia.

Well worth hearing! And to answer the question...yes, I agree that the 2nd and 3rd are probably the best but Nos. 4 and 5 are fine works too.

(Lyatoshynsky was the teacher of that fine composer Valentin Silvestrov.)

snyprrr

YURI KASPAROV?

i have a gyorgy sviridov Olympia cd which has a very lovely piano trio.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 12, 2009, 07:55:52 AM
I have been listening to the Lyatoshynsky(Lyatoshinsky) symphonies again in the Marco Polo versions by the Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra under Theodore Kuchar.

They are very fine symphonies indeed :) I would almost go so far as 'magnificent' but would be, probably justly, be accused of hyperbole ;D

I know that Christo(Johan) objects to discussion of the Ukrainian Lyatoshynsky here but he was a Soviet era composer :)

Mark Morris described the music as "too bland to be of any real interest"(in the Pimlico Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers) and David Fanning called the 3rd Symphony 'tepid'(in 'A Companion to the Symphony'). These are astonishing misjudgments in my opinion.
These are substantial if almost consistently grim works which are a considerable cut above most other orchestral music written in Soviet Russia.

Well worth hearing! And to answer the question...yes, I agree that the 2nd and 3rd are probably the best but Nos. 4 and 5 are fine works too.

(Lyatoshynsky was the teacher of that fine composer Valentin Silvestrov.)

Totally agree with you Colin (just for once  ;D). Lyatoshinsky was a great composer in my view. I also disagree with David Fanning's pompous misjudgment. Mazaev's Krasnodonians (which will be coming your way soon) is a kind of Lyatoshinsky-meets-Shebalin piece (both composers I greatly admire).

Drasko

Here is some Ivan Wyschnegradsky for download if anyone is interested. Relatively early piece for large orchestra, narrator and chorus ad lib.

День бытия  -  La Journée de l'existence, for recitation, orchestra & choir ad. lib., without Op. (1916-1917, revised 1927 & 1939)

Alexei Tarasov (recit.), Radio Symfonie Orkest en Groot Omroep Koor. Conductor – Pascal Roph.
Recorded 10 june 2004

http://files.mail.ru/P9E1MS

(single 160 kbps mp3, plus word file with some basic info in russian) 
to download wait 10 seconds countdown then click on word скачать (mid-right on your screen)

Dax

Fantastic! Many thanks!

A computer dimmo asks - what do I need to open it?

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dax on January 09, 2009, 11:37:55 AM
It's pleasing to find others interested in composers such as Lyatoshinsky.

A couple of his sonatas are on youtube - with the notations.

1st sonata - http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPSd02CfaM&feature=related

2nd sonata - http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=slvBon3rxPE&feature=related

In fact the website is a valuable resource of such related composers as Stanchinsky, Roslavets, Feinberg et al. Lyatoshinsky seems addicted to octaves, double flats, quintuplets and the bottom octave of the piano.
I have a CD of his 4th and 5th symphonies, but I'm informed that the most impressive may well be no. 2. can anybody confirm this?

I'm pleased you mentioned Lyatoshinsky.  I 'm familiar with four of his symphonies.  Excellent composer and reasonably prolific.  Roslavets' piano works recorded on Hyperion are wonderfully performed by Marc-Andre Hamelin. Feinberg's sonatas, particularly the 6th, are superb, as is his piano concerto. Also the 1st Symphony by Alexander Krein (entitled "After Scriabin) is quite rich in harmonic textures.  It's quite romantic but not cloying in any way.  I only wish his 2nd were recorded.  I have several scores, and several of his pianistic dances are quite rich in tonal color.  Recommended, at least by me.  Many unknown or little recorded Russian mentioned in this thread bear looking into.