Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 13, 2008, 04:57:53 PM
You are, of course, quite correct in what you say about Miaskovsky, Jeffrey, so I shall take that as read.

I agree too about Popov. It is unfortunate that Olympia did not get around to issuing recordings of Popov's 3rd and 4th symphonies before its demise. The other four are all interesting works. There is a Telarc version of No.1(London symphony Orchestra/Leon Botstein) which i have not heard.

Olympia did manage to issue a complete set of the Shebalin and his symphonies too are attractive and rewarding.

Can I mention one or two others then-

Boris Tchaikovsky(no relative) is an extremely impressive composer of obvious real integrity. I have managed to build up a collection of most of his major orchestral works-the four symphonies, the piano, violin, cello and clarinet concerti, and a considerable number of other pieces. Naxos has done him a service by recording Symphony No.1 coupled with two good pieces-the Suites "The Mourning Forest" and "After the Ball" and the piano and clarinet concerti. Chandos has issued Symphony No.3 "Sebastopol" and there is a really good Hyperion disc with the Chamber Symphony, Sinfonietta, Six Etudes for Strings and Organ and the Prelude "The Bells". Perhaps the best Symphony is No.2(coupled with No.4-Symphony with Harp on Relief or with some Khachaturian on Russian Disc).
Boris certainly stands in the wake of Shostakovich but is no mere imitator and his music is being promoted by a Boris Tchaikovsky Society.

Tishchenko I find to be uneven. I like Symphony No.5 and the Violin Concerto No.2(both following Shostakovich's model) but haven't been able to come to terms with Symphony No.1 or the huge Symphony No.6. Naxos has issued the Seventh Symphony-an odd work which mixes some impressive passages with others which are bizzarely grotesque. I have just acquired Tishchenko's first two Dante Symphonies but have not yet listened to them.

Neeme Jarvi recorded Maximilian Steinberg's early Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2. Steinberg(1883-1946) was Rimsky-Korsakov's son-in-law and Shostakovich's teacher. The first two symphonies did not strike me as particularly inspired but they were written while Steinberg was still in his twenties. He wrote three more(1928, 1933 and 1942-the last two using themes from the Russian Asiatic Republics) which might be interesting.

I did recently manage to buy an ancient recording of Kabalevsky's 4th Symphony-a work which turned out to be better than I had anticipated!

I haven't heard a note of the Soviet era composer Yuri Shaporin(1887-1966), who was once highly regarded but I do have a recording of Lev Knipper's Symphony No.4 "Poem of the Komsomol Fighter". Knipper(1898-1974) was, strictly speaking, Georgian rather than Russian but he did work under the Soviet regime. He produced twenty symphonies, many on patriotic subjects, which I doubt will now see the light of day!

Ok..there are a few more names for you :)

I'm somewhat familiar with some of the piano works by Leonid Polovinsky.  I learned that a new recording is available, and I ordered it from Amazon.  I probably won't acquire it until late in August.  Are you or, is anyone familiar with any works by this somwhat unknown composer?  From the few pieces I know from several works available on sheet music, I am quite impressed by his style.

just Jeff

Borus Tishchenko passed away 12/9/10 at age of 71

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec/16/boris-tishchenko-obituary?INTCMP=SRCH

Digging deep into the Melodiya back catalog for some examples of his important works (3 LPs, and a first CD issue at bottom):

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

DieNacht

Boris Tishchenko (1939 - 2010): 2.Violin Cto (1981) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVqk2Xxox3A

Looking for Shostakovich´ s "late 3rd Violin Concerto" ? This could probably have a close resemblance of such a work, it´s a large piece lasting almost 50 mins.

Am exploring the oeuvre of this composer these days, and I must say that his perpetual, almost literal copying of traits from the late Shostakovich style as well as the martial, repetitive mood can be a bit irritating. The very harsh sounds of the Russian brass make the music even more stressful.
The first part consists of some mostly martial variations lasting 30 mins. My impression is that this mood is probably kept for too long.
The slower end section´s introduction has some fanfares that again calls one´s attention to Shostakovich, the slow movement of his 1st Violin Concerto, but the ongoings and the orchestration being much more complicated, at times of a Bartokian density, and there is no solo cadenza as with Dmitri. An impressive finish to the work, though.

The concerto blends monologue-like or sparse episodes with circus-like music, marches, percussive effects etc. The winds have a lot to say also in this piece. The grotesque elements seem to imply a certain critique of contemporary life (1981 in USSR ?), but it will be too harsh and aggressive for some listeners, or, on some days, most others :-). I recognize it´s an ambitious work, but ... I still have to find identify his, say, 3 most interesting or appealing works; whether this belongs to them, I´m not totally sure yet.

Tishchenko´s "Double Concerto for Violin, Piano and Orchestra" (2006) is at times milder and quite catchy, almost to the level of film music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90Ud7fcC1g

cilgwyn

If you like Kabalevsky,at all,the Cpo set of his symphonies is very well performed and recorded. In fact,their No 2,is the only one I have liked,other than Measham's performance on the,late lamented,Unicorn-Kanchana label. Kabalevsky's Fourth is not bad at all,unless you're going to worry about comparisons with Shostakovich and Prokofiev,and then it probably is! In Cpo's recording it comes over as quite impressive,in it's own way, & seems to prove that Kabalevsky did have some depth after all (and I'm referring to the music,not the depths he sunk to,politically!).
I also,confess to being quite partial to Tikhon Khrennikov's three (symphonies),but having said that,I am aware that saying anything positive about Khrennikov's music generates a mixed response,ie,some people like his music,while allot of people think it's,erm,how shall I put it,crap! As to the man,himself,well,I think I'm going to keep out of that! :o
Love to hear some more of Lev Knipper's colossal output,especially his symphonies,even if No 4 IS one of the worst symphonies ever written. But then again,Shostakovich and Prokofiev had to write propaganda pieces and we don't judge THEM on that part of their output,do we? Northern Flowers have issued some Knipper,but the poor quality of the performance and recording hardly helps his case.
I hasten,to add,I am NOT expecting any masterpieces (or even near masterpieces)in Knipper's ouput. I simply find some of these politically incorrect lesser spotted Soviet composers an intriguing phenomenon,that's all! :D

NB: Loved Johns mispelling of Lev Knipper as Les Kipper! Cool! 8)

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 12, 2009, 07:55:52 AM
I have been listening to the Lyatoshynsky(Lyatoshinsky) symphonies again in the Marco Polo versions by the Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra under Theodore Kuchar.

They are very fine symphonies indeed :) I would almost go so far as 'magnificent' but would be, probably justly, accused of hyperbole ;D

I know that Christo(Johan) objects to discussion of the Ukrainian Lyatoshynsky here but he was a Soviet era composer :)

Mark Morris described the music as "too bland to be of any real interest"(in the Pimlico Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers) and David Fanning called the 3rd Symphony 'tepid'(in 'A Companion to the Symphony'). These are astonishing misjudgments in my opinion.
These are substantial if almost consistently grim works which are a considerable cut above most other orchestral music written in Soviet Russia.
Cooking supper,so apologies for the roughness of this reply!

Well worth hearing! And to answer the question...yes, I agree that the 2nd and 3rd are probably the best but Nos. 4 and 5 are fine works too.

(Lyatoshynsky was the teacher of that fine composer Valentin Silvestrov.)
Ooh,nice to see another admirer of this 'fine' composer. These are the sort of overlooked,obscurities (at least over here in the West) that I would love to hear in really first rate performances and recordings (more hyperbole,please!). I seem to remember Fanning (?) regarded the First as the finest of the set,so it's nice to see that Dundonnell rates his subsequent 'efforts' on a higher level. I agree with this,as I find them more personal. No 1 is a bit too like a very noisy version of Scriabin,impressive as it,probably is!
  Conversely,his description of (the.admittedly,not quite on the same level) Tikhon Khrennikov as a hack,just makes me want to have another listen......especially to No 3. Those filmic 'himalayan' bits (as someone on Musicweb described them) are the very defintion of the word kitsch,but I just love 'em! More Tikhon please,topped with some nice clotted cream & washed down with a glass of Vodka,of course! ;D. (I may need the rest of the bottle for Knipper's 20!*).

*Just wait till those get uploaded!

vandermolen

Khrennikov's Second Symphony is rather good - the slow movement has a great ending and there is a very catchy last movement. As for Lyatoshinsky - a fine composer as far as I'm concerned, his Symphony No 1 is my least favourite of the cycle. No 3 is the best and 2, 4 and 5 are very good too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

I've been very impressed by Kabalevsky's cello concertos as recorded by Marina Tarasova.  These have been reissued by Alto.

[asin]B003YCM0S6[/asin]

Those who don't have issues with downloads may want to Google "54ajax" for a large collection of recordings of Soviet composers.

cilgwyn

Oh,good,and a nice price,too. It would also,be rather nice if some record label would reissue the recordings of Kabalevsky's opera's. I have read some good things about them,but at present they are only available at ridiculous prices from,in my opinion,rather greedy sellers. But of course,like everyone else,they want to make a bit of dosh,so I suppose you can't blame 'em,really? Not expecting any masterpieces,of course!
  I agree with Vandermolen about Khrennikov's Second being the best of the three,but I DO quite enjoy all three,especially the kitschie third! Just don't mention them to Dundonnell! :o
  Bunin is rumoured to be quite good. I wonder if anyone here has heard his work? I remember my old Russian Record Company and Collet's Catalogue had Bunin symphonies in their lists,along with such exotica as the Mongolian Gonchiksumla,opera's by Shebalin,Boris Asafiev's 'The Fountains of Bakchisarai' in a 2 LP set (I have heard excerpts of this & they were rather nice) and Shaporin's 'The Decembrist's',(the Preiser set gets quite a good review on Musicweb). If I have got any of the spelling wrong,please feel free to correct me!
And,then of course there's Vano Muradeli! The list is vast & seemingly endless. Hopefully,another Olympia style reissue label will re-emerge,for these old Soviet recordings,eventually!

Dundonnell

Muradeli's First and Second Symphonies are available for download over on UC ;D

As are the Daniel Jones symphonies. Surprised you haven't commented on that yet :o

bumtz

I bet nobody heard of Zara Levina and Nina Makarova. I certainly had not when I stumbled upon an OOP CD of their works (Symphony by Makarova, Piano Concerto #2 by Levina) released on Russian Disc in some second-hand CD shop. Contemporaries of Shostakovich, they sound closer to later-day Prokofiev. Strong melodies, good sense of form and drama. Quality music.

Levina's Piano Concerto #1 is available in its entirety on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPiLC9BgbRs

cilgwyn

Aram Khatchaturian's missus! ;D
I had read somewhere that she composed. Any similarities?
Is she better.....deeper? Khatchaturian's music is often accused (these days) of being bombastic.

bumtz

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 27, 2012, 12:52:25 PM
Aram Khatchaturian's missus! ;D
I had read somewhere that she composed. Any similarities?
Is she better.....deeper? Khatchaturian's music is often accused (these days) of being bombastic.
Better, IMHO.
Honestly, I was expecting something on the level of Soviet film soundtrack symphonic music - simple and highly predictable. I was surprised how good the music was.   

Lilas Pastia

Khrennikov: I have downloads of his symphonies 1 and 2, but not 3 :P. This is quite good music, surprisingly daring and communicative - at least from what I expected after reading about it.

Nosyrev: I have his 4 symphonies, violin, piano and cello concertos (different works, not a 'triple' thing), as well as various concertante works and his big ballet 'The Song of Triumphant Love' (what a silly title, and what fantastic music!). I recently listed the 4 symphonies as belonging to my 'best' 20th centuries symphonies. Well, I hadn't listened to any of them in at least 3 years, so I figured: "make sure you're not bragging about something you can't sustain".

Well, I've listened to the symphonies - and currently listening to another disc of various orchestral/concertante works and here's what I think today: these 4 symphonies are as difficult, enigmatic and surprising as the ballet is tuneful, tonal, springy and easy to listen to in its entirety (not just 3-4 excerpts as is usually the case). IOW the symphonies are endlessly challenging and probing, Nosyrev's intellectual response to the thorny political and artistic challenges he was faced with (big trouble with the soviet authorities - only Shostakovich's fervent intervention saving him from a dire fate). The concertante works are very different. This is not easy music à la Kabalevsky or Khachaturian. But it makes my ears prick and listen hard.

In short: if you care about soviet era composers, do give Nosyrev an honest try !

All 5 discs I have are from the Olympia catalog. I know of no other recordings of his works.

vandermolen

Quote from: bumtz on March 27, 2012, 12:14:56 PM
I bet nobody heard of Zara Levina and Nina Makarova. I certainly had not when I stumbled upon an OOP CD of their works (Symphony by Makarova, Piano Concerto #2 by Levina) released on Russian Disc in some second-hand CD shop. Contemporaries of Shostakovich, they sound closer to later-day Prokofiev. Strong melodies, good sense of form and drama. Quality music.

Levina's Piano Concerto #1 is available in its entirety on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPiLC9BgbRs

Thank you for posting the link - the PC No 1 sounds very impressive indeed - a bit like a synthesis of Prokofiev and Rachmaninov. Must fish out my Nosyrev symphs to listen again.  :D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bumtz

Thanks for bringing up Nosyrev, never heard of him before. There is a youtube channel with many of his works posted, excellent stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MikhailNosyrev?feature=watch

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: bumtz on July 15, 2012, 09:05:28 AM
Thanks for bringing up Nosyrev, never heard of him before. There is a youtube channel with many of his works posted, excellent stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MikhailNosyrev?feature=watch

Seems promising, thanks for that!

eyeresist

Quote from: André on July 14, 2012, 07:26:48 PMNosyrev: ... these 4 symphonies are as difficult, enigmatic and surprising as the ballet is tuneful, tonal, springy and easy to listen to in its entirety (not just 3-4 excerpts as is usually the case). IOW the symphonies are endlessly challenging and probing, Nosyrev's intellectual response to the thorny political and artistic challenges he was faced with (big trouble with the soviet authorities - only Shostakovich's fervent intervention saving him from a dire fate).

Nosyrev has been on my wishlist for ages - but buying from Amazon marketplace from Australia is such a hassle :( 
Those first two symphonies especially sound like a lot of fun - I wouldn't call them "difficult" at all.

vandermolen

Quote from: bumtz on March 27, 2012, 12:14:56 PM

This is a fine CD! All three works are impressive but the Symphony in D Minor by Nina Makarova, especially so.  The spirit of her teacher Miaskovsky hovers benevolently over this symphony but it is also a work of considerable originality and seems deeply felt, memorable, catchy and often moving. I have returned to it again and again.  I think that it would appeal to admirers of Prokofiev, Miaskovsky, Shostakovich and Weinberg  - as well as those who like the music of Makarova's husband; Khachaturian.  Thank you for alerting me to this CD which I'd never have discovered without the forum (my bank manager or wife might not thank you however  ;D) The first movement culminates in a very powerful and memorable climax, the slow movement is deeply felt and there is a rousing finale - great stuff.

Cato

No doubt I have mentioned him in previous pages, but since I just received the Russian Disc (Ruscico) DVD's of Sergei Bondarchuk's film of War and Peace from the middle 1960's, I must mention Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov whose score for the film is echt Romanov and all-around excellent.

See:

http://vyacheslavovchinnikov.ru/en/content/?id=64

and

http://www.youtube.com/v/b9wdXxcVLDs

and

http://www.youtube.com/v/ECUamNhrEeg
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on July 22, 2012, 09:34:23 AM
No doubt I have mentioned him in previous pages, but since I just received the Russian Disc (Ruscico) DVD's of Sergei Bondarchuk's film of War and Peace from the middle 1960's, I must mention Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov whose score for the film is echt Romanov and all-around excellent.

See:

http://vyacheslavovchinnikov.ru/en/content/?id=64

and

http://www.youtube.com/v/b9wdXxcVLDs

and

http://www.youtube.com/v/ECUamNhrEeg

I remember my mother taking me to see the film when it first came out - you had to go back to the cinema a week later for Part 2.  I subsequently saw it at least twice with friends at all day showings at the South Bank in London - a great experience. The Ovchinnikov score was available on a 'That's Entertainment' LP decades ago. It never made it to CD but a kind music contact made a copy for me. I have somewhere an LP of Ovchinnikov's Symphony No 2 (for strings if my memory is correct) - a deply impressive work.  He has been rather ignored in the CD era. The theme accompanying Pierre's love for Natascha and the appearance of the Great Comet of 1812 in 'War and Peace' was a magical moment in the film score.