Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 13, 2013, 07:00:42 PM
I can't say I'm very familiar with Denisov's work, Kyle, but apparently he belongs to the same group of post-Shostakovich Soviet composers like Schnittke and Gubaidulina who were blacklisted by the Soviet government. I would like to hear some of his orchestral works but something tells me that he's not going to be one of the those composers I endorse. Gubaidulina was an interesting exploration but her music was just too 'one-dimensional' for my tastes. There appears to be some Denisov on BIS. I might investigate those recordings. Not sure about his Symphony or that other recording on Harmonia Mundi.

Thanks anyway for your reply, John. Yeah, I'm not too impressed with Gubaidulina's music either. Her VC was OK, I guess, but nothing else in her output has grabbed me. The emotional intensity of Schnittke is nowhere to be found in her music. Now back to Denisov.....

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 14, 2013, 02:57:25 AM
Thanks anyway for your reply, John. Yeah, I'm not too impressed with Gubaidulina's music either. Her VC was OK, I guess, but nothing else in her output has grabbed me. The emotional intensity of Schnittke is nowhere to be found in her music. Now back to Denisov.....

There is one work by Gubaidulina that I like and it's called Pro et contra. It's scored for a large orchestra and it has a slow movement that's truly gorgeous. Check it out sometime if you haven't already.

Here's the slow movement from Pro et contra:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qnCvuZwEGUM

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2013, 05:43:07 AM
There is one work by Gubaidulina that I like and it's called Pro et contra. It's scored for a large orchestra and it has a slow movement that's truly gorgeous. Check it out sometime if you haven't already.

Here's the slow movement from Pro et contra:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qnCvuZwEGUM

Thanks John-will investigate.

Mirror Image

kyjo

Reposted from the "Top 10 Favorite Violin/Cello Sonatas" thread:

Here's the YT links to a recording (with score) of by far the most obscure piece on my list, the Violin Sonata of Tatar composer Almaz Monasypov (1925-2008), which is a exotically-tinged, lyrical work with soaring melodies. A great find for sore:

I: http://youtu.be/w2KgyI6iS60
II: http://youtu.be/Jsh6vbvTPa4
III: http://youtu.be/kfMJl4CuKW0

Mirror Image

Still haven't listened to that Gubaidulina link, Kyle? ???

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2013, 05:40:09 PM
Still haven't listened to that Gubaidulina link, Kyle? ???

Somehow I knew you would bring this up when I posted on this thread! If I listen to it, though, you must listen to more Atterberg like you promised! ;D

kyjo

OK, I'm listening to it now. Will report back with thoughts.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 16, 2013, 05:47:11 PM
Somehow I knew you would bring this up when I posted on this thread! If I listen to it, though, you must listen to more Atterberg like you promised! ;D

I already listened to Atterberg's 3rd and 5th but I didn't see any post where you were holding up your end of the bargain. :) I know you listened to that Scelsi work, but I've already heard two of Atterberg's symphonies (I've actually heard them all truth be told) so that makes me 2 and you 1. Now get to listening! :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 16, 2013, 05:50:15 PM
OK, I'm listening to it now. Will report back with thoughts.

That a boy! :)

kyjo

Just finished listening to the slow movement of Pro et Contra. I didn't like it a lot, but it has some cool orchestral textures. Of particular note is the haunting hymn-like passage in the strings that keeps popping up at certain points, as well as the drawn-out double bass and contrabassoon solos near the end.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2013, 05:52:30 PM
I already listened to Atterberg's 3rd and 5th but I didn't see any post where you were holding up your end of the bargain. :) I know you listened to that Scelsi work, but I've already heard two of Atterberg's symphonies (I've actually heard them all truth be told) so that makes me 2 and you 1. Now get to listening! :D

Remember when you asked me for some recommendations on where to go next with Atterberg? ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 16, 2013, 06:12:58 PM
Just finished listening to the slow movement of Pro et Contra. I didn't like it a lot, but it has some cool orchestral textures. Of particular note is the haunting hymn-like passage in the strings that keeps popping up at certain points, as well as the drawn-out double bass and contrabassoon solos near the end.

Well, this is the only work by Gubaidulina I like. Give me Schnittke any day of the week. She's just too gimmicky for my tastes, but I'm glad that I became better acquainted with her music. She's just not for me.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2013, 06:15:47 PM
Well, this is the only work by Gubaidulina I like. Give me Schnittke any day of the week. She's just too gimmicky for my tastes, but I'm glad that I became better acquainted with her music. She's just not for me.

Yeah, I don't care much for "gimmicky" composers either. I can definitely see why you prefer Schnittke-he's eclectic but not at all "gimmicky".

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 16, 2013, 06:21:23 PM
Yeah, I don't care much for "gimmicky" composers either. I can definitely see why you prefer Schnittke-he's eclectic but not at all "gimmicky".

Yes, I believe Schnittke's heart was in everything he composed and if it wasn't than he would probably throw the music paper in the garbage. Gubaidulina, on the other hand, I have a hard time of taking seriously and still remain unmoved by her music.

Cato

While traversing Amazon to check on new releases, I came across this:

A CHANDOS CD of Narcissus and Echo, a ballet by Nikolai Tcherepnin, father of better known son Alexander, which is being sold by a Japanese vendor for "$1,464.99"  ??? ??? ???

http://www.amazon.com/Tcherepnin-Narcisse-Rozhdestvensky-Residentie-Orchestra/dp/B00000G4NW

Possibly the vendor has not properly translated yen to dollars!  ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Quote from: Cato on November 04, 2013, 02:11:42 PM
While traversing Amazon to check on new releases, I came across this:

A CHANDOS CD of Narcissus and Echo, a ballet by Nikolai Tcherepnin, father of better known son Alexander, which is being sold by a Japanese vendor for "$1,464.99"  ??? ??? ???

http://www.amazon.com/Tcherepnin-Narcisse-Rozhdestvensky-Residentie-Orchestra/dp/B00000G4NW

Possibly the vendor has not properly translated yen to dollars!  ;)

That's outrageous! ??? That's a beautiful ballet BTW. It should definitely appeal to fans of The Firebird and Daphnis et Chloe in its lush, oriental impressionism.

Cato

Quote from: kyjo on November 04, 2013, 02:18:22 PM
That's outrageous! ??? That's a beautiful ballet BTW. It should definitely appeal to fans of The Firebird and Daphnis et Chloe in its lush, oriental impressionism.

There are a few copies for much less!  Not cheap, but much more reasonable!

Quote from: kyjo on November 04, 2013, 02:18:22 PM
That's a beautiful ballet BTW. It should definitely appeal to fans of The Firebird and Daphnis et Chloe in its lush, oriental impressionism.

Yes: it is hard to fathom the neglect of Nikolai Tcherepnin.  He was a teacher for the young Prokofiev, who apparently did not think much of him.  Prokofiev's mother once asked him how much he composed every day, and he responded that sometimes "only a single bar".  Prokofiev commented that he was probably "trying to impress us with his meticulousness."

Mother Prokofiev then commented rather triumphantly that her son (in his early teens or even younger) had already composed several operas!   :o  ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Quote from: Cato on November 04, 2013, 02:25:00 PM
Yes: it is hard to fathom the neglect of Nikolai Tcherepnin.  He was a teacher for the young Prokofiev, who apparently did not think much of him.  Prokofiev's mother once asked him how much he composed every day, and he responded that sometimes "only a single bar".  Prokofiev commented that he was probably "trying to impress us with his meticulousness."

Mother Prokofiev then commented rather triumphantly that her son (in his early teens or even younger) had already composed several operas!   :o  ;)

Interesting little story there. Yes, Tcherepnin's meticulousness is evidenced by the rather small body of work he produced, and, from what I've heard of his music, lived by the "quality over quantity" rule. I enjoy this CD a lot:

[asin]B000001GPM[/asin]

Included are two magically evocative tone poems by Tcherepnin in the Rimsky/Liadov mode: La Princesse lontaine and Le Royaume enchantee, as well as three tone poems by Liadov and Rimsky's Coq d'Or Suite.

pjme

I'm looking for information on Leon Mouravieff / Mouraviev. Born in Kiev 1905, died in Paris 1987.

His (very lovely) Nativité for string trio and string orchestra was recorded on a Vox and Christophorus CD .

Afaik there's very little info on the internet...

Peter