Dutilleux's Dark Dominion

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 05:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vers la flamme

I am getting into the music of Henri Dutilleux a bit lately. He has written some great music; I really like the violin concerto, "L'arbre des songes", as well as the first symphony, and Timbres, espace, mouvement "La nuit étoilée". He has a really unique orchestral sound among French composers. The only composer I can think of who sounds remotely similar is Lutoslawski. Indeed, I can't help but wonder if Dutilleux and Lutoslawski knew of each other.

I have a couple discs in the Chandos series with Yan Pascal Tortelier and the BBC Philharmonic, I plan on collecting more.

Anyone listening to Dutilleux lately?

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 12, 2019, 05:21:02 PM
I am getting into the music of Henri Dutilleux a bit lately. He has written some great music; I really like the violin concerto, "L'arbre des songes", as well as the first symphony, and Timbres, espace, mouvement "La nuit étoilée". He has a really unique orchestral sound among French composers. The only composer I can think of who sounds remotely similar is Lutoslawski. Indeed, I can't help but wonder if Dutilleux and Lutoslawski knew of each other.

I have a couple discs in the Chandos series with Yan Pascal Tortelier and the BBC Philharmonic, I plan on collecting more.

Anyone listening to Dutilleux lately?

Yes, especially symphonies 1 and 2, Métaboles and the fine Cello Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2019, 11:54:14 PM
Yes, especially symphonies 1 and 2, Métaboles and the fine Cello Concerto.
I have a CD with the two symphonies, and I just ordered one with the cello concerto (along with Lutoslawski's cello concerto) played by Mstislav Rostropovich. Excited to hear that one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 13, 2019, 03:55:14 AM
I have a CD with the two symphonies, and I just ordered one with the cello concerto (along with Lutoslawski's cello concerto) played by Mstislav Rostropovich. Excited to hear that one.

Dutilleux's Cello Concerto, "Tout un monde lointain..." should be required listening for anyone interested in late 20th Century, IMHO. The same could be said of Lutoslawski's.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2019, 12:56:56 PM
Dutilleux's Cello Concerto, "Tout un monde lointain..." should be required listening for anyone interested in late 20th Century, IMHO. The same could be said of Lutoslawski's.
I love the Luto concerto, the recording I am familiar with features Heinrich Schiff. Excited to hear Slava play it. Wasn't it written for him? I know that they say Dutilleux's concerto is among his best works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 14, 2019, 01:39:30 PM
I love the Luto concerto, the recording I am familiar with features Heinrich Schiff. Excited to hear Slava play it. Wasn't it written for him? I know that they say Dutilleux's concerto is among his best works.

Yeah, both of these cello concerti were written for Rostropovich. You'll find much enjoyment here.