Peter Mennin(1923-83)-a Great American Symphonic Composer

Started by Dundonnell, July 14, 2008, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not edward

To my knowledge, I've never heard a single note of Mennin's work; any suggestions from those who know my taste in music?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Karl Henning

I'd suggest giving the Seventh Symphony (Variations Symphony) a test-drive.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dundonnell

Delighted to see such a considerable amount of discussion on this forum about Piston, Schuman, Diamond and Mennin :) :)

If the record company scouts are watching............please take note ;D ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: violinconcerto on May 07, 2011, 04:03:47 AM
I was a bit puzzled today that wikipedia and some other sources don't mention the violin concerto by Peter Mennin, and on the other hand several other sources do so (for example the Encyclopaedia Britannica http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/375135/Peter-Mennin).
I am now questioning myself if there really was or is a violin concerto by Peter Mennin? Maybe he wrote such a ork and withdrew it? Or its lost or whatever. Can anyone here give a serious and responsible answer to this question?

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de

My information is that the Violin Concerto is unfinished. I shall ask Mennin's biographer, Tobias, and get a definitive answer for you :)

violinconcerto

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 03, 2012, 05:39:44 AM
My information is that the Violin Concerto is unfinished. I shall ask Mennin's biographer, Tobias, and get a definitive answer for you :)

That would be great! Thanks!

Best,
Tobias

Karl Henning

Curiosity has got the better of me at last, and I've bought the download of the Symphonies Nos 8 & 9.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 03, 2012, 05:39:44 AM
Wow! I only wish I knew someone who'd heard of Beethoven,let alone a Mennin biographer! :( ;D
  A very impressive & satisfying symphonist. I have all his symphonies on cd. No 4 & the tremendous Piano Concerto as downloads. I only wish the cd labels WOULD take note!
  The Piano Concerto is marvellous. Very exciting. Why is there only one deleted recording? What a crazy world,eh?!!

Karl Henning

The Eighth joins a select and illustrious company of purely instrumental multi-movement works drawing inspiration from Liturgy and/or Psalm.

Honegger's Symphonie liturgique, Britten's Sinfonia da requiem, Flagello's Missa sinfonica, Schuman's Ninth, Le fosse ardeatine . . . .

The Mennin is certainly his own, a symphony which both emerges organically from his own prior work, and brings forth passages which are unlike any Mennin I've heard before.  Very excited about the piece, in fact.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 04, 2012, 07:40:31 AM
  The Piano Concerto is marvellous. Very exciting. Why is there only one deleted recording? What a crazy world,eh?!!

New concerti have an even tougher road than new symphonies.  First, you've got to have a soloist who believes in it enough to work it up;  which is to say, in many (most?) cases, the performer who creates the première, winds up being the only performer to take an interest in it.  Then, too, with a symphony, you "only" need the conductor with the sympathy for the piece, and the will to program it . . . where with a concerto, even if you find a soloist, the orchestra works practically as hard as for a new symphony, but atop that, there is the challenge of accompanying the soloist, in a work which has scant track record.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on June 04, 2012, 07:41:29 AMThe Eighth joins a select and illustrious company of purely instrumental multi-movement works drawing inspiration from Liturgy and/or Psalm.

Honegger's Symphonie liturgique, Britten's Sinfonia da requiem, Flagello's Missa sinfonica, Schnittke's Second . . . .

Just a reminder - Schnittke's 2nd is NOT purely instrumental. It's very much a choral work.

Karl Henning

Of course, you're right! Lost my own train o' thought, there ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

cilgwyn

Quote from: eyeresist on June 04, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
Just a reminder - Schnittke's 2nd is NOT purely instrumental. It's very much a choral work.
You're lucky,Karl! I didn't know that! ??? ::)
Incidentally,Britten's 'Sinfonia da Requiem' is one of my favourite choral works! ;D

Thanks for you're very interesting composer perspective on the concerto problem! It just goes to prove,you can't have one without the other.(Must get some bread for that cheese!) The Mennin has been around for quite a while,though. A brand new,first rate recording might help spread the 'word' (notes);but that's only half the problem!
  So it's back to my download :(,and,Wow! It's ONLY John Ogdon! :o :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on June 04, 2012, 07:41:29 AM
The Eighth joins a select and illustrious company of purely instrumental multi-movement works drawing inspiration from Liturgy and/or Psalm.

Honegger's Symphonie liturgique, Britten's Sinfonia da requiem, Flagello's Missa sinfonica . . .

. . . and Schuman's Ninth, Le fosse ardeatine; knew there was another to which I'd listened not long ago!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

cilgwyn

The 1972 Gramophone review,possibly,didn't do much help! Coupled with some music by Yardumian,the review describes it as a "worthy Lp". Other nuggets include,"I don't think it will arouse much enthusiasm","blandly impersonal" & (in relation to both composers) "faceless cosmopolitanism".

Ah,what do those reviewers know,anyway?!!! :( ;D

Okay,where are those Mennin cd's? Egad! Methinks,I am in the mood for some 'faceless cosmopolitanism'! :)

bumtz

Alan Cuckston

Re : Peter Mennin's Violin Concerto
Claire Reis, in the 1947 edition of her book 'Composers in America' mentions that a Violin Concerto had been commissioned from Mennin by Roman Totenberg.
Also, David Ewen in his 1982 'Composers in America - a Biographical Dictionary' lists a Violin Concerto of 1950. Is there a manuscript in existence ?

cilgwyn

I managed to find a cheap copy of Mennin's Fourth Symphony on the Phoenix label. This prompted me to another Mennin odyssey,beginning with No3. Wow! These are exciting. Talk about propulsive,wiry energy! The slow movements are very powerful. No Roy Harris style problems here!! They really do pack a punch!
Have to cook supper now,so I can't really say much,or my digestive system will...........later on!!! ??? :(

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 07, 2013, 09:21:05 AM
I managed to find a cheap copy of Mennin's Fourth Symphony on the Phoenix label. This prompted me to another Mennin odyssey,beginning with No3. Wow! These are exciting. Talk about propulsive,wiry energy! The slow movements are very powerful. No Roy Harris style problems here!! They really do pack a punch!
Have to cook supper now,so I can't really say much,or my digestive system will...........later on!!! ??? :(

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bhodges

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 07, 2013, 09:21:05 AM

Cool! Mennin is very off the radar for most listeners. Last fall I got acquainted with Symphonies 3 and 7 on an excellent Naxos recording - hadn't heard either one, and they are formidable pieces.

http://www.juilliard.edu/journal/2012-2013/1211/articles/discoveries.php

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on May 02, 2012, 09:27:01 AM
To my knowledge, I've never heard a single note of Mennin's work; any suggestions from those who know my taste in music?

Any luck, Edward?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA