Pierné's prosit

Started by Lethevich, September 15, 2011, 03:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

After our good friend John Rich, introduced me to Pierne through the 3rd movement of the L'An Mil, I found myself intreged to hear more from this composer. So please give me some suggestions for some pieces and recordings!

Thank you,
Best Wishes
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

I have to say - I listened to L'an mil a second time and was a good deal less impressed with the first movement. Perhaps that's my typical aversion to crashing cymbals coming through? The second movement still strikes me as absolutely wonderful, but the baritone solo just left me more confused than ever. Final movement terrific. Perhaps not a piece to listen to twice in two days, is all...

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 19, 2011, 09:56:08 AM
After our good friend John Rich, introduced me to Pierne through the 3rd movement of the L'An Mil, I found myself intreged to hear more from this composer. So please give me some suggestions for some pieces and recordings!

You've got to hear the Luxembourg Philharmonic recording of Cydalise!

kyjo

Heard Pierné's Ramuntcho Suite no. 1 on the radio today and found it really delightful. Must investigate more by this composer.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

If you heard it on the radio, that means it's not in your collection, then? Here's the perfect remedy, adding one of Pierné's best scores, the piano concerto:

There are other performances of the concerto, on Chandos among others. And of course do get the complete Cydalise !

SymphonicAddict

I agree with André about the Piano Concerto, one of his best compositions. The Ramuntcho Suites are unknown to me, so I'll listen to them in due course.

kyjo

Thanks, guys! Looking forward to hearing more of Pierné's music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Listening to some wonderful works of this composer, I was thinking he didn't write any symphony, neither did he write a string quartet. I'd love to hear such works by him. However, I feel happy by his very substantial Piano Quintet and Piano Trio.

kyjo

I've really liked everything I've heard so far by Pierné. His Piano Concerto, in particularly, is an absolutely delightful work (with a dramatic, attention-grabbing opening) which is not a note too long. I'd say it's on par with the Saint-Saëns PCs.

Jo498

I only very recently got the Piano trio and quintet on jpc's Atma sale. Both works are worthwhile. Not quite in Fauré's class, a bit more romantic and picturesque (both use some basque or other local dance rhythm in one movement). I probably have the piano concerto as well in some box but I don't remember.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

david johnson

He conducted the premiere of Stravinsky's "Firebird".

André

Yes, he had quite a career as a conductor (Colonne Orchestra from 1910-1934). He created Enesco's 3rd symphony. Some of his recordings are available on the Saint-Laurent label.

His ballet Cydalise et le chèvre-pied is one of his finest creations. He was not a musical Rembrandt, more of a Seurat if that helps.

Brian

I love when BIS founder/CEO Robert von Bahr gets cantankerous in his reminiscences about albums he has recorded. Today (Sept. 8 ) this album is the eClassical daily deal, and von Bahr is not generous:

"This record almost didn't get done. All of a sudden France idiotically decided that, while they welcomed IRA, ETA, Baader Meinhof etc as members of the EU, all other citizens would have to apply for a visa to get into France, since, as everyone knows, Sweden was the proverbial home of terrorists. I refused out of principle, and so the recording was delayed, until the French Embassy came to me, picked up my passport, took it to the Embassy and gave me a visa without me applying for it and without costs, and then delivered the passport back to me. Then, and only then, did I enter France to do the recording, and, so, guys, the question would be: was it worth it? Dag Achatz valiantly goes through the Piano Concerto in a hall that would be better suited for Medieval polychoral music, the orchestra fought to get the notes of the very inoffensive music in place, and I was bored to tears. So, while it was fun to put France in place, the answer must be - for me personally - nah. But, since the record sold decently, I must be wrong... RvB"

(click link to purchase, US $4.17 if you see this in the next few hours)

In case you're curious about his visa rant: Sweden joined the EU in 1995; this album was recorded in October 1987. France had begun requiring everyone from outside the Common Market to get visas before entering the country a year before, following a wave of terrorist attacks. So RvB should have known and was being a stubborn old mule  ;D