Søren Nils Eichberg (b.1973)

Started by foxandpeng, September 17, 2022, 05:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Surprised to see that there is no thread for Søren Eichberg yet, but I'm glad to start one!

I'll add a longer post with some bio and other information later when I am in front of a laptop, but interested to know if there are other SNE fans out there?

Currently listening to his 3 available symphonies on Spotify, and enjoying his large-scale, energetic, pounding sound world. These are immediately accessible and engaging works without the angst of Tabakov but with an underlying dark hue that is really enjoyable.

I think this warm endorsement of his first two symphonies is pretty accurate:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/July13/Eichberg_sys_8226109.htm

Both have poked their way into my regular rotation over the last 12 months, particularly #2.

Despite being generally cautious around choral/vocal works, I also really appreciate his Symphony 3 with its noisy, dramatic, percussive opening, and the unfolding blend of orchestral and choral elements. It really is a great listen.

#3 is coupled with the seven movements or dreamscapes of his Concerto for Orchestra, Morpheus, who in Greek mythology is the most powerful of the Oneroi, the gods of dreams. He is the one who sends us our dreams and he may appear to us within the dreams in disguise. Really compelling and powerful.

Another resounding review here:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Nov/Eichberg_sy3_8226144.htm

Anyway, I hope some others find Eichberg to be as worthwhile as I do!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

relm1

I liked his 1st and 2nd but didn't know there was a 3rd so thanks for pointing it out!  I've added to my listening list.

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on September 17, 2022, 05:54:36 AM
I liked his 1st and 2nd but didn't know there was a 3rd so thanks for pointing it out!  I've added to my listening list.

Hope you really enjoy! I found the whole disc tremendously rewarding 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy