Latvian composers

Started by Maciek, July 14, 2008, 05:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Rinaldo on February 17, 2019, 09:48:16 AM
Hmm, combing through this thread, the Ešenvalds piqued my interest. There's a live performance of the Visions of Arctic: Night available on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/v/1OBWbDbpzyo

I was expecting a dark, brooding piece, but there seems to be a lot more going on in the Arctic during the night! Quite enjoyable, the sombre middle part is beautiful.
I love that work and find it very moving. I think of the Northern Lights (which I have never seen) in that central section.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

I have a similar experience with Ēriks Ešenvalds' recent (2014) Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis, which we (my choir) started singing, last week. One specific passage is haunting me for days already:
https://www.youtube.com/v/j2s9KujfmXM
(Actually I met him in person, but very superficially, five years ago in the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, at the occasion of a premiere of another new choral piece by him).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SymphonicAddict

This is land plenty of remarkable composers. I'm enjoying largely the Skulte's 5th right now. The Garuta will be worth listening too, so do the Esenvalds and Ivanovs.

vandermolen

Thought I'd promote this fine disc again:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Never having been to the Baltic states, and not having any personal friends from Latvia (unless you count a few youthful indiscretions with bar nights - ahem), I was wondering if anyone here can state which composer is generally considered the 'greatest'?  While there are not dozens of them, the situation in Latvia IS different from, say, Enescu's in Romania.
I haven't found a definitive critical consensus in any of the literature I have on the subject.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

I wrote to the Latvian Music Information Centre (they issue Skani recording) enquiring why one of Janis Ivanov's greatest symphonies, No.11, had never been released on CD (there is an old LP) when other Ivanovs symphonies have been recorded more than once (nos 5 and 20 for example). Here is the helpful reply I received today:

'Thank you for your interest in music by Jānis Ivanovs! It is our goal to release all symphonies by Jānis Ivnovs on our SKANi label, but the exact release schedule of these works depend on our partners Latvian National Symphony Orchestra. At the moment their concert hall The Great Guild in Riga is in renovation and recording process does not take place there. However, we will resume the work on the symphonic cycle as soon as that will be possible. Please keep posted,'

Symphonic Addict

Thanks for the info, Jeffrey. Very helpful.

The other day I was listening to his 9th Symphony and I thought it was a significantly strong and brooding piece. Some of his symphonies sound depressing, too anguished and unfocused to me, but others leave me very impressed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 23, 2022, 09:58:13 AM
Thanks for the info, Jeffrey. Very helpful.

The other day I was listening to his 9th Symphony and I thought it was a significantly strong and brooding piece. Some of his symphonies sound depressing, too anguished and unfocused to me, but others leave me very impressed.
Yes, I agree that they are variable Cesar, although I've been enjoying the recently released No.17. Off the top of my head I like the early ones like 3 - 5, 8, 11, 17 and 20 although, of course, I don't know them all.
Good to see you back here by the way.  :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 23, 2022, 11:14:15 PM
Yes, I agree that they are variable Cesar, although I've been enjoying the recently released No.17. Off the top of my head I like the early ones like 3 - 5, 8, 11, 17 and 20 although, of course, I don't know them all.
Good to see you back here by the way.  :)

Thank you, Jeffrey! Much appreciated!

I'm eager to listen to the forthcoming releases to have a better appreciation of his symphonies. Both sound quality and interpretation in some of them don't show their real greatness.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Rihards Dubra
Symphony 2
Atvars Lakstigala
Liepaja Symphony Orchestra
Skani

Not seen any advocacy for Rihards Dubra, but what a great symphony. This is expansive and beautiful. It isn't just Talivaldis Kenins, Imants Kalnins and Pēteris Vasks who are holding up the Latvians! I know I bleat on about them constantly.

I need to explore more Ivanovs.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy