Author Topic: Catherine Lamb (b. 1982)  (Read 151 times)

Online Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Catherine Lamb (b. 1982)
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:26:16 AM »
I've now heard two fascinating works by Catherine Lamb: Prisma Interius VI (2017) and divisio spiralis (2019). Both are longish (about an hour), meditative, microtonal, and well worth hearing. Born in the U.S., Lamb now lives in Berlin.

http://www.sacredrealism.org/catlamb/index.html

You can hear divisio spiralis tonight by the JACK Quartet, who gave the premiere:

https://roulette.org/event/jack-quartet-plays-catherine-lamb/

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Artem

Re: Catherine Lamb (b. 1982)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »
I love her shorter piece for double bass solo that was released on NEOS several years ago. Highly recommended work.

Online T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:27:33 PM »
She has some recordings on Another Timbre.
I haven't heard the most recent one, but I listened to a lot of sound samples last year. I like microtonal music, thought Lamb's pieces were interesting, but didn't purchase any. ISTR being more interested in larger ensemble works at the time (lots of solos and duets in the Another Timbre catalog). Will look for the quartet.

Online Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 02:46:59 PM »
I love her shorter piece for double bass solo that was released on NEOS several years ago. Highly recommended work.

Thanks! (And I'm positively inclined toward NEOS in general -- excellent label.)

She has some recordings on Another Timbre.
I haven't heard the most recent one, but I listened to a lot of sound samples last year. I like microtonal music, thought Lamb's pieces were interesting, but didn't purchase any. ISTR being more interested in larger ensemble works at the time (lots of solos and duets in the Another Timbre catalog). Will look for the quartet.

And appreciate the Another Timbre recs, too. These smaller labels are invaluable.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Offline Old San Antone

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 05:07:56 PM »
I've now heard two fascinating works by Catherine Lamb: Prisma Interius VI (2017) and divisio spiralis (2019). Both are longish (about an hour), meditative, microtonal, and well worth hearing. Born in the U.S., Lamb now lives in Berlin.

http://www.sacredrealism.org/catlamb/index.html

You can hear divisio spiralis tonight by the JACK Quartet, who gave the premiere:

https://roulette.org/event/jack-quartet-plays-catherine-lamb/

--Bruce

I interviewed Catherine back in 2018 for my blog, and it might be interesting for this thread.

Catherine Lamb : interacting points within expanding harmonic space

She discusses the series of works Prisma Interius.

A very interesting young composer.

Online Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 08:14:02 PM »
I interviewed Catherine back in 2018 for my blog, and it might be interesting for this thread.

Catherine Lamb : interacting points within expanding harmonic space

She discusses the series of works Prisma Interius.

A very interesting young composer.

Thanks, and congrats on the interview. You got some interesting responses from her!

--Bruce

~Iannis Xenakis