Ukrainian composers

Started by Maciek, July 14, 2008, 05:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Here's another Ukrainian on the rise via Naxos:

[asin]B00NWZITA8[/asin]

http://composers21.com/compdocs/stankovy.htm

Brian

I've listened to half the Lyatoshynsky series so far this week.

Symphony No 1: an enjoyable rehash of Gliere's Third, with lots of clear references to that work. Premiered by Lyatoshynsky's composition teacher...Gliere.

Grazhyna: interesting tone poem that starts and ends with Dies Irae reference by the violas.

Symphony No 2: moving into a more modern language, with crashing dark climaxes.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on October 21, 2014, 07:20:48 PM
I've listened to half the Lyatoshynsky series so far this week.

Symphony No 1: an enjoyable rehash of Gliere's Third, with lots of clear references to that work. Premiered by Lyatoshynsky's composition teacher...Gliere.

Grazhyna: interesting tone poem that starts and ends with Dies Irae reference by the violas.

Symphony No 2: moving into a more modern language, with crashing dark climaxes.

Interesting. No 3 is generally regarded as the best but I enjoy them all. I was on holiday in Wales in the summer and in a stately home shop they had the radio on and I was so much enjoying what was being broadcast that I stayed until the end to find out what it was - it was Grazhyna which I had on Marco Polo but had only played once and had not realised how good it is. Some say it is Lyatoshinsky's masterpiece. I have played it a lot since hearing it on the radio. The Naxos is the Marco Polo series reissued.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 21, 2014, 05:54:47 PM
Here's another Ukrainian on the rise via Naxos:

[asin]B00NWZITA8[/asin]

http://composers21.com/compdocs/stankovy.htm

John, I am very tempted by this - what is the style like please?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2014, 01:02:49 AM
John, I am very tempted by this - what is the style like please?

I couldn't tell you, Jeffrey. He's a new composer for me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 22, 2014, 05:56:04 AM
I couldn't tell you, Jeffrey. He's a new composer for me.

Ok thanks John. If you get the CD please let us know.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2014, 10:43:45 AM
Ok thanks John. If you get the CD please let us know.

I listened to his Symphony No. 1 on YouTube a little while ago actually and thought very little of it. Reminds me too much Penderecki and, of course, I'm not a fan of his music. If he was closer to Schnittke, then I would be onboard with his style, but it's only one work I heard, so I can't really give a fair and accurate picture of the composer at the moment.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 22, 2014, 06:28:45 PM
I listened to his Symphony No. 1 on YouTube a little while ago actually and thought very little of it. Reminds me too much Penderecki and, of course, I'm not a fan of his music. If he was closer to Schnittke, then I would be onboard with his style, but it's only one work I heard, so I can't really give a fair and accurate picture of the composer at the moment.

Very many thanks John. I partly expected that as I think that I did hear some of his music before and was rather disappointed. Maybe I should stick with Lyatoshinsky!  :)

vandermolen

My daughter is working in the Ukraine for nine months so I thought I'd revive this thread. I have recently been enjoying Lyatoshinsky's (Lyatoshynsky's) Third Symphony and Grazhyna. I want to get to know Symphony 1 better as some sources consider that the best one. His style is a bit like Miaskovsky, Tubin and Ivanovs as rough guides.
Any views on Lyatoshinsky or other Ukrainian composers?

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2017, 12:04:01 AM
My daughter is working in the Ukraine for nine months ....

Hopefully far to the west??
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Brian

A new BIS album may be of interest:

From CEO Robert von Bahr:

This SACD is a very difficult one to easily categorize, since its programme is so diverse. The red thread is Ukrainian sorrow, something, with which, in the light of recent happenings, it is easy to identify.

I will take a rather big bet that the composers (with the possible exception of Silvestrov and Lyatoshinsky), are next to unknown and also the artists, albeit formidable, are not on everyone's lips. It all was the brainchild of Natalya Pasichnyk, piano, who then has gathered a number of young, extremely talented artists around her for these Ukrainian lamentations, and BIS was only too happy to become part of this. Listen in and you'll understand why.

Zeus

Two more recent Ukrainian-themed albums:

Ukraine: Journey to Freedom
Solomiya Ivakhiv and Angelina Gadeliya
Labor Records?

Ukranian Moods
Violina Petrychenko
Ars Production

Composers on the first album include:
- Kosenko, Viktor
- Lyatoshinsky, Boris
- Karabits, Ivan
- Kryvopust, Bohdan
- Shchetynsky, Alexander
- Silvestrov, Valentin
- Skoryk, Myroslav
- Stankovych, Yevhen

and on the second album:
- Revutsky, Levko
- Kosenko, Viktor
- Shamo, Ihor
- Kolessa, Mykola

I have and like both.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Brian

I wonder if Violina's parents were disappointed in her choice of musical instrument.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Brian on January 10, 2017, 01:36:33 PM
I wonder if Violina's parents were disappointed in her choice of musical instrument.

Probably not as much as they would be if she had chosen viola!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Zeus

Quote from: Brian on January 10, 2017, 11:21:35 AM
A new BIS album may be of interest:

Listening to this album now. Very enjoyable. Right up my alley!
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I have enjoyed some Karabits in the past

Even though the instrumentations he uses in his concertos for orchestra incorporate quite a bit of percussion and instruments less commonly found in the orchestra, I think his orchestration doesn't really venture away from anything that isn't standard. Much of the orchestral colour is stuff that has been heard before.

vandermolen

Quote from: Judge Fish on January 10, 2017, 01:21:24 PM
Two more recent Ukrainian-themed albums:

Ukraine: Journey to Freedom
Solomiya Ivakhiv and Angelina Gadeliya
Labor Records?

Ukranian Moods
Violina Petrychenko
Ars Production

Composers on the first album include:
- Kosenko, Viktor
- Lyatoshinsky, Boris
- Karabits, Ivan
- Kryvopust, Bohdan
- Shchetynsky, Alexander
- Silvestrov, Valentin
- Skoryk, Myroslav
- Stankovych, Yevhen

and on the second album:
- Revutsky, Levko
- Kosenko, Viktor
- Shamo, Ihor
- Kolessa, Mykola

I have and like both.
Just ordered the top one - not too expensive (£7.00 for double album). The Lyatoshinsky sonata looks especially interesting. Thanks for alerting us to this release.

vandermolen

I think that Grazhyna (1955) is Lyatoshinsky's orchestral masterpiece. Been listening to it tonight. It is rather in the spirit of Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead and Miaskovsky's 'Silence':
[asin]B00000460M[/asin]

André

I like Lyatoshinsky's music. At least that which I have (symphonies 3 and 4 + assorted orchestral works/suites, on the Russian Disc label).

But TBH I have a feeling that Stankovych is a more individual composer. Not necessarily better (how can you tell when both are fine?), but I pull his discs off the shelves more often. This is one of my favourites, which I listened to last month:

"Modern" music in a sense, "conventional" in the other. Stankovych  deserves to be heard.