Ukrainian composers

Started by Maciek, July 14, 2008, 05:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

IMHO an interesting release which contain Kolessa and Barvinsky Piano Concertos

Maria Krushelnytska -Masterpieces of Galician Piano Music

Gal Records seeems to be existing yet however i asked to UMKA
https://yandex.ru/maps/org/gal_rekords/1177627050/?ll=23.956793%2C49.828231&z=18

Roy Bland

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 04, 2022, 07:40:03 PM
IMHO an interesting release which contain Kolessa and Barvinsky Piano Concertos

Maria Krushelnytska -Masterpieces of Galician Piano Music

Gal Records seeems to be existing yet however i asked to UMKA
https://yandex.ru/maps/org/gal_rekords/1177627050/?ll=23.956793%2C49.828231&z=18
From UMKA
http://umka.com/eng/catalogue/piano/mariya-krushelnytska-shedevry-halyts-koji-fortepiannoji-muzyky.html

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 10, 2021, 03:43:18 AM
Happy to second that assessment - his SQ#4 is a lovely piece of music. The opening will be familiar to most people, I think, because it quotes a well-known piece whose identity I won't spoil the surprise. Also a fan of SQ#5, which seems to look over its shoulder less toward the past and is less likely to have been approved by the powers that be. It doesn't have the lyrical immediacy of #4, but that's not a criticism by any means. Reminiscent of Shostakovich, maybe? He does melody and Ukrainian folk tunes throughout, so that is never going to be anything other than a winner, for me.

I'm not a lover of piano music as a general principle and tend to avoid it until I'm in the right frame of mind, so haven't heard the Trio No.2. A friend of mine recommends it as being too good to miss, so I guess I will get there eventually.

I would also recommend the viola concerto from Japanese Silhouettes, released by ESSAY Recordings. The silhouettes themselves are quality.

There's a bit of Klebanov on YouTube, I see, including at least a couple of his early symphonies. I've only heard #3, which is a great listen even though the recording is from before Adam was a lad. I'd love to hear more from him, symphonically!

Anyway, count me in as a fan.

EDIT: Hurwitz has also commented on the new Chamber Music disc, but I don't often listen to those. I imagine he waxes lyrical about it too :)
Good to know that you liked this CD as well Danny. I enjoyed your review.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2022, 10:30:18 PM
Good to know that you liked this CD as well Danny. I enjoyed your review.

Thank you. Great music, which is particularly welcome at this grey point in the calendar.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

The Taras Shevchenko National Award Committee of Ukraine announced the nominees for 2023. Among the 27 shortlisted works of art is the joint work of the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance with the Khoreya Kozatska band and its leader Taras Kompanichenko: the audio album "Songs of the Ukrainian Revolution".

The project was nominated for the Shevchenko Prize for Musical Art.

The audio album "Songs of the Ukrainian Revolution" is dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Revolution, published in 2019.

The authors of the songs included in the album are the classics of Ukrainian literature: Oleksandr Oles, Hrytsko Chuprinka, Mykola Voronyi, Hrystia Alchevska and others. Composers - Kyrylo Stetsenko, Mykola Leontovych, Oleksandr Koshyts, Yakiv Stepovy, Pavlo Sinitsa, Kostyantyn Boguslavskyi, Levko Revutskyi.

joachim

It seems to me that nobody until now has mentioned Roman Simovych, born in 1901 in Snyatyn (then in Galicia, Austria-Hungary, today in Ukraine) and died in Lviv in 1984. His style is somewhat reminiscent of Rachmaninoff.
I couldn't find a CD, but there are some works on Youtube, including this piano concerto :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lqy9rPL0Ic

Brahmsian

A rather lovely string quartet by Vasyl Barvinsky (1888-1963).  I don't think commercially recorded, at least I don't think this performance is.  Performed by the Lysenko String Quartet in 1978.

It is a short work, around 13.5 minutes, with the opening melancholic Theme and Variations movement lasting for over half the length of the quartet.  I really enjoyed that and the highly folk music flavoured short Scherzo and Finale movements.  Sound isn't the greatest, but not terrible either.

Roy Bland

Quote from: joachim on February 20, 2023, 09:41:04 AMIt seems to me that nobody until now has mentioned Roman Simovych, born in 1901 in Snyatyn (then in Galicia, Austria-Hungary, today in Ukraine) and died in Lviv in 1984. His style is somewhat reminiscent of Rachmaninoff.
I couldn't find a CD, but there are some works on Youtube, including this piano concerto :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lqy9rPL0Ic

On him
https://ukrainianlive.org/simovych-roman

Brahmsian

Sampling some beautiful music for violin and piano from Mykola Lysenko (1842-1912)

Lysenko - Violin and PIano music

Symphonic Addict

Some days ago I was impressed by de Hartmann's Symphonie-Poème No. 1 on the Toccata Classics recording and today it was this splendid CD. The Symphonie-Poème No. 3 sounds even more personal than his first effort in the form. The 1st movement is incredibly atmospheric and eloquent, like evoking some foggy landscape where suspense is the rule. The 2nd movement contrasts by presenting a little more of agitation, whilst the 3rd and final movement features festive and folk music. The last minutes with those tolling bells are really magical, like vanishing into nothingness. I think this is a fabulous work whose style sounds significantly unique.

The Piano Concerto is not far behind in remarkable ideas and shimmering orchestration, sounding fresh, poetic, inspired and inspiriting with some slight touches of Ravel in some sections. The Scherzo fantastique (as some other similar works by other composers) is imbued with wizardry-like gestures that make it quite enjoyable and energetic. All in all, this is a winning CD that shows a very talented composer who didn't intend to sound like anyone else.

Now I want to hear his Symphonie-Poème No. 2 (hopefully Toccata Classica will embrace this project soon), the No. 4 was already recorded but it's unfinished with only 5 or 6 minutes of it.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 28, 2023, 08:50:56 PMSome days ago I was impressed by de Hartmann's Symphonie-Poème No. 1 on the Toccata Classics recording and today it was this splendid CD. The Symphonie-Poème No. 3 sounds even more personal than his first effort in the form. The 1st movement is incredibly atmospheric and eloquent, like evoking some foggy landscape where suspense is the rule. The 2nd movement contrasts by presenting a little more of agitation, whilst the 3rd and final movement features festive and folk music. The last minutes with those tolling bells are really magical, like vanishing into nothingness. I think this is a fabulous work whose style sounds significantly unique.

The Piano Concerto is not far behind in remarkable ideas and shimmering orchestration, sounding fresh, poetic, inspired and inspiriting with some slight touches of Ravel in some sections. The Scherzo fantastique (as some other similar works by other composers) is imbued with wizardry-like gestures that make it quite enjoyable and energetic. All in all, this is a winning CD that shows a very talented composer who didn't intend to sound like anyone else.

Now I want to hear his Symphonie-Poème No. 2 (hopefully Toccata Classica will embrace this project soon), the No. 4 was already recorded but it's unfinished with only 5 or 6 minutes of it.

I also enjoyed the de Hartmann CD on Toccata Cesar (a recommendation of Harry's I think). This one looks most interesting.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 28, 2023, 11:02:06 PMI also enjoyed the de Hartmann CD on Toccata Cesar (a recommendation of Harry's I think). This one looks most interesting.

It certainly is, Jeffrey. I also saw you ordered a copy. I hope the music will be of your taste!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 29, 2023, 10:53:16 AMIt certainly is, Jeffrey. I also saw you ordered a copy. I hope the music will be of your taste!
:)

AnotherSpin

Piano music of the period of the Ukrainian-Russian war (2023) by Valentin Silvestrov

Available on bandcamp.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 30, 2023, 08:52:43 AMPiano music of the period of the Ukrainian-Russian war (2023) by Valentin Silvestrov

Available on bandcamp.

I tried listening to some songs that you suggested; alas, I had no idea what they were about.  Is there a good place to find translations of his songs?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2023, 10:01:46 AMI tried listening to some songs that you suggested; alas, I had no idea what they were about.  Is there a good place to find translations of his songs?

PD

I don't know, unfortunately. Most of the songs in the cycle are on very famous poems. Maybe there are translations in the ECM CD booklet, not sure though.