Ukrainian composers

Started by Maciek, July 14, 2008, 05:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 11, 2017, 12:06:03 PM
I like Lyatoshinsky's music. At least that which I have (symphonies 3 and 4 + assorted orchestral works/suites, on the Russian Disc label).

But TBH I have a feeling that Stankovych is a more individual composer. Not necessarily better (how can you tell when both are fine?), but I pull his discs off the shelves more often. This is one of my favourites, which I listened to last month:

"Modern" music in a sense, "conventional" in the other. Stankovych  deserves to be heard.
I need to listen to more of Stankovych - I'm sure I have a CD or two of his music - somewhere  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on January 10, 2017, 09:14:32 PM
I have enjoyed some Karabits in the past

Even though the instrumentations he uses in his concertos for orchestra incorporate quite a bit of percussion and instruments less commonly found in the orchestra, I think his orchestration doesn't really venture away from anything that isn't standard. Much of the orchestral colour is stuff that has been heard before.

That's an excellent disc. I especially like those Silvestrov works.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2017, 04:32:15 PM
That's an excellent disc. I especially like those Silvestrov works.
Yes the Silvestrov is nice here. I liked it when Karabits deviated from my expectations here...especially with the inclusion of harpsichord in one of the concertos for orchestra! But I feel like these deviations to things a little more interesting/unexpected were just a little too rare for me.

Zeus

Listening to the Karabits disc now.  This one belongs on this thread too....

Skoryk: Concerti & Orchestral Works
Odessa Philharmonic Orchestra, Hobart Earle
Naxos

[asin] B00LFPND80[/asin]

A real find!
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

some guy

So no love for Roslavets?

Well, maybe it's just the difficulty of establishing what "Ukrainian" means. Just as well that that kind of thing is difficult.

But the one who springs most readily to my mind, Kotra, was born in Kiev. So there's that.

Kotra is the nom de plume of Dmytro Fedorenko, who also runs two record labels in Ukraine, Kvitnu, which he founded, and Nexsound, which Andrey Kirichenko founded.

My first album of Kotra's was dissilient.

Here's a track from that, with a colorful video to go along with it: https://vimeo.com/24862240

Zeus

^ Hmmm.  How to word this....

Those who like that kind of music might love it !!!  To me, it sounds like something out of a sonic weapons lab.  But I guess the intent is to shock, no?

Btw, I found 42 discs available for download on eMusic from the Kvitnu record label.  So they're developing some international reach at least.

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

some guy

Quote from: Bubbles on May 30, 2018, 05:44:11 PM
I guess the intent is to shock, no?
No.

The intent of the composer is to write some interesting music. You know, like Palestrina did. And Mozart. And Chopin....

Even my intent, while certainly open to question, was no really to shock, but to widen the scope of "Ukrainian composer" just a bit. (I was feeling a bit claustrophobic, anyway, reading through this thread. Just a bit.)

Roy Bland

Stanislav Lyudkevich 40° death

vandermolen

Quote from: some guy on May 30, 2018, 11:38:14 AM
So no love for Roslavets?

Well, maybe it's just the difficulty of establishing what "Ukrainian" means. Just as well that that kind of thing is difficult.

But the one who springs most readily to my mind, Kotra, was born in Kiev. So there's that.

Kotra is the nom de plume of Dmytro Fedorenko, who also runs two record labels in Ukraine, Kvitnu, which he founded, and Nexsound, which Andrey Kirichenko founded.

My first album of Kotra's was dissilient.

Here's a track from that, with a colorful video to go along with it: https://vimeo.com/24862240
I like the music of Roslavets, especially this CD:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

For fans of Roslavets this is a stunning CD featuring his piano trios, except the No. 1 which is lost.

Gripping, tense, dramatic, dark and never dull. Nos. 2 and 4 are simply impressive, the No. 3 is less so but still very engaging. It's a mystery why they're not better known.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

And this:

I don't have strong memories of them right now, but I do remember them being supremely interesting.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2017, 12:11:53 PM
I need to listen to more of Stankovych - I'm sure I have a CD or two of his music - somewhere  ::)

Found them ? Probably the Marco Polo disc of symphonies 1, 2 and 4

Remember this Jeffrey?  :laugh:

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 19, 2019, 05:32:29 PM
Found them ? Probably the Marco Polo disc of symphonies 1, 2 and 4

Remember this Jeffrey?  :laugh:

Haha  :)

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Various choral works(Lyatoshinsky,Lysenko,Stogerenko,Revutsky) conducted  by Muravsky:
http://pavlomuravskyi.com/pisennyj-kobzar-dyryguye-pavlo-muravskyj.html

http://pavlomuravskyi.com/pisennyj-kobzar-albom-2.html

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland