Ukrainian composers

Started by Maciek, July 14, 2008, 05:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Maiboroda's Opera "Yaroslav the wise"

vandermolen

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2021, 11:54:26 AM
What's it like Roy?

I Just listened to it.  Composer was born 1913 and this opera (not oratorio) was composed in the early 1970's.  More conservative than I thought it would be.  There are near quotes of Mussorgsky, Borodin, Rimsky-korsakav so if you like the Russian tradition, you'll enjoy this.  The language could be from 100 years earlier but lacking the originality.  For example, Mussorgsky is a very original voice in the 1870's-80's but in 1970's, it's pastiche...an impersonation.  Fortunately, I happen to love Russian music so enjoyed this but afterwords felt it didn't really have much to say except to imitate old Russian style.  That is a contrast to Rachmaninoff who looked to the past but had something individual to say.  For example, Rachmaninoff's operas are not particularly memorable or his best achievements but you hear his individual voice in those works which makes them worth hearing if you that composer.  But here, you can remove that individual voice and you can see, the result is a bit...empty.  If you compare him to contemporaneous Ukrainian composers like Epshai, there you find a lineage to the Ukrainian school such as Gliere, but here that line isn't noticed.  It's a traditional, late romantic Russian opera written in the 1970s as if the 20th century didn't happen.  If that's what you want, you'll enjoy it but I would say, it lacks the original voices of its predecessors.  An imitation rather than the real thing.

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Cd of the national project "Three" S ": Skorik - Stankovich - Silvestrov, in Kiev, November 10, 2017. On this day, a gala concert of the project" Three "S": Skorik - Stankovich - Silvestrov took place in Kiev. "Three" S "- these are three" whales "of modern Ukrainian classical music - legendary composers Miroslav Skorik, Yevgeny Stankovich and Valentin Silvestrov. The concert was attended by: Honored Academic Symphony Orchestra of Ukrainian Radio. Artistic Director and Chief Conductor: People's Art. Ukraine Volodymyr Sheiko. Municipal chamber choir "Kiev" Artistic director and conductor: w.d.m. Ukraine, laureate of the T. Shevchenko National Prize Nikolay Gobdich

MusicTurner

This CD with Ukrainian piano music caught my attention - admittedly also partly because the pianist's first name is ... Violina :)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ukrainian-moods-piano-miniatures/hnum/8419764

(I see though that it was mentioned some years ago, in post #32)

Maestro267

This seems like the right thread to bump for this...

Anyone familiar with the music of Dmitri Klebanov? I was going down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and it mentioned his name, and I've never heard of him until just now. Born 1907, died 1987, composer of 9 symphonies among other works in the usual genres. Amazon lists one recording available, and as it happens Chandos is releasing a disc of chamber music in a few weeks' time.

Roy Bland

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 20, 2021, 05:43:28 AM

Anyone familiar with the music of Dmitri Klebanov? I was going down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and it mentioned his name, and I've never heard of him until just now. Born 1907, died 1987, composer of 9 symphonies among other works in the usual genres. Amazon lists one recording available, and as it happens Chandos is releasing a disc of chamber music in a few weeks' time.
Here the First Symphony,Soviet music critic accused him to be not enough patriotic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5q3mGLTj4

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

vandermolen

I really like the new Chandos chamber music CD.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on December 09, 2021, 10:55:28 PM
I really like the new Chandos chamber music CD.

Happy to second that assessment - his SQ#4 is a lovely piece of music. The opening will be familiar to most people, I think, because it quotes a well-known piece whose identity I won't spoil the surprise. Also a fan of SQ#5, which seems to look over its shoulder less toward the past and is less likely to have been approved by the powers that be. It doesn't have the lyrical immediacy of #4, but that's not a criticism by any means. Reminiscent of Shostakovich, maybe? He does melody and Ukrainian folk tunes throughout, so that is never going to be anything other than a winner, for me.

I'm not a lover of piano music as a general principle and tend to avoid it until I'm in the right frame of mind, so haven't heard the Trio No.2. A friend of mine recommends it as being too good to miss, so I guess I will get there eventually.

I would also recommend the viola concerto from Japanese Silhouettes, released by ESSAY Recordings. The silhouettes themselves are quality.

There's a bit of Klebanov on YouTube, I see, including at least a couple of his early symphonies. I've only heard #3, which is a great listen even though the recording is from before Adam was a lad. I'd love to hear more from him, symphonically!

Anyway, count me in as a fan.

EDIT: Hurwitz has also commented on the new Chamber Music disc, but I don't often listen to those. I imagine he waxes lyrical about it too :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 09, 2021, 06:49:58 PM

Thanks, Roy. I have some Stankovych works which I really enjoy. I'll try to locate this opera.

Daverz

In addition to the Chandos disc, this is a lovely disc:

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-8240/