de Falla Station

Started by Szykneij, February 19, 2011, 08:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

This year marks the centennial of the first performances of El retablo de Maese Pedro (Master Peter's Puppet Show), first in concert form in Seville on March 23rd, 1923, then fully staged in Paris on 25th June, invitation only at the salon of the Princesse de Polignac (née Winaretta Singer), who had commissioned the work, and then on November 13th  —now for the general public— in Jean Wiéner's concert series at the Salle des Agriculteurs.

To celebrate the occasion, the prestigious Residencia de Estudiantes here in Madrid has mounted an exhibition on the work. It covers many aspects, including Falla's admiration for Cervantes (he had 30 different editions of Don Quixote in his library), correspondence with the princess, the designs made bu Manuel Ángeles Ortiz, Hernando Viñes and Hermenegildo Lanz for the première and subsequent productions, and some artwork (by e.g. Antonio Saura and Miquel Barceló) related to more modern stagings of the piece. I went this morning, and it's quite delightful and informative (I'll probably go again, as it's on until late January). I hope they publish a catalogue (it seems to be in preparation) as it would include much information on this masterpiece.

Here's some pictures: