Boris Lyatoshynsky [1895-1968]

Started by Scion7, June 26, 2016, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

I thoroughly enjoyed the Kirill Karabits's concert performance of Lyatoshynsky's Symphony No. 3.  I think this performance is better than the chandos recording.  That must have been amazing to hear live! 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 18, 2023, 05:00:47 PMI thoroughly enjoyed the Kirill Karabits's concert performance of Lyatoshynsky's Symphony No. 3.  I think this performance is better than the chandos recording.  That must have been amazing to hear live! 
Glad you enjoyed it.
It was a very moving occasion and I'm so glad that I made the effort, dragging my family along as well, to go there. Both works (Rachamaninov/Lyatoshynsky) received standing ovations from the packed audience and the moving Silvestrov piano encore in the first half added to the poignancy of the evening. The pianist herself looked very emotional as she came off stage. I agree that the performance of the Lyatoshynsky was terrific.

Here's a review of the concert which I found online:
https://bachtrack.com/review-karabits-fedorova-lyatoshynsky-rachmaninov-bbcso-barbican-january-2023
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2023, 12:25:27 AMGlad you enjoyed it.
It was a very moving occasion and I'm so glad that I made the effort, dragging my family along as well, to go there. Both works (Rachamaninov/Lyatoshynsky) received standing ovations from the packed audience and the moving Silvestrov piano encore in the first half added to the poignancy of the evening. The pianist herself looked very emotional as she came off stage. I agree that the performance of the Lyatoshynsky was terrific.

Here's a review of the concert which I found online:
https://bachtrack.com/review-karabits-fedorova-lyatoshynsky-rachmaninov-bbcso-barbican-january-2023
Did you say the concert might be on line?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2023, 09:52:54 AMDid you say the concert might be on line?
On BBC Sounds for 30 days I think Karl but I'm not sure if you have access to it in downtown Boston!

Here's the link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gyn0
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2023, 10:48:32 AMOn BBC Sounds for 30 days I think Karl but I'm not sure if you have access to it in downtown Boston!

Here's the link:
Thanks! I know a work-around.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roy Bland

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Having been privileged to hear Lyatoshynsky's 3rd Symphony live last Sunday, in London, I thought that I'd do a survey of all four CD recordings of the work (two on Russian Disc/one on Marco Polo/Naxos and the more recent Chandos recording). The earliest is the live Mravinsky recording with the Leningrad PO from 1955 (it must be the first recording of the recently completed work). David Fanning in a survey of soviet symphonies (Musicweb) advised against it stating that it was poorly performed and recorded. It's true that the rather raucous recording is characteristic of soviet-era productions of that period. However, I enjoyed the performance itself rather more than did Mr Fanning and felt that it has a pioneering urgency about it. I also enjoyed the Lyadov works (Baba-Yaga and The Enchanted Lake) on the same CD. Far better recorded is the alternative Russian Disc release (1994) with Vladimir Gnedash conducting the Ukrainian Radio and TV SO. I don't think that anyone would be disappointed with this performance although, arguably, even better is the contemporaneous (1993) release on Marco Polo/Naxos with the Ukrainian State SO conducted by Theodore Kuchar. This IMO is the best version of the revised edition of the Symphony No.3. Best of all, however, is the recent (2019) recording of the original version (the only one featuring the original, rather darker, finale) conducted by Kirill Karabits (the conductor from last Sunday) with the Bournemouth SO on Chandos (last Sunday's concert which is still available online for c.25 days on BBC Sounds was with the BBC SO). This one also features the most interesting filler - 'Grazhyna' which is arguably Lyatoshynsky's masterpiece. So, in conclusion, being an obsessive completist, I wouldn't be without any of these recordings. However I think that the Naxos/Marco Polo recording is the best one of the revised version, although the No.1 choice has to be the Karabits recording of the original version on Chandos.

PS I wonder how many people spend their Saturday nights conducting comparative surveys of recordings of Lyatoshynsky's 3rd Symphony  8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2023, 11:51:44 AMHaving been privileged to hear Lyatoshynsky's 3rd Symphony live last Sunday, in London, I thought that I'd do a survey of all four CD recordings of the work (two on Russian Disc/one on Marco Polo/Naxos and the more recent Chandos recording). The earliest is the live Mravinsky recording with the Leningrad PO from 1955 (it must be the first recording of the recently completed work). David Fanning in a survey of soviet symphonies (Musicweb) advised against it stating that it was poorly performed and recorded. It's true that the rather raucous recording is characteristic of soviet-era productions of that period. However, I enjoyed the performance itself rather more than did Mr Fanning and felt that it has a pioneering urgency about it. I also enjoyed the Lyadov works (Baba-Yaga and The Enchanted Lake) on the same CD. Far better recorded is the alternative Russian Disc release (1994) with Vladimir Gnedash conducting the Ukrainian Radio and TV SO. I don't think that anyone would be disappointed with this performance although, arguably, even better is the contemporaneous (1993) release on Marco Polo/Naxos with the Ukrainian State SO conducted by Theodore Kuchar. This IMO is the best version of the revised edition of the Symphony No.3. Best of all, however, is the recent (2019) recording of the original version (the only one featuring the original, rather darker, finale) conducted by Kirill Karabits (the conductor from last Sunday) with the Bournemouth SO on Chandos (last Sunday's concert which is still available online for c.25 days on BBC Sounds was with the BBC SO). This one also features the most interesting filler - 'Grazhyna' which is arguably Lyatoshynsky's masterpiece. So, in conclusion, being an obsessive completist, I wouldn't be without any of these recordings. However I think that the Naxos/Marco Polo recording is the best one of the revised version, although the No.1 choice has to be the Karabits recording of the original version on Chandos.

PS I wonder how many people spend their Saturday nights conducting comparative surveys of recordings of Lyatoshynsky's 3rd Symphony  8)

My favorite is the 1993 Marco Polo/Naxos with the Ukrainian State SO conducted by Theodore Kuchar because for me, it has the best first and second movement.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2023, 10:48:32 AMOn BBC Sounds for 30 days I think Karl but I'm not sure if you have access to it in downtown Boston!

Here's the link:
Superb piece! Great concert!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 21, 2023, 05:15:31 PMMy favorite is the 1993 Marco Polo/Naxos with the Ukrainian State SO conducted by Theodore Kuchar because for me, it has the best first and second movement.
Yes, it's a fine recording I agree.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 21, 2023, 05:33:32 PMSuperb piece! Great concert!
Good to know Karl.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2023, 11:51:44 AMBest of all, however, is the recent (2019) recording of the original version (the only one featuring the original, rather darker, finale) conducted by Kirill Karabits (the conductor from last Sunday) with the Bournemouth SO on Chandos (last Sunday's concert which is still available online for c.25 days on BBC Sounds was with the BBC SO). This one also features the most interesting filler - 'Grazhyna' which is arguably Lyatoshynsky's masterpiece.
I wound up getting this as an mp3 album. In trying to find information about Grazhyna (beautiful score, BTW) I read [most of] an abysmally sneering, dismissive review of the composer. None of which means a damn, but I mention it only because I wonder that reviewers can still be so blinkered and fatuous.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ultralinear

Kirill Karabits will be conducting the Bournemouth SO in a performance of Lyatoshynsky's 4th Symphony in London's Festival Hall next May 19th.  All-Ukrainian program also includes Suite from La Fleurette Rouge by Thomas de Hartmann.  Tickets go on general sale next Monday 30th Oct.

vandermolen

Many thanks for posting this.
I might try to go. I prefer the Festival Hall to the Barbican (where I heard the 3rd Symphony) as a concert venue. In the meantime I will listen to the 4th Symphony again.

ultralinear

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2023, 05:23:41 AMMany thanks for posting this.
I might try to go. I prefer the Festival Hall to the Barbican (where I heard the 3rd Symphony) as a concert venue. In the meantime I will listen to the 4th Symphony again.

Last week I heard the 2nd in Cadogan Hall - not my favourite venue - and TBH I wasn't that taken by the performance, albeit that I only know the Kuchar recording, and this was the same band (though a later incarnation with a different conductor.)

That 3rd with Karabits was in a different league.