Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Thanks! There will be a Carter birthday celebration party in Beijing. I hope to recruit more people by then!

karlhenning

Quote from: Catison on November 18, 2007, 10:23:24 PM
My fiancee likes Carter, and by that time, she'll be my wife!

Maria really enjoyed the Horn Concerto, which is a great advance from before;  she didn't care for the Symphonia when we heard that, but two mitigating considerations there are (a) it was her first experience of Carter, and (b) that was a lot of Carter for an initial hearing.  I think the interval of time, the fact that his soundworld was no longer a complete novelty to her ears, &c. . . . I was really pleased that she enjoyed the piece as much as I did.

bhodges

Joe and Karl, thanks so much for all the comments on the performance.  Sounds like another late Carter work that we'll be wanting to get to know, and I hope a recording will follow soon. 

--Bruce

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 03:53:14 AM
11 December 2008
so close to mine.....

Quote from: springrite on November 19, 2007, 03:54:57 AM
Thanks! There will be a Carter birthday celebration party in Beijing. I hope to recruit more people by then!
i'd love to come! Especially after seeing a travel video on Beijing, I've really wanted to go there  8)

who else is going?......

springrite

I know at least 3 other people will be there, namely, Mr. Liu who was the chief editor of a classical music magazine in China (was editor-in-chief of Grammophone China edition, now of a different one, maybe BBC Music?), Mr. Ouyang who was one of the people responsible for bringing about the historical Turandot performance on location in the Forbidden City, and our very own squarez, who is now back in Beijing. I am sure we can get a few other people from the classical music publications (a couple of them I know are into 20th century music -- Gubaidulina, Ligeti and Eotvos seems to be favorites) and from the Chinese Philharmonic and Beijing Philharmonic, many of the members I know from way back but have yet to contact them after my return.

karlhenning

Unfortunately a bit blurry (not that I knew that at the time, since my reading glasses were out of commission), but you must trust me that this is a shot of Elliott Carter in the aisle of Symphony Hall at the intermission of Saturday night's concert.

bhodges

Great!  Nice spontaneous shot.

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 09:10:46 AM
Unfortunately a bit blurry (not that I knew that at the time, since my reading glasses were out of commission), but you must trust me that this is a shot of Elliott Carter in the aisle of Symphony Hall at the intermission of Saturday night's concert.

Other such images have been offered as proof that Mr. Carter has been spotted at 7-Elevens near Vegas.

karlhenning

karlhenning

Well, this page seems to load via Firefox and not via Internet Explorer, but . . . .

Levine conducts Carter premiere, Haydn & Mahler

Joe Barron

Wow. I was going to say, "This guy says everything you said the other night, Karl." And then I looked at the byline ...

"Lissome and beguiling"! Love it.

Lethevich

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 09:10:46 AM

As blurry as it may be, the Wikipedia article for Carter still lacks a photo... hint hint... :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on November 20, 2007, 12:15:24 PM
Well, this page seems to load via Firefox and not via Internet Explorer, but . . . .

Congratulations, Karl, on a very well-written review.  Nice details!  I like the bit about watching Carter listening to the Mahler.

--Bruce

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on November 20, 2007, 12:15:24 PM

Excellent review, Karl! I almost feel like I was there (and wish I was)!

Spent the day listening to lots of Carter. Such joy to listen to them!

Joe Barron

New Yorkers, mark your calendars:

Elliott Carter: Clarinet Quintet (2007) 15' for clarinet and string quartet

World Premiere
29/04/2008
Peter Jay Sharp Theater, Juilliard School, New York, NY
Charles Neidich, clarinet / Juilliard String Quartet

From the Boosey Web site.

I can't miss this. April 29th is a Tuesday, but I will be there.

bhodges

Oh great, thanks for that news, Joe!  Not too shabby performers there, either.  :o

--Bruce

karlhenning

I'll have to check to see when Holy Week is;  that would be exactly the sort of occasion to make a trip Nieuw Amsterdamward!

Joe Barron

Quote from: karlhenning on November 28, 2007, 08:28:17 AM
I'll have to check to see when Holy Week is;  that would be exactly the sort of occasion to make a trip Nieuw Amsterdamward!

Karl, according to my calendar, Easter is early next year — March 23! Must be a full moon right at the equinox. The concert is a full month later. 

karlhenning

That's looking good right away.

Joe Barron

Quote from: karlhenning on November 28, 2007, 08:38:38 AMThat's looking good right away.

Oh, I see. You can't make it during Holy Week. I forgot about the church gig.

BTW, I've been re-reading the earlier pages on this thread. There's a lot of knowledge, good will and wit floating around in here. It's a nice place to hang out. Thanks to all the posters.