Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Barron

Well, "gents" is kind of stretching it.

karlhenning

Not from the behavior of you both which I have had occasion to witness.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Joe Barron on January 18, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Assuming I can get in, I will be on the lookout for tall, good-looking not-quite-gents.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

bhodges

Quote from: Joe Barron on January 18, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

How about "irascible upstarts"?  ;D

Great write-up, Joe.  (Sounds like you were in the front row...?)  I totally agree about Caténaires, which should become very popular--to those who can play it.  Interesting that Oppens didn't want to play it again...I mean, yes, it's very difficult, but she's...she's...she's Ursula Oppens!  She's supposed to play the hard stuff.  That's why we go hear her!

--Bruce

karlhenning

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: karlhenning on January 18, 2008, 10:17:23 AM
Emendation accepted  ;D

In a city of at least four million tall, good-looking, irascible upstarts, that definitely narrows it down . . . .

Joe Barron

Quote from: karlhenning on January 18, 2008, 10:07:40 AMNot from the behavior of you both which I have had occasion to witness.

You have not seen me home ... alone ... feeding ...

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on January 18, 2008, 10:20:12 AM
You have not seen me home ... alone ... feeding ...

And the good new is: Sforzando is not likely to be faced with that dire vision, either  8)

not edward

I thought you had to be an alien shapeshifter to appreciate atonal music!
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

bhodges

Actually I wouldn't have minded hearing her play just about anything, since I haven't in years.  She used to show up here a lot back in the 1980s but since she started spending some time at Northwestern University, she hasn't been here as much.  

Wouldn't it have been a kick if she had done those most recent pieces as encores...

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on January 18, 2008, 10:24:39 AMWouldn't it have been a kick if she had done those most recent pieces as encores...

New works seem to be exclusive to the musicians who commission them until enough time has gone by. I asked Oppens about Cantenaires a year ago after a recital at Curtis, and she said no one but Aimard could play it in public until 2008. Whether it's just a professional courtesy or some legal restriction, I don't know, but only Levine has played the Ma-tribute so far. I don't know whom Carter wrote the Two Thoughts for. Given what Oppens had told me, though, I wasn't expecting either of the new pieces as encores.

Bruce, I was sitting in the front row, maybe five feet from the stage, but I was dead center, and Oppens' hands were hidden from my view.   

For everyone: During intermission, I eavesdropped on an interview Carter gave to a man holding a microphone, and he confirmed he is indeed working on a flute concerto.  :D

bhodges

Quote from: Sforzando on January 18, 2008, 10:19:54 AM
In a city of at least four million tall, good-looking, irascible upstarts, that definitely narrows it down . . . .

I will stand outside the hall, holding one of those signs like drivers do when they meet passengers at the airport.

;D

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: Sforzando on January 18, 2008, 10:19:54 AM

I have to say, last night's crowd was one of the most attractive I've ever seen. As I told Bruce privately, there were a lot of pretty young people and some well-preserved intellectual-looking types about my age. I wanted to meet a few them afterward ... invite them back to my place for coffee ... and feed ... 

bhodges

Quote from: Joe Barron on January 18, 2008, 10:32:17 AM
For everyone: During intermission, I eavesdropped on an interview Carter gave to a man holding a microphone, and he confirmed he is indeed working on a flute concerto.  :D

:o  :o  :o

How many other composers have done this at 100?  (For that matter, how many composers have even reached 100?)

That is really, really something. 

--Bruce

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: bhodges on January 18, 2008, 10:38:25 AM
:o  :o  :o

How many other composers have done this at 100?  (For that matter, how many composers have even reached 100?)

Carter is only 99.

bhodges

Quote from: Sforzando on January 18, 2008, 11:06:03 AM
Carter is only 99.

Sorry, my bad--getting over-excited.  I should have said, "approaching 100."

--Bruce

(poco) Sforzando

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on January 18, 2008, 11:10:17 AM
Sorry, my bad--getting over-excited.  I should have said, "approaching 100."