Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

A continuation of the classic carter conversation center carried over to the current circumstances

Harry

In Europe he is not, at least not with me.

bhodges

Certainly the coolest 98-year-old I can think of.  Every time a piece of his is performed in New York, he shows up in the audience, and after coming onstage receives a cheering standing ovation.  He looks remarkably good, too.  We should all be so vital at that age.

Yesterday listened to his Symphony No. 1 (1942) with Paul Dunkel and the American Composers Orchestra (on CRI).  I don't recall hearing this, and it's well worth getting to know. 

--Bruce

johnQpublic

Oh please Blip, don't start a parallel thread.

By creating a new forum, we all get a fresh start to getting "it" right.  :P

bwv 1080

Hey, I said the clan was cantankerous  ;D

johnQpublic

Since I'm cantankerous, I refuse to define "IT".  :D

not edward

We could be Carter-rancorous instead. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

bwv 1080

Catison

-Brett

Joe Barron

Cartermeudgeons — yeesh! ::)

As I said, I would have prefered to open my own thread when the time was right, but apparently I missed my chance. The advantages of opening a thread myself is that giv it the name I choose (the alliteration does get rather thick), and I can lock it down when anyone gets carried away, as they did on the old board.

:'( I miss the old board. Back there I had authority. I was somebody. Hell, I was a hero.  :'(

In any event, miffed as I still am (and getting over a persistent cold), there are a few events on the Carter horizon that bear mentioning.

The premiere of the Horn Concerto in Boston this year has already been announced.

In addition, Aimard will play Catenaires in Philadelphia March 18, 2008, and the Two Diversions later in the year---November, I believe, just month before the old man's 100th birthday. Both performances courtesy of the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society.

I've also been told Vol. 8 of the Bridge label's Carter series is in the works. It's hush-hush at the moment, since it will contain some classic live performances, and negotiations for the rights are in the sensitive stages.

Joe Barron

For the sake of completeness, here are the read-only archives for the old Carter Corner and Carter Corner II.

karlhenning

Wow, a thread which ends with "No, and no, of course."

8)

karlhenning

And, Joe, if you really shake the dust of this thread off your mousepad, don't expect me to come to the Carter premiere at Symphony8)

Catison

Quote from: Joe Barron on April 09, 2007, 08:59:06 AM
I think what I will do, though, now that it's possible, is remove my old posts after a day or two, keep my total number under ten, and perpetuate my newbie status well into the future.

Carter-mudgeons ... yeesh!  ::)

And make it really hard to keep up with your threads in the future?  Good idea....
-Brett

Catison

Quote from: Joe Barron on April 09, 2007, 09:44:12 AM
Well, if you'll notice, I haven't started ay threads yet ...  ;)

Well, I meant, threads in which you participate.
-Brett

Joe Barron

My God, what have I done?

That innocent little April Fool's joke has ended up posted at Google. Have I opened a Pandora's Box? And who is this Lora Creighton?

I fear a Seinfeld moment coming on. Mr. Carter sees this. The worst happens, and I'm stuck explaining to everyone for the rest of my life, "For heaven's sake, it was a joke."

Joe Barron

Apparently, William Bolcolm also got a hold of it and forwarded it to all his friends.

How was I supposed to know she had a pony? Who leaves a country where there are ponies to come to a non-pony country?

greg

Quote from: bhodges on April 07, 2007, 09:21:14 AM
Certainly the coolest 98-year-old I can think of.  Every time a piece of his is performed in New York, he shows up in the audience, and after coming onstage receives a cheering standing ovation.  He looks remarkably good, too.  We should all be so vital at that age.

oh yeah, definetely.... at least he's not in a nursing home

Maciek

Quote from: Joe Barron on April 22, 2007, 08:14:26 AM
  My God, what have I done?

You should be happy - it just shows how well crafted the joke was (and at least for some of us - it was quite hilarious). It'll die off sooner or later anyway. Let's hope. ;)

Joe Barron

Quote from: MrOsa on April 22, 2007, 02:22:14 PM
You should be happy - it just shows how well crafted the joke was (and at least for some of us - it was quite hilarious). It'll die off sooner or later anyway. Let's hope. ;)

Thank you for the compliment. I have to say that when I recieved the email telling me the fake news story had been posted at google, I laughed out loud.

Everyone, both pro and anti-Carter people, seemed to like it— the anti-Cartites because it seemed to confirm what they've been saying all along, and the pro-Cartites because it exposed the silliness of some of the anti-Carterites' arguments.