Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Barron

Oh, so it was a joke. I'm sorry. I definitely misunderstood . I hereby apologize publicly to Steve and ask if he'll forgive me. Seriously. And I'm glad he's back. 

MN Dave

Quote from: Joe Barron on May 01, 2008, 08:51:27 AM
Oh, so it was a joke. Sorry. My bad. I always thought jokes were supposed to be funny.  :-\

You know any good jokes, Joe?

Joe Barron

Quote from: MN Brahms on May 01, 2008, 08:53:50 AM
You know any good jokes, Joe?

So, this violist walks into his oral examinations at the conservatory. For his first question, a prof asks, "Can you tell me the subdominant of F?" And the violist says, "I thought F was the subdominant."

Again, my apologies to Steve. It appears he intended his joke to be more good-natured than I believed. :-[

karlhenning

Elliott Carter, Pierre Boulez, John Cage & Elvis Costello were in a bar . . . .

Joe Barron

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2008, 08:58:42 AM
Elliott Carter, Pierre Boulez, John Cage & Elvis Costello were in a bar . . . .

And Boulez says, "Schoenberg is dead."
Carter replies, "I agree with Whitehead that existence of any kind is a kind of teleological process, in which various kinds of concrescences attain and then lose integrated patterns of feeling."
To which Cage adds, " ... "
And Costello says, "Who cares? I'm sleeping with Diana Krall."

karlhenning

Cage adds, "I'm the mozzarella sticks, thank you."

Joe Barron

Milton Babbitt, standing nearby, says, "I wasn't listening, but who cares if I do?"

karlhenning

René Leibowitz inverted a pitcher of Bud Lite, with mathematically predictable results.

Kullervo

Theodore W. Adorno proclaimed, "No beers after Auchwitz!"

springrite

John Adams says:

"Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh;
Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! Uh-ha! "

greg

Rod Corkin says:

"B"

(takes a bow)

bhodges

At the Look & Listen Festival tonight, I'm hearing more Carter, Retracing (2002) for solo bassoon, apparently excerpted from the Asko Concerto.  Have heard the Concerto but not sure I've come across the bassoon piece. 

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on May 02, 2008, 09:39:58 AM
At the Look & Listen Festival tonight, I'm hearing more Carter, Retracing (2002) for solo bassoon, apparently excerpted from the Asko Concerto.  Have heard the Concerto but not sure I've come across the bassoon piece. 

--Bruce

I haven't heard it the bassoon piece, either, but as with all other Carter, I shall eventually.

bwv 1080

Shard was the first (and only) other piece I have heard about that was an lift out of a single instrumental part from a larger piece.  Is Carter the only composer to have done this?  Can we expect a solo piano piece extracted from the Concerto for Orchestra (that would be cool)?

not edward

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 02, 2008, 10:38:13 AM
Shard was the first (and only) other piece I have heard about that was an lift out of a single instrumental part from a larger piece.  Is Carter the only composer to have done this?  Can we expect a solo piano piece extracted from the Concerto for Orchestra (that would be cool)?
I thought Shard was the original piece and Luimen incorporated it into one of its four sections?

There is a prominent bassoon solo in the Asko Concerto, so I guess that's what Carter took for Retracing (I wonder which came first).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Joe Barron

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 02, 2008, 10:38:13 AM

Oh. I think he's past lifting pieces from his earlier work. I also think Shard was composed first, and incorporated into the Luimen, rather than the other way around, but I'd have to double check that.

springrite

Quote from: Joe Barron on May 02, 2008, 10:46:11 AM
I also think Shard was composed first, and incorporated into the Luimen, rather than the other way around, but I'd have to double check that.

That's how I would have thought as well.

karlhenning

Interesting, because the title Shard seems to suggest broken remains from a prior whole . . . .

Joe Barron

On the Boosey site, the date for both Shard and Luimen is given as 1997, so it's hard to tell. Probably conceived together. The date for ASKO is 1999-2000, and Retracings is 2002, so in this case, the bigger work definitley preceeded the smaller, but I wouldn't be surprised if Carter had the solo bassoon piece in mind the whole time.

To answer BWV's question: I can't think of any other composer who has extracted a solo piece whole from a larger work, though, of course, rearrangements of existing material abound. Might make a good parlor game.  ???

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music