Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

And the Carter fun never stops!  Sandwiched in between its complete Mahler cycle with Barenboim and Boulez alternating as conductors, the Staatskapelle Berlin is doing this:

Monday, May 11, 2009, 7:30 p.m.
Zankel Hall

Daniel Barenboim, Piano
Members of the Staatskapelle Berlin
·· Gregor Witt, Oboe
·· Matthias Glander, Clarinet
·· Ignacio Gracía, Horn
·· Holger Straube, Bassoon
·· Claudius Popp, Cello
·· Torsten Schönfeld, Timpani

Carter: Cello Sonata 
Carter: Selections from Eight Pieces for Four Timpani 
Carter: Quintet for Piano and Winds

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Mark G. Simon

Joe,

Love the "Schoenberg the Sailor Man" avatar.

karlhenning

Aye, there's a composer who atesk his spinach!

Joe Barron

You guys are terrific. I was worried nobody would think of the tune.

Bin Arnold der Fahrensmann!

Joe Barron

karlhenning

bwv 1080

If anyone is curious, EC's life expectancy is another 2 years

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4c6.html

Joe Barron

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 16, 2008, 08:58:23 AM
If anyone is curious, EC's life expectancy is another 2 years

And how do we arrive at that. Cal?

bwv 1080

Quote from: Joe Barron on September 16, 2008, 09:01:52 AM
And how do we arrive at that. Cal?

Fixed the link to the mortality table above

Joe Barron

Check THIS out.

Makes me wonder when they will get around to releasing the second volume of the string quartets ...

not edward

Quote from: Joe Barron on October 01, 2008, 07:13:21 PM
Check THIS out.

Makes me wonder when they will get around to releasing the second volume of the string quartets ...
I'm wondering if these are live recordings. If so, I was in the audience for all of them. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

bwv 1080

Quote from: Joe Barron on October 01, 2008, 07:13:21 PM
Check THIS out.

that's lame- one unrecorded piece among the lot, Naxos could have done a disc purely of newer music

not edward

Quote from: bwv 1080 on October 02, 2008, 05:47:12 AM
that's lame- one unrecorded piece among the lot, Naxos could have done a disc purely of newer music
Yes, that's what makes me think it's probably a live recording. Those were exactly the pieces played when Carter came to Toronto a couple of years ago.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

Joe Barron

Quote from: bwv 1080 on October 02, 2008, 05:47:12 AM

Maybe it couldn't have. With the newer pieces, there's the question of rights and performers' privilege. First recordings are hard to do. What bugs me is that the CD seems to be so short. The four pieces together are only about thirty minutes long.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on October 02, 2008, 07:07:11 AM
Maybe it couldn't have. With the newer pieces, there's the question of rights and performers' privilege. First recordings are hard to do. What bugs me is that the CD seems to be so short. The four pieces together are only about thirty minutes long.

Oof.

Joe Barron

Quote from: karlhenning on October 02, 2008, 07:08:57 AM
Oof.

My mistake. The complete program, which can be seen farther down the page, lists several other short works as padding. And you get a DVD got the big nine-pound price. Still, BWV is right. Carter deserves better.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on October 02, 2008, 07:28:40 AM
. . . several other short works as padding.

Perhaps a gymnopédie or three?

CRCulver

Yet another recording of works by performers other than the dedicatees. Anyone know where I could find "Gra" and "Scrivo in vento" performed by the musicians Carter had in mind?

not edward

Quote from: CRCulver on October 02, 2008, 09:12:29 AM
Yet another recording of works by performers other than the dedicatees. Anyone know where I could find "Gra" and "Scrivo in vento" performed by the musicians Carter had in mind?
If the disc has the performances I think they are, Scrivo in vento is performed by the dedicatee, Robert Aikten (director of New Music Concerts).