Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on December 09, 2008, 07:47:33 AM
* PS, just found out that on Friday, Dec. 12 on The Today Show (for non-U.S. readers, a popular morning television show), Willard Scott will mention Carter's 100th birthday.  Every week Scott mentions 7 or 8 people around the country who are 100 years old or more, but I don't recall ever hearing him cite anyone of Carter's stature.

I'll bet Mr. Carter now regrest his longevity. I wonder if Willard even know who he is, or is just mentioning him because somebody told him there's aguy in New York who's turning a hundred.

bhodges

On his blog called listen (here), composer Steve Hicken has been making Carter posts in the last few days, commenting on the Carter works that he likes the best.  It's quite a good series.

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on December 09, 2008, 12:08:04 PM
On his blog called listen (here), composer Steve Hicken has been making Carter posts in the last few days, commenting on the Carter works that he likes the best.  It's quite a good series.

--Bruce

it is good, but it reads more like program notes than Steve's own impressions of the music. I'd like to hear what he has to say.

My friend Jerry Kuderna, a pianist, recently posted some thoughts of his own about Carter online, too.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on December 09, 2008, 12:27:48 PM
it is good, but it reads more like program notes than Steve's own impressions of the music. I'd like to hear what he has to say.

Quote from: Steve HickenMany readers of this blog know how important Elliott Carter's music has been to me, and as we approach the composer's 100th next week, I began thinking about which of his pieces have meant the most to me, and why. Naturally, that thinking has led to a list. So, beginning today and running through the 11th, the composer's birthday, I'll post an annotated list of the ten Carter pieces that have meant the most to me over the years. Some of them because of what I've learned from them, others because I heard them at the right time, and all of them because I just like them as music.

From this post.

Joe Barron

Quote from: Steve Hicken on December 09, 2008, 12:43:07 PM
Many readers of this blog know how important Elliott Carter's music has been to me, and as we approach the composer's 100th next week, I began thinking about which of his pieces have meant the most to me, and why. Naturally, that thinking has led to a list. So, beginning today and running through the 11th, the composer's birthday, I'll post an annotated list of the ten Carter pieces that have meant the most to me over the years. Some of them because of what I've learned from them, others because I heard them at the right time, and all of them because I just like them as music.

Yeah but that's only one brief graph and says nothing about the individual pieces. I like them all as music, too. ;)

springrite

I have found the Night Fantasy on an Ursula Oppens compilation CD. The party has been moved up to today. I am baking the birthday cake. I will report back tomorrow.

Steve Hicken

Thanks for all of the hits on my blog. It's good to find this place.

karlhenning

bhodges

Quote from: Steve Hicken on December 10, 2008, 04:34:04 AM
Thanks for all of the hits on my blog. It's good to find this place.

Hi Steve!  Welcome to GMG! 

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: Joe Barron on December 03, 2008, 07:43:24 PM
More info. The Boosey site seems to have it wrong. It's not at Avery Fisher Hall. It's at the Lincoln Center/Stanley H. Kaplan Penthouse, which sounds a lot sexier than it probably is. Here is the complete program:

Elliott Carter, composer, speaker; NY Phil Musicians

2.00pm, Saturday 13 December 2008

Film: An interview with Elliott Carter hosted by Steven Stucky
Elliott Carter: Clarinet Quintet
Elliott Carter: Figment III, for solo double bass
Elliott Carter: Poems of Louis Zukofsky for soprano and clarinet (world premiere)

If anyone in or near NY  hasn't heard the Clarinet Quintet yet, I warmly recommend it.

Well, heck, I just bit the bullet and got a ticket for this on Saturday!  It's a busy weekend, but hey, EC only turns 100 once, so might as well experience as much as possible.  If anyone else is going, P.M. me...

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Word, Steve! This place will drive you crazy ...

Joe Barron

Elliott Carter on Charlie Rose tonight? Lisa Hirsch says its true!

springrite

We had a wonderful Carter Birthday party last night!

We started with Esprit Deux (sorry if any of the spelling is not correct!), then went on to:

String Quartet #2
Night Fantasy
String Quartet #3
Clarinet Concerto
Symphonia
Cello Sonata
90+

I would have loved to play A Mirror on Which to Dwell, but we did not fit that one in.

Of course, we listened to some other music as well, including final scene of Salome, Crumb Cello Sonata, etc. The party ended about an hour past midnight (we have to because we started it a day early. It needs to end ON his birthday at least!) I was still so excited that I could not sleep. So I stayed up reading the Nadia Boulanger (Carter's teacher) biography.

All in all, a very enjoyable evening. The group decided to have gathering every 2 to 3 weeks, alternating between Music Nights (non-vocal) and Night at the Opera. (The Night at the Opera should make Effeviking <or was it Brunhilde?> very happy!)

PS: The banana nut birthday cake was delicious as well!

Mark G. Simon

Sounds like fun. I'm glad you were able to work in two clarinet works.  :)

bhodges

Quote from: springrite on December 10, 2008, 08:05:45 PM
We had a wonderful Carter Birthday party last night!

We started with Esprit Deux (sorry if any of the spelling is not correct!), then went on to:

String Quartet #2
Night Fantasy
String Quartet #3
Clarinet Concerto
Symphonia
Cello Sonata
90+

I would have loved to play A Mirror on Which to Dwell, but we did not fit that one in.

Of course, we listened to some other music as well, including final scene of Salome, Crumb Cello Sonata, etc. The party ended about an hour past midnight (we have to because we started it a day early. It needs to end ON his birthday at least!) I was still so excited that I could not sleep. So I stayed up reading the Nadia Boulanger (Carter's teacher) biography.

All in all, a very enjoyable evening. The group decided to have gathering every 2 to 3 weeks, alternating between Music Nights (non-vocal) and Night at the Opera. (The Night at the Opera should make Effeviking <or was it Brunhilde?> very happy!)

PS: The banana nut birthday cake was delicious as well!

Sounds like a swell party!  Like the mix, adding Richard Strauss and Crumb...and how great that it spawned future get-togethers. 

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Nice radio portrait of Mr. Carter here. I recognize the recording of the Variations used. It's the Prausnitz version with the New Philharmonia Orchestra, and I know this because somebody coughs near the end.

Paul, you get together sounded wonderful, but I'm confused. Just what is this Cello Sonata by Crumb of which you speak? I didn't know he ever wrote anything called a "sonata."

Happy Carter Day to the world!

springrite

Quote from: Joe Barron on December 11, 2008, 07:50:26 AM

Paul, you get together sounded wonderful, but I'm confused. Just what is this Cello Sonata by Crumb of which you speak? I didn't know he ever wrote anything called a "sonata."

After the Ancient Voice of Children and Microkosmos, it is probably one of Crumb's most famous and most frequently performed and recorded pieces. I have no less than 4 recordings of it and have attended about the same number of performances.

Joe Barron

Quote from: springrite on December 11, 2008, 07:55:14 AM
After the Ancient Voice of Children and Microkosmos, it is probably one of Crumb's most famous and most frequently performed and recorded pieces.

I'm feeling really dull here. Are we talking about Voice of the Whale?

springrite

Quote from: Joe Barron on December 11, 2008, 08:11:40 AM
I'm feeling really dull here. Are we talking about Voice of the Whale?

No, it is the smaller four-legged kind.

Joe Barron

And, of course, from the geriatric point of view.