Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

I have to admit: I wish I had loaded some Carter onto my Sansa Fuze!

Next time!

Guido

On this entry of the Alex Ross' blog it says that the library of congress has got pages of Carter's first string quartet and the cello sonata online. I can't seem to find the place on the site he links to, nor on the library of congress site itself. Hmm. http://www.therestisnoise.com/2008/12/dancing-on-the.html

Can anyone else work it out?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2008, 04:33:30 PM
I have to admit: I wish I had loaded some Carter onto my Sansa Fuze!

Next time!

I thought you were talking about a fancy sofa, and then I realized that you meant your mp3 player! :D

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: Guido on December 29, 2008, 08:30:50 AM
On this entry of the Alex Ross' blog it says that the library of congress has got pages of Carter's first string quartet and the cello sonata online. I can't seem to find the place on the site he links to, nor on the library of congress site itself. Hmm. http://www.therestisnoise.com/2008/12/dancing-on-the.html

Can anyone else work it out?

From Ross' site, click the link on the text "hundreds of pages of sketches" and that will take you to a page on LC's website called "the way it goes along, a tribute to Elliott Carter". On the left side of this page is a box labeled "see also" and it has links to the sketches of the cello sonata and 1st string quartet.

karlhenning

Guido

Geologist.

Joe Barron

Alex Ross has areview of the Carter centenary in this week's New Yorker. Not a very insightful or even interesting article, but I am mentioned:

"Once 'Interventions' began, the novelty of Carter's longevity receded, and the music became the most interesting thing. Since the early nineties, Carter has backed away from the extreme density that marked his scores of previous decades. He has by no means disavowed atonality, as an Internet hoax proposed. (It had convinced composers in China, I discovered on a visit to Beijing last year.)"

Mark G. Simon

Interview with Carter in German published in Das Magazin. The journalist who interviewed him was seen spending a lot of time with Carter after the Saturday concert on Dec. 13. I was photographing Carter and the journalist happened to be in the picture. He later spoke to me and gave me the link to the article:

http://dasmagazin.ch/index.php/und-was-jetzt/

(What he'd probably really like is the picture I took of him with Carter. I ought to send it to him).

Joe Barron

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on December 29, 2008, 07:17:09 PM
Interview with Carter in German published in Das Magazin. The journalist who interviewed him was seen spending a lot of time with Carter after the Saturday concert on Dec. 13. I was photographing Carter and the journalist happened to be in the picture. He later spoke to me and gave me the link to the article:

http://dasmagazin.ch/index.php/und-was-jetzt/

(What he'd probably really like is the picture I took of him with Carter. I ought to send it to him).

Thanks, Mark. it might take me a little while to read this, but I'll get to it.

Joe Barron

Here is a wide ranging and very fun piece on Mr. Carter in, of all places, The National Review.

not edward

Good news for Carter fans: the Pacifica recording of the remaining quartets (2, 3 and 4) is to be issued in February.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

bhodges

Hearing more Carter tomorrow night:

January 15, 2009
Merkin Concert Hall
Da Capo Chamber Players
Guest artists:
Lucy Shelton, soprano
Robert Ingliss, oboe

Elliott Carter: Tempo e tempi
Elliott Carter: Enchanted Preludes
Elliott Carter: Four Zukovsky Songs
Elliott Carter: Esprit rude/Esprit doux
Pierre Boulez: Sonatine
Olivier Messiaen: Quatuor pour la fin du temps

--Bruce

Wendell_E

Quote from: edward on January 13, 2009, 09:41:45 AM
Good news for Carter fans: the Pacifica recording of the remaining quartets (2, 3 and 4) is to be issued in February.

And it's now available for pre-order: http://www.amazon.com/Elliot-Carter-String-Quartets-Nos/dp/B001NZA04M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232538585&sr=1-2
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Lilas Pastia

Just purchased a disc which contains Carter's cello sonata , only to realize I already had it (Rohan de Saram). Well, it becomes mandatory to compare the two. No need to add I hadn't listened to it in a while  ::)

Peregrine

Quote from: edward on January 13, 2009, 09:41:45 AM

Excellent, the first disc they did was a real winner, really looking forward to the next one...
Yes, we have no bananas

karlhenning

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 22, 2009, 07:13:56 PM
Just purchased a disc which contains Carter's cello sonata , only to realize I already had it (Rohan de Saram). Well, it becomes mandatory to compare the two. No need to add I hadn't listened to it in a while  ::)

The Cello Sonata is a work which, I think, you will not mind having more than one copy of, André!

(Funny how often Hopper's Night Hawks turns up . . . .)

Lilas Pastia

Thanks, Karl ! reacquainting myself with Carter's music after a long hiatus is one of my priorities!

Guido

Hi Lilas - I have never seen that CD before, but I would be very curious to hear what the Copland was - he never composed anything for the instrument himself, so I wonder what this is a transcription of. Similarly for the Gerwshin, though I'm going to guess its the three preludes for piano transcribed for violin, arranged for cello!
Geologist.

Lilas Pastia

Hello, Guido, here's a content list of that  disc:

- Copland: Waltz and Celebration from 'Billy the Kid'  (arr'd by composer for cello and piano)
- Ernest Bloch: 'From Jewish Life' : Three Songs
- Lukas Foss: 'Capriccio'
- Gershwin: 'Short Story' (from what I've gathered it was a violin-piano work)
- Carter: Cello Sonata
- Barber: Sonata for cello and piano, op. 6

Soloists are Tanya Prochazka and Stephane Lemelin