Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Thanks, Joe.  I guess the non-necessity of that gimmick is a given, but it didn't bother me.

Noticing a peculiarity here, I noted it there.

Joe Barron

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 07:49:05 AMNoticing a peculiarity here, I noted it there.

Oh, I see. It was trick question.

Boosey gives the pub date of Rhapsdic Musings as 2001, so 2000 seems the a more likely composition date.

bhodges

Just today discovered Carter's Violin Concerto (1990), and can already tell it will become one of my favorites of his output.  The performance is electrifying: Rolf Schulte, with Justin Brown and the Odense Symphony Orchestra (on Bridge).  I realize I have a second performance of the piece I haven't listened to yet, with Ole Böhn, Oliver Knussen and the London Sinfonietta, on an EMI reissue that I got for the Concerto for Orchestra.

Any comments comparing the two performances of the Violin Concerto?  (Apologies if this has already been discussed.) 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Argh, the Knussen recording of the Vn Cto, Bruce, is a disc I let go once on a time.  I remember lliking the Concerto, though.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on March 06, 2009, 07:38:40 AM
I'd say the Second is mine. The Fourth is great, too, I think, but for some reason it gets overlooked, at least in terms of critical opinion. It's not the breaktrough that either the First or Second is, it's not as witty and approachable as the Fifth, and it's not as extreme and extroverted as the Third (which, in David Schiff's phrase, has become something of a crowd pleaser). It also seems to be regarded as the most difficult, even though it has the most sustained, closely argued, single-mood movements of any of the quartets besides the First, a beautiful adagio, and an unforgettable ending.

Reminds me that I need to spend more time with the second Pacifica Quartet disc.

karlhenning

Just would like to thank Bruce (again) for putting the Labyrinth of Time DVD on my radar.

Joe Barron

Another request for a performance comparison. Oh, dear God, no.

karlhenning

Gnarlier in Carter's case, if anything  ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Bahamut on April 24, 2007, 11:05:55 AM
maybe God is just keeping Elliott Carter alive so long to make up for his unforgivable atonal sins  :o

Had to repeat this joke, though there are some here who will take it for Gospel  0:) ;D

Joe Barron

Quote from: Bahamut on April 24, 2007, 11:05:55 AMmaybe God is just keeping Elliott Carter alive so long to make up for his unforgivable atonal sins  :o

Well, if the sins are unforgivable, there can be no making up for them, can there?

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on June 01, 2009, 07:00:13 AM
Well, if the sins are unforgivable, there can be no making up for them, can there?

Right, the only questions are how soon the punishment starts, and with what severity . . . .

Joe Barron

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 01, 2009, 07:03:42 AM
Right, the only questions are how soon the punishment starts, and with what severity . . . .

Christianity is such a beautiful religion ...  0:)

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on June 01, 2009, 07:12:47 AM
Christianity is such a beautiful religion ...  0:)

It is; the religion under advisement is The One True Tonality, though  0:)

Catison

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 01, 2009, 07:14:06 AM
It is; the religion under advisement is The One True Tonality, though  0:)

Atonal and atonement are such close words.
-Brett

Joe Barron

Quote from: Catison on June 04, 2009, 12:13:55 AM
Atonal and atonement are such close words.

And both apparently involve some form of blood sacrifice ...

karlhenning

Can't leave this thread dangling from that last post . . . .

Joe Barron

Well, Karl, it appears there are some nonmusical matters we don't agree on. But I still love ya, bro.  ;)

karlhenning

bobby quine

Did anyone else happen to see the Berlin Philharmonic with Emmanuel Pahud perform Carter's Flute Concerto Saturday night?! Barenboim conducted. (It was the last concert of the season being broadcasted by the "Digital Concert Hall", and will probably show up any day now in their archive).

I quite liked it - typical Carter, with some surprisingly lyrical passages thrown in.

bhodges

Quote from: bobby quine on June 14, 2009, 01:36:09 PM
Did anyone else happen to see the Berlin Philharmonic with Emmanuel Pahud perform Carter's Flute Concerto Saturday night?! Barenboim conducted. (It was the last concert of the season being broadcasted by the "Digital Concert Hall", and will probably show up any day now in their archive).

I quite liked it - typical Carter, with some surprisingly lyrical passages thrown in.

I didn't hear it, but appreciate the reminder to do so online.  (And Pahud is worth hearing in anything.)  Amazing that Carter is continuing to work--at 100 years old--and turning out excellent work, to boot. 

Thanks!

--Bruce