Complete Symphony Boxsets

Started by Solitary Wanderer, May 11, 2007, 01:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

I'm going to start collecting Complete Symphony Boxsets.

I've selected these so far to start purchasing.

I invite your comments on these and other sets I might consider  :)

Franz Schubert: 8 Symphonies and Rosamunde/Grand Duo Abbado DG

Bruckner: The Symphonies Haitink Phillips

Mahler 10 Symphonies Rafael Kubelik DG

and

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

karlhenning

I would suggest rather than the Chandos.

And rather than Ashkenazy.

Harry

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 11, 2007, 01:03:23 PM
I'm going to start collecting Complete Symphony Boxsets.

I've selected these so far to start purchasing.

I invite your comments on these and other sets I might consider  :)

Franz Schubert: 8 Symphonies and Rosamunde/Grand Duo Abbado DG

Bruckner: The Symphonies Haitink Phillips

Mahler 10 Symphonies Rafael Kubelik DG

and

The Tchaikovsky is recommended with caution.
The Dvorak is very good, but I prefer Kubelik.
The Sibelius I think problematic, better opt for Vanska on BIS.
The other images are to small for me!
Bruckner, is of course Karajan, without doubt.
Mahler is served well by Tennstedt.
Schubert has a strong advocate in Marriner on Philips.

Well Prokofiev, Ozawa will do, but also contemplate Gergiev's cycle.
But Jarvi on Chandos has its merits too.

Todd

For Dvorak, I'd recommend Kubelik.  For Sibelius, I actually rather like the Ashkenazy, but I like Bernstein's CBS/Sony set better.  For Bruckner, I say go with Jochum (either EMI or DG, doesn't really matter) over Haitink.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Solitary Wanderer

Well I did ask  ;)

I think I'll do an, unofficial, poll and see which sets get the most recs.

I've seen many options online but these are the recommendations from The Rough Guide to Classical Music which I've used as my starting point.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Don

The Tchaikovsky boxset from Muti on Brilliant Classics is a winner, also having an exceptional Manfred.

So far, I haven't seen a boxset on this thread not worthy of acquisition.

stingo

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: stingo on May 11, 2007, 01:38:57 PM
I'd suggest this one:

I've already got this one:

Haydn ~ 29 Name Symphonies

which will do as far as Haydn is concerned for the moment  :)

Don

It's a shame that there aren't any boxsets of Verdi's symphonies.

Bogey

A Beethoven "run" may be something to look at down the road.  I apprenticed under jwinter and have these to suggest:

And, though not complete:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Daverz

I prefer this set over the older Neumann.  Rather amazing the warm sound that Thomson gets out of the Scottish orchestra, which I always thought of as a rather cool and lean sounding orchestra from all those Järvi recordings.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Bogey on May 11, 2007, 02:20:37 PM
A Beethoven "run" may be something to look at down the road.  I apprenticed under jwinter and have these to suggest:

And, though not complete:

Haven't heard the Furt but the other two no serious Beethoven fan should be without.

Solitary Wanderer

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jwinter

Quote from: Bogey on May 11, 2007, 02:20:37 PM
A Beethoven "run" may be something to look at down the road.  I apprenticed under jwinter ...

Cool, I always wanted an apprentice!  Just keep hitting that block with your head, Grasshopper...  ;D

As for the sets, I agree with Don that I haven't seen any bad ones listed yet.  Like others above, if I had to boil it down to one set I'd personally go with Blomstedt for Sibelius (Ashkenazy is good but rather too well-upholstered for Sibelius I think), Kubelik for Dvorak, Gergiev for Prokofiev.  I like Haitink's Shostakovich a lot.  His Bruckner is very solid too, quite enjoyable but here you can do much better IMO -- consider Skrowaczewski, Jochum, or Karajan.  Muti's Tchaikovsky on Brilliant is a very worthy purchase I think; I've also really enjoyed a set with Svetlanov that I picked up at BRO a while back, although the sound is a little crude in comparison.  There are so many good Mahler sets now that it's hard to make a standard rec -- the Kubelik will certainly serve you well, though consider Bertini or Chailly for modern sound.

How about Brahms?  If you like Haitink, I think his recent LSO live set is quite under-rated, I really enjoy it.  But there are so many good choices... Sanderling, Szell, and Bohm are safe and cheap.

Oh, and some Bohm Mozart naturally, at least 35-41 if you don't want the whole shebang.

Hope that helps!  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

SonicMan46

SW - excellent topic for a thread - seems like you're already receiving some recommendations of 'box sets' that you already own - might want to provide a list of composers that you have in your collection currently and need no further advice - then we can concentrate on the ones you're considering:

Concerning Dvorak, I own two complete sets - the Kertesz, which is often highly recommended - recordings from the '60s - not sure you can go wrong w/ this set, esp. if available at a great price (got my set from the BMG Music Club); also own the Suitner set shown below - a bargin.

Nielsen - will have to agree w/ Karl on the Blomstedt set w/ the San Fran SO - good double Decca bargins - excellent reviews; but, looking for another set, so still open to suggestions.

I'll have some more suggestions later, but looking forward to further posts -  :)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on May 11, 2007, 04:34:45 PM
SW - excellent topic for a thread

Nielsen - will have to agree w/ Karl on the Blomstedt set w/ the San Fran SO - good double Decca bargins - excellent reviews; but, looking for another set, so still open to suggestions.

I have that Nielsen set. 2 x 2cd sets. Its excellent.

Apart from the Karajan/Beethoven Complete Symp set, I only have the Haydn 29 Name Symphonies so...

...I'm looking to collect all the 'big names' for starters  :)

Lots of good info so far. Thanks everyone  :)

hornteacher

May I suggest Mackerras' Brahms Symphony Cycle.  Its marvellously researched, performed with Brahms' original instrumentation, is in wonderful DDD sound, includes fantastically detailed liner notes, and was nominated for three Grammys!  His Mozart Cycle is awesome too.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=10241

Daverz

Nothing is less than excellent here, and this orchestra has a warm, bronzen sound on these recordings.