Complete Symphony Boxsets

Started by Solitary Wanderer, May 11, 2007, 01:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Daverz on May 13, 2007, 10:06:56 PM
I actually think much more highly of Bruckner's 0-2 (0 was actually finished after 1) than of Dvorak's first three.  I don't think they are mere lagniappes in a Bruckner symphony box, but fully formed Bruckner symphonies, whereas the Dvorak works seem sort of half-baked at best to me.

I think you meant 2, 3 and 12.  1 is certainly one of Shostakovich's best symphonies.  I'd actually start there.

I totally agree with your assessment on Bruckner's early symphonies vs Dvorak's. But to many, they're not works of the first rank. Some serious music lovers will never explore them. Some will have gone through every Schumann piano piece, or Bach cantata, or Verdi's early operas, but won't feel any compulsion to listen to early Bruckner.

Inccidentally, I have a disc on the Lagniappe label! :D

beclemund

Speaking of Naxos boxes, Tintner's Bruckner cycle is quite enjoyable and generally you'll find very different versions being played in that set versus others. If you listen to music through your PC or a DAP (iPod, Zune, etc.), you can even get the whole cycle for around $9 from emusic. The 3rd (the finest in the cycle) is curiously absent, however, so you'll have to find that one elsewhere. But the cycle includes the nullte (0) and the student symphony (00). It makes a nice compliment to the Wand, Karajan or Jochum sets.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Don on May 14, 2007, 06:02:35 AM
Why would a box set of the Haydn symphonies be indispensable?

Of course it's not. But if you want them all, then it is.

Que

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on May 14, 2007, 09:45:50 AM
Of course it's not. But if you want them all, then it is.

And I don't know a complete Haydn symphonies set I would want.

Q

karlhenning

Well, even if you figure you only want 80 or 90 of them, in practical terms, one wants the complete set.

Papy Oli

I really like Bertini's Mahler Boxset   :)
Olivier

Don

Quote from: Que on May 14, 2007, 10:21:13 AM

Q

You know, I've never had any interest in owning every Haydn symphony.  I suppose that's a sign that Haydn's symphonies aren't a big turn-on for me.

Bunny

Q

The Fischer is good, probably the best complete cycle even if the London symphonies from the set are not as good as the ones recorded later.  Who knows, maybe he will be inspired to re-record them one fine day.  The only other alternative is the Dorati cycle and that's become rather expensive.  I keep hoping Harnoncourt will keep working on them.  I wouldn't even mind a box set with his HIP and conventional orchestra performances.  He is one of the most natural Haydn interpreters around. 

Now I am waiting for Thomas Fey to complete the cycle -- Volume 8 is about to be released -- with a hybrid orchestra that sounds HIP, even though it's not.  I have been buying the volumes as they are released and I haven't been disappointed yet.   

I'd also like to see the Gottfried von der Goeltz and the Freiburger Barockorchester produce a complete HIP cycle as well.  Their recording of 6,7 and 8 was wonderful.  Hopefully, more are on the way.

anasazi

I don't have a lot of complete sets, but the ones I do own were because of an affinity I discovered for many of a certain label or conductors recordings.  It's always nice to supplement complete sets with a few other recordings, but that probably depends on your tolerance for the composer.  In any case:

Mahler Symphonies: Solti & Chicago on London
Bruckner Symphonies: Haitink & Concertgebouw on Philips
Schumann Symphonies: Bernstein & New York Philharmonic on Sony
Vaughan Williams Symphonies: Previn & London Symphony on RCA (BMG)
Tchaikovsky Symphonies: the same Jansons set on Chandos that you have.
Sibelius Symphonies: Bernstein & New York Philharmonic on Sony

Bunny

Q

How about Hogwood's, if he had finished it?

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

How about Haydn's own, if he had lived in the recording era?  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bunny on May 13, 2007, 04:35:28 PM
The Hogwood is well worth the price of admission,..... If you have patience, Immerseel is working on a cycle with the Anima Eterna Orchestra to be released in 2008.  The other HIP Beethoven cycle that I know of is the Brüggen on Philips, but it's not that readily available and the prices are very high. 

Well, still 'exploring' a HIP Beethoven Symphony cycle - a couple more to consider would be John Elliot Gardiner and Roy Goodman - both receiving excellent reviews from the Amazonians; I have both of these conductors in other performances and enjoy them - really like Goodman and his set can be obtained for just $20+ on the Amazon Marketplace - so any comments about these (or other) HIP cycles?  Thanks, all -  :D

Que

Quote from: karlhenning on May 16, 2007, 04:51:20 AM
How about Haydn's own, if he had lived in the recording era?  8)

I'm willing to settle for Weil, Kuijken or Harnoncourt...  ;D

Q