Cortot's Chopin Etudes

Started by Zhiliang, July 16, 2008, 06:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhiliang

Hi,

Would like to ask, what is the difference between the different versions of Cortot's Chopin etudes?

Actually, which one would be the recommended one to get?

Thanks

Dancing Divertimentian

Generally with Cortot the earlier you catch him in his career the better.

Never a note-perfect performer anyway, as he aged the wrong notes became more numerous and consequently many folks criticized him as being 'sloppy' or 'lax'. I generally don't agree as his poetic acumen and seamless, flowing lines more than compensate for any technical shortcomings. But many don't feel that way.

I'm not sure how many versions of the Etudes Cortot recorded but if there is more than one I'd probably opt for the earlier set, just to hear him on top form.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Zhiliang

Quote from: donwyn on July 17, 2008, 06:36:59 AM

Never a note-perfect performer anyway, as he aged the wrong notes became more numerous and consequently many folks criticized him as being 'sloppy' or 'lax'. I generally don't agree as his poetic acumen and seamless, flowing lines more than compensate for any technical shortcomings. But many don't feel that way.

I'm not sure how many versions of the Etudes Cortot recorded but if there is more than one I'd probably opt for the earlier set, just to hear him on top form.

Thanks Donwyn for your recommendations. Think someone once mentioned that his wrong notes are better than other's correct ones....

ezodisy

Quote from: donwyn on July 17, 2008, 06:36:59 AM

how is it that you can write so well about one pianist but not about that other one? ;)

ezodisy

Quote from: Zhiliang on July 17, 2008, 10:25:52 AM
Think someone once mentioned that his wrong notes are better than other's correct ones....

Most likely. Cortot's poetic facility came across just as well in his talks and writings on music. He said some very memorable things, such as about Chopin, calling the 16th prelude a ride to the abyss and the 24th: blood, passion and death.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CEED91638F931A25751C1A965958260

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: ezodisy on July 17, 2008, 10:26:43 AM
how is it that you can write so well about one pianist but not about that other one? ;)

Well, I thank you for the compliment but you'll have to be more precise with your stab as I'm not sure what you mean...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ezodisy

Quote from: donwyn on July 17, 2008, 07:35:30 PM
Well, I thank you for the compliment but you'll have to be more precise with your stab as I'm not sure what you mean...

Anyone know if Cortot's Schumann recordings are available? I used to have one or two Pearl discs which contained most or all of them (or the earliest ones perhaps). They were excellent but I think OOP now

rubio

Quote from: ezodisy on July 18, 2008, 10:10:33 AM
Anyone know if Cortot's Schumann recordings are available? I used to have one or two Pearl discs which contained most or all of them (or the earliest ones perhaps). They were excellent but I think OOP now

The first volume is at least readily available. In which Schumann works do you think Cortot was at his most succesfull?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Drasko

Quote from: Zhiliang on July 16, 2008, 06:15:03 PM
Actually, which one would be the recommended one to get?

Buy this and you get both sets of etudes, then figure out which you like better.

Peregrine

I've got this set on M&A:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plays-Schumann-IMPORT/dp/B00004X0LP/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1216458364&sr=11-1
Yes, we have no bananas

Renfield

Quote from: Drasko on July 18, 2008, 12:23:20 PM
Buy this and you get both sets of etudes, then figure out which you like better.

How's the remastering here, Drasko?

I'm particularly interested in it in comparison to the 5 volumes (6 if you count the encore disc) of Cortot's solo Chopin in the Naxos catalogue, of which I have one: do I go for the other four and skip on the second set of the Études and a few other pieces, or do I just get this box set?

ezodisy

Thanks for that (William Schuman). When I bought those Pearl discs I was just about to move and didn't listen to them as much as I'd like to so I will probably buy this from M&A. I recall the Davidsbundlertanze was engrossing and the Carnaval really good, don't remember the rest.

Drasko

Quote from: Renfield on July 19, 2008, 01:48:46 AM
How's the remastering here, Drasko?

I'm particularly interested in it in comparison to the 5 volumes (6 if you count the encore disc) of Cortot's solo Chopin in the Naxos catalogue,

Apart from '33 Etudes and some solo pieces Naxos and EMI are different recordings, and I haven't heard any of the Naxos discs yet.
EMI transfers are bit more filtered than I would like and there is probably some loss in warmth but I find them acceptable.
What Naxos disc you already have? If there are some same pieces as on EMI I could upload them for comparison.

Drasko

Quote from: ezodisy on July 19, 2008, 04:34:12 AM
Thanks for that (William Schuman). When I bought those Pearl discs I was just about to move and didn't listen to them as much as I'd like to so I will probably buy this from M&A. I recall the Davidsbundlertanze was engrossing and the Carnaval really good, don't remember the rest.

I have Pearl vol.I and Davidsbundlertanze is indeed superb. Vol.II went out of print before I got it >:(

Dancing Divertimentian

That all-Schumann set on Andante includes a couple of Cortot recordings: Papillons (1935) and the Symphonic Etudes (1929), plus one short piece from Waldszenen.

Transfers are very nicely done.

Renfield

Quote from: Drasko on July 19, 2008, 04:34:46 AM
Apart from '33 Etudes and some solo pieces Naxos and EMI are different recordings, and I haven't heard any of the Naxos discs yet.
EMI transfers are bit more filtered than I would like and there is probably some loss in warmth but I find them acceptable.
What Naxos disc you already have? If there are some same pieces as on EMI I could upload them for comparison.

Had he really recorded that much? I'm slightly astonished: though of course, it was Cortot.

The Naxos I own is this one:

And I also have the recent EMI remastering of the Preludes, etc.:

(That's about all the Cortot I have. :P)

Que

I have this issue of the etudes ('30s recording), transfer is excellent, as is the playing.
Cortot's Schumann is marvelous IMO.

Fryderyk Chopin:
Etudes (12) for piano, Op. 10, CT. 14-25
Etudes (12) for piano, Op. 25, CT. 26-37

Franz Liszt:
Hungarian Rhapsody, for orchestra No. 2 in C sharp minor (after piano No. 12), S. 359/2 (LW G21/2)
Hungarian Rhapsody, for piano No. 11 in A minor, S. 244/11 (LW A132/11)
Rigoletto-transcription

Maurice Ravel: Jeux d'eau, for piano

Robert Schumann:
Symphonic Etudes ("Etudes in the form of variations") for piano (2 versions), Op. 13
Carnaval for piano, Op. 9
Kreisleriana, 8 fantasies for piano, Op. 16

Q

Drasko

Quote from: Renfield on July 19, 2008, 06:01:02 PM
Had he really recorded that much? I'm slightly astonished: though of course, it was Cortot.

The Naxos I own is this one:

And I also have the recent EMI remastering of the Preludes, etc.:

Since you already have those two the sane way of proceeding with Cortot's Chopin would be in my opinion to get the three Naxos discs which would complete 'the cycle' repertoire wise (Ballades, Waltzes, '33 Etudes) rather than buying more expensive EMI 6CD set and gettting some overlap.
Get to know it first, see if you like it and then perhaps later think about multiple recordings.

Anyhow, that Naxos disc you linked has the same Polonaise op.53 and two of the Chopin/Liszt Polish songs as EMI set, so I'll upload those later, for comparison.

Renfield

Quote from: Drasko on July 20, 2008, 03:37:04 AM
Since you already have those two the sane way of proceeding with Cortot's Chopin would be in my opinion to get the three Naxos discs which would complete 'the cycle' repertoire wise (Ballades, Waltzes, '33 Etudes) rather than buying more expensive EMI 6CD set and gettting some overlap.
Get to know it first, see if you like it and then perhaps later think about multiple recordings.

This strongly mirrors my own thoughts on the issue. (And thanks in advance for the upload! :))

Drasko

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2n0j3dhyqd

Polonaise in E flat, op.53 'Heroic' (1933)
Chopin/Liszt - Wiosna
Chopin/Liszt - Pierscien (both 1939)

Cortot from EMI set, 256 kbps mp3