Margaret Price

Started by Sean, May 11, 2007, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I admire her for her sensitivity yet clarity and level headedness: great recordings include her Isolde with Kleiber and the inspired Schubert disc in Graham Johnsons's survey; also I used to have a characteristic and individual Schubert lieder LP from the start of her career with Brymer in Shepherd on the rock.

Tsaraslondon

I heard her in concert a couple of times - a wonderful Lieder recital at Covent Garden once, and in the Verdi Requiem at Covent Garden. She had an exceptionally beautiful voice, which seemed effortless. It was quite a big voice too, though evidently she fell flat on her face when she attempted Norma at Covent Garden. A case of the wrong voice and temperament for that opera. I did have a French recital on LP, which was very beautiful, though Duparc's gorgeous Chanson Triste was taken at an unconscionably slow pace.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

DevRose

Her Mozart opera and concert arias recital disc really shows off how pristine and beautiful her voice is. Her incisive Live at Wigmore Hall disc is also quite beautiful. I wish that I had gotten to see her live.
"Do not be alarmed." --Stravinsky

knight66

I heard her several times and was in choir when she was the soprano soloists several times. She fascinated us as her breath control was so very good and she could always be heard perfectly, yet never forced her voice. In recital, I thought she was a bit cool, but with colleagues around her, I thought her performances were more alive and full of energy.

On disc, my favourite is a recital of French and Spanish songs on Orfeo. The voice is so flexible and responsive to the words. In Opera, Her singing in Otello or Un Ballo is hard to beat.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: knight on May 14, 2007, 08:17:00 AM

On disc, my favourite is a recital of French and Spanish songs on Orfeo. The voice is so flexible and responsive to the words. In Opera, Her singing in Otello or Un Ballo is hard to beat.

Mike

That French/Spanish disc is the one I used to have on LP. I always meant to replace it on CD, as the singing is quite gorgeous, though I never quite got round to it. I agree that her Desdemona and Amelia are very good, though she never quite convinces me that hers is the right voice for the roles, as do, say, Tebaldi, Freni and Scotto in the former, and Callas, Leontyne Price and Arroyo in the latter.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas