Composers of the 2Oct so odd people perceived them as space aliens?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, December 16, 2019, 04:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Ever heard a composer work and said to your self the music is good but so darn odd, like the man that did this is not just a man but a space alien decoy infiltrator, you get the point, like per.se instead or harmony they choose organize chaos and noise, music that make no sense, because it's so odd?

What are the biggest odd balls dead or still living, that made music so darn strange, music you don't get but acknowledge talent and skills of composer, music that not straight forward catchy, music made nowadays that sound like neo-futurism, something we are not yet ready for, music only few on this planet understand or like.

Imagine professor Tournesol of Tintin like a mad scientist tht experiment whit space and time, do totally f*ckt up orchestration, what is the purpose of this post, well think Helios Creed of (experimental rock band of california Chrome) sound like music of the future even today I.e song : in a dream,  they dont and never sounded there era, to a point when I though are these dude space aliens visitor(joking but). They most be Classical Composer like this?

p.s for the record I really like Chrome bold audacity in searching for a specific sounds timeless some of there song could have been made in 2020 yet there an old band now).

Carlo Gesualdo

What I mean is music so strange you actually wonder if ,this is the work of a human?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 16, 2019, 04:42:00 PM
What I mean is music so strange you actually wonder if ,this is the work of a human?

Ah, hmm...I'll have to think about this one.

steve ridgway

I do like Chrome's Red Exposure, Blood On The Moon, Third From The Sun, Chronicles albums but haven't found so much classical weirdness yet. You might enjoy some of the electroacoustic music included within "classical" such as Iannis Xenakis and Pierre Henry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUT5hONK7Bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxVuyTl3bY8

Mandryka

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 16, 2019, 04:35:08 PM
Ever heard a composer work and said to your self the music is good but so darn odd, like the man that did this is not just a man but a space alien decoy infiltrator, you get the point, like per.se instead or harmony they choose organize chaos and noise, music that make no sense, because it's so odd?

What are the biggest odd balls dead or still living, that made music so darn strange, music you don't get but acknowledge talent and skills of composer, music that not straight forward catchy, music made nowadays that sound like neo-futurism, something we are not yet ready for, music only few on this planet understand or like.

Imagine professor Tournesol of Tintin like a mad scientist tht experiment whit space and time, do totally f*ckt up orchestration, what is the purpose of this post, well think Helios Creed of (experimental rock band of california Chrome) sound like music of the future even today I.e song : in a dream,  they dont and never sounded there era, to a point when I though are these dude space aliens visitor(joking but). They most be Classical Composer like this?

p.s for the record I really like Chrome bold audacity in searching for a specific sounds timeless some of there song could have been made in 2020 yet there an old band now).

Hans Joachim Hespos. John Cage's Music of Changes type music.

Some people think that the pursuit of strangeness in the second half of the c20 came from the desire to purge all music of anything which could in any way, however remotely, be connected with the values which gave rise to the third Reich. Someone said to me once that even today, if you go to the big German avant garde music festivals, people still talk like this, that music will be booed and criticised as Nazi if it smacks of anything pre war.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Biffo

In his late wind concertos Carl Nielsen wanted to write 'music from another planet' . With their spare textures they are definitely unusual but still recognisably of human origin.

Karlheinz Stockhausen claimed to be from Alpha Centauri but I think he was just loopy.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on December 16, 2019, 09:32:19 PM
Some people think that the pursuit of strangeness in the second half of the c20 came from the desire to purge all music of anything which could in any way, however remotely, be connected with the values which gave rise to the third Reich.

That's interesting, I have read exactly the same in books about the 1970s German experimental rock known as "kosmische musik" or "krautrock". No shortage of strange music there.

Maestro267

DaveF

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 20, 2019, 01:40:47 AM
Composers of the 2nd of October?  :P

Kenneth Leighton, born 2nd October 1929 in that other-worldly place Wakefield.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison