With Classical Recording Dead...

Started by dtwilbanks, May 11, 2007, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu

Quote from: Two-Tone on December 18, 2008, 09:12:11 AM
The thoughtful & moderate expression of opinion by bhodges, Dundonnell and Superhorn are a welcome inducement to just ignore the all-too-usual internet sleeze, prefered by others...

I too wish I could find ways of liking Rattle or Salonen!

I've enjoyed some Salonen records (eg, among others, excerpts from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet--which is a superb one, imo--and a recent Stravinsky record recently purchased of Pulcinella, Ragtime and Octet); for Rattle, haven't really head anything from him, but am thinking about giving his Mussorgsky, Stravinsky and, perhaps, Mahler a try.

karlhenning

Quote from: Bu on December 18, 2008, 12:11:26 PM
. . . and a recent Stravinsky record recently purchased of Pulcinella, Ragtime and Octet

Is that a new recording?  I once had a Salonen disc with those pieces, back in the early 90's.

Bu

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2008, 12:25:03 PM
Is that a new recording?  I once had a Salonen disc with those pieces, back in the early 90's.

No, its the version you once had.  I just recently bought it and have enjoyed the record so far. 

karlhenning

I remember the Pulcinella and Ragtime being very good.  I don't remember the Octet from that disc . . . .

Bu

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2008, 12:47:05 PM
I remember the Pulcinella and Ragtime being very good.  I don't remember the Octet from that disc . . . .

Ah, here is the record, my friend:

karlhenning

Yes, I remember that the piece was on that disc . . . I don't have any recollection of the sound of the recording, the character of the performance (of the Octuor).

Bu

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2008, 12:55:51 PM
Yes, I remember that the piece was on that disc . . . I don't have any recollection of the sound of the recording, the character of the performance (of the Octuor).

Its a very good interpretation, and has made me appreciate the value of the piece more.  There might be others out there that are better (other versions out there worth exploring, I'm sure), but overall I think Salonen does the work justice.

Que

Quote from: Two-Tone on December 18, 2008, 09:12:11 AM
The thoughtful & moderate expression of opinion by bhodges, Dundonnell and Superhorn are a welcome inducement to just ignore the all-too-usual internet sleeze, prefered by others...

I too wish I could find ways of liking Rattle or Salonen!

Looking through this thread, I see no reason for your personally directed agitation and disrespectful terminology towards other members. There is a bit too much "moronic comments", "nuts", "sleeze", "smearing" - and what have you - going around. Debate is fine but keep it civil! :)

Please cool off a bit. I'm not going to edit or delete all those posts, but consider this a final warning.

Q