Paul
7 (20%)
George
7 (20%)
Ringo
4 (11.4%)
I don't know/like the Beatles.
6 (17.1%)
Pete Best, Stuart Sutcliffe, Billy Preston, etc. (specify)
0 (0%)
George Martin
2 (5.7%)
The Rutles
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

KevinP

Was recently engaged to write a Beatles-type arrangement for someone's original song.

All I can say is: The more someone tries to sound like the Beatles, the more they sound like the Rutles.

KevinP

(Soundalike tribute bands excluded, at least the better ones.)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: KevinP on February 17, 2024, 08:25:02 PMWas recently engaged to write a Beatles-type arrangement for someone's original song.

All I can say is: The more someone tries to sound like the Beatles, the more they sound like the Rutles.
:laugh:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Quote from: KevinP on February 17, 2024, 08:25:02 PMWas recently engaged to write a Beatles-type arrangement for someone's original song.

First, I'd ask myself which stylistic period is most appropriate ( Love me, Do vs. Tax Man vs. The Inner Light, etc. ).

Next, should it be playful/surreal like John, personal like Paul, or exploring like George?

If you have a reasonably good knowledge of their harmonic and instrumental preferences, those two parameters should provide enough for a start. 
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

"Cheese and Onions!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 18, 2024, 09:35:36 AM"Cheese and Onions!"
You know, I've never seen that movie.  Worth watching these days?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2024, 11:17:59 AMYou know, I've never seen that movie.  Worth watching these days?

PD
I think so! I always revel in the gifts of the late, great Neil Innes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

KevinP

Quote from: LKB on February 18, 2024, 06:29:19 AMFirst, I'd ask myself which stylistic period is most appropriate ( Love me, Do vs. Tax Man vs. The Inner Light, etc. ).

Next, should it be playful/surreal like John, personal like Paul, or exploring like George?

If you have a reasonably good knowledge of their harmonic and instrumental preferences, those two parameters should provide enough for a start. 

All those decisions were made by the person who reached out to me.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bernstein talks about Good Day Sunshine, She Said She Said, etc.. I imagine he really liked Revolver.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2024, 11:17:59 AMYou know, I've never seen that movie.  Worth watching these days?

PD

Absolutely.

It's on YouTube:

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: KevinP on February 17, 2024, 08:38:38 PM(Soundalike tribute bands excluded, at least the better ones.)

The best of them are the Dutch group The Analogues. They go above and beyond to recreate the sounds of The Beatles.

Example:

KevinP

At least they don't try to emulate them physically.

I mean, insisting that band members have at least a passing similarity (and a left-handed bassist) must surely cut down on the available talent pool.

Reminds me when Beatlemania (the Broadway play) was out, and there was a tv documentary/news story about the casting. There was someone singing, off-camera, who you'd swear was Paul McCartney, but then the cut to them and they were Japanese.

Karl Henning

Quote from: KevinP on February 28, 2024, 03:09:03 PMAt least they don't try to emulate them physically.

I mean, insisting that band members have at least a passing similarity (and a left-handed bassist) must surely cut down on the available talent pool.

Reminds me when Beatlemania (the Broadway play) was out, and there was a tv documentary/news story about the casting. There was someone singing, off-camera, who you'd swear was Paul McCartney, but then the cut to them and they were Japanese.

Man, I'd clean forgotten. My then girlfriend and I were able to attend that show on night.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

KevinP

We saw it in Chicago. It was fun for what it was, and it was novel at the time. Doubt there will ever be a revival as soundalike tribute bands are too commonplace now.