The Back Room > The Diner

Personality Types

<< < (44/48) > >>

greg:
Small corrections:

This is better:

6- probably several better words to use than Deviance, you kind of have to stretch it a bit to fit, though it captures the gist of it
7- Negativity (instead of pain)

For 4, there was an interesting discussion mentioning that it should be Mundanity instead, which is correct. And Mundanity is what leads to despair.

Would be nice to know others that understand what that is- depression caused by feelings of your life, routine, etc. feeling too mundane. Because most depression is usually thought of as related to low self-esteem, but I never really hear of it being caused by the feeling of crippling boredom and dullness (which is not caused by a lack of activity, it is caused by being forced to focus on boring work all day and not enough time to do exciting things). So it can be hard to explain to people. And unsolvable if exciting work doesn't provide a livable wage.

The low self-esteem thing can be more applicable to social 4's. Seems like this gets way more attention.
Self-preservation 4's, I think, can have the above condition- to them, self-esteem issues may not be a thing, entirely.

greg:
I just did some heavy research the last day or two on enneagram type 6 (the counterphobic version especially), the reason being that certain tests detect test-taking patterns that may indicate that you are a type 6. While I understand that, the more I researched it, the more I felt like that type definitely wasn't me at all, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I found some stat distribution of types and gender from two different sites, with an extremely large sample size.

https://enneagram.bz/en/test/stats/1-enneagram-population-distribution

Here's an old one:

http://www.9types.com/rheti/stats.html

The one thing that stands out the most is how my type (type 5) is the most overwhelmingly male. This type is naturally oriented towards solitary and investigative work. The white collar version is something like computer programming and the blue collar ratio is something like auto mechanics. It would explain the gender ratios I have seen in tech school.

Also, type 9 is clearly the most common type.

greg:
Another interesting observation about those stats.

The whole idea of "Sigma male" or "Alpha Male" come into play here, terms which I think are completely stupid, btw, but kind of interesting and funny.

But there is a pretty solid agreement that the tritype of Sigma Males is 853 and Alpha Males is 873 (order of numbers is unimportant for these archetypes). On personalitydb you can find entries for both archetypes and
the distinction is quite precise- changing the 7 to 5 is just changing the careless extroversion of the Alpha Male to the more introspective version of the Sigma Male, but both remain tough and disagreeable archetypes.

Statistically, 583 (especially if ordered in that way) is the most masculine tritype, basically the Sigma Male is more masculine.

I've always heard about a correlation between men and low agreeableness on the Big 5, but am seeing a sort of cross-correlation here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Enneagram/comments/thshgo/enneagram_big_5_correlations/i1g5y4u/?context=3

I commented how 358 (again, order doesn't matter) is the least agreeable tritype. This correlates exactly. (btw I've looked at the r/SigmaGrindset subreddit lately, it's pretty funny, but it's super dark and not for the faint of heart- should not be taken serious at all, though surely it will be taken down eventually, as it goes into extremely politically incorrect territory for that type of humor).

The alpha male is able to play along with society a bit better, the sigma is more reticent, but more masculine.

Hopefully they don't come up with some stupid archetype that ends up being regarded as 548, I don't want a label.  :P

For most feminine tritypes, looks like 269 and 469 are the two most.

71 dB:
Even since I took MBTI tests and got the INTJ results with very narrow margin to INTP, I have felt like "missing" strengths  and weaknesses related to "J" and "P" because I am so close to the middle. Then it occured me, that these axes are probably linked to each other. In electromagnetic radiation electric and magnetic fields are orthogonal to each other: When magnetic field reaches its maximum, electric field become zero and vice versa. The electric field can be described using a rotating vector.

What if the axes of personality types are linked to each other this way? If you are for example extremely introverted, your possibilities being very judgemental are limited and vice versa. What if our personality is just a "vector" in multidimensional space of mutually orthogonal axes of personality traits? If my personality today is a bit different from what it was yesterday, it is because my personality vector has rotated a little bit in the multidimensional personality space.

So, I took my first MBTI score:

83 % Introverted
64 % Intuitive
56 % Thinking
53 % Judgemental

and transformed them on axes where for example 1.0 N ( = -1.0 S) means 100 % intuitive and 0.66 F ( = -0.66 T) means 83 % Feeling:

0.66 I
0.28 N
0.12 T
0.06 J

The vector from "origo" to these "personality" coordinates has length ≈0.73 assuming the personality type space is euclidean. This length "should" be 1 (a versor in 4-dimensional quaternion vector space) so that is describes "whole" personality. The fact that it is not very close to 1 points to several possible issues such as:

- My assumption of personality being a unity vector in personality space is wrong.
- MBTI test scores are inaccurate and mathematically inconsistent
- Personality space is not euclidean, but for example hyperbolic.
- Many personality traits are missing from MBTI test making the personality vector too short.

It would be interesting to calculate the length of personality vector for every person who has taken the MBTI test to see if it is consistently say between 0.7 and 0.75 and if not then if there is a simple way to scale the test results so that the length is almost the same for everybody. Anyway I can "normalize" my result:

0.66 I/0.73 = 0.90 I => 95 % Introverted
0.28 N/0.73 = 0.38 N => 69 % Intuitive
0.12 T/0.73 = 0.16 T => 58 % Thinking
0.06 J/0.73 = 0.08 J => 54 % Judgemental

This assumes my whole personality is "packed" into these 4 axes. This is a bit math heavy, but people on MGM seem to be good at math, so this should not be too complicated to follow.

greg:

--- Quote from: 71 dB on April 07, 2022, 10:08:28 AM ---- Many personality traits are missing from MBTI test making the personality vector too short.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, not sure if you'll discover anything useful, considering this. You would need all of the variables, and there are infinite.

Even now, discovering with tritype theory for enneagram that you can find a commonality between any three types and it produces a new trait that will be expressed strongly in one's personality. So lots of possibilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version