Personality Types

Started by greg, July 22, 2008, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

I took personality test today (https://www.16personalities.com)

Introverted --- 83 %
Intuitive --- 64 %
Thinking --- 56 %
Judging --- 53 %
Turbulent --- 51 %

I N T J - T
Architect Personality

Strengths: Rational, Informed, Independent, Determined, Curious, Versatile.
Weaknesses: Arrogant, Dismissive of Emotions, Overly Critical, Combative, Romantically Clueless

Looking at the weaknesses "Arrogant" and "Combative" explain well my behavior in the US politics thread.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 07, 2020, 11:57:30 AM
I took personality test today (https://www.16personalities.com)

Introverted --- 83 %
Intuitive --- 64 %
Thinking --- 56 %
Judging --- 53 %
Turbulent --- 51 %

I N T J - T
Architect Personality

Strengths: Rational, Informed, Independent, Determined, Curious, Versatile.
Weaknesses: Arrogant, Dismissive of Emotions, Overly Critical, Combative, Romantically Clueless

Looking at the weaknesses "Arrogant" and "Combative" explain well my behavior in the US politics thread.  :-\
Dude...
not sure why you posted on this 12-year old thread rather than the one on the front page of the Diner.

Actually didn't remember at all that I made this thread back in '08.

Kinda would have guessed INTJ or INTP for you, though your percentages are kinda close.

IMO this test is more of a good thing for determining if you have a spark to continue further or not in the study of typology, it's not really a great test, though. Unless they improved the quality of some of the questions since the last time I took it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

71 dB

Quote from: greg on December 07, 2020, 04:39:33 PM
Dude...
not sure why you posted on this 12-year old thread rather than the one on the front page of the Diner.

I searched the forum for "personality types" and this thread came up first.

Quote from: greg on December 07, 2020, 04:39:33 PMKinda would have guessed INTJ or INTP for you, though your percentages are kinda close.

That's seriously well guessed. I have never understood this stuff, but I am trying to get into this to understand my strengths and weaknesses better.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 07, 2020, 05:33:02 PM
I searched the forum for "personality types" and this thread came up first.
Huh, search feature goes waaaay back.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 07, 2020, 05:33:02 PM
That's seriously well guessed. I have never understood this stuff, but I am trying to get into this to understand my strengths and weaknesses better.
I think I shared this before with you a while back, but the next step is learning about the Jungian cognitive functions. It gets more complex there and there are some wrong assumptions the internet makes (for example, looping theory). It's a mess, but if you have fun learning then great.   ;D

71 dB

Quote from: greg on December 07, 2020, 06:10:14 PM
Huh, search feature goes waaaay back.

I think I shared this before with you a while back, but the next step is learning about the Jungian cognitive functions. It gets more complex there and there are some wrong assumptions the internet makes (for example, looping theory). It's a mess, but if you have fun learning then great.   ;D

Seach function doesn't care about the date. Why would it? What's wrong with an old thread?

This is not an area I am that deeply interested of in general. I used to think younger these personality types are complete mumbo jumbo and totally useless pedantry, but after all the (unexpected) struggles and difficulties in life I'm more curious to understand better my strengths and weaknesses. What I find interesting is how my weaknesses seems to have had a much bigger impact on my life than the strengths. Anyway, if I run out of subjects to learn about (won't happen) I have Jungian cognitive functions.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 08, 2020, 04:49:06 AM
Seach function doesn't care about the date. Why would it? What's wrong with an old thread?
Nothing, just that I was trying to make the MBTI thread the only one for typology, since there were a few of mine and should have been consolidated into one thread.

It's okay, though, I am trying to reduce my posting here anyways so no big deal.

This is not an area I am that deeply interested of in general. I used to think younger these personality types are complete mumbo jumbo and totally useless pedantry, but after all the (unexpected) struggles and difficulties in life I'm more curious to understand better my strengths and weaknesses. What I find interesting is how my weaknesses seems to have had a much bigger impact on my life than the strengths. Anyway, if I run out of subjects to learn about (won't happen) I have Jungian cognitive functions.
Yeah, you could also read up about enneagram 5w6 or 6w5 since I'm very confident you'd get that result. (or at least would be surprised if you got something different).
I'm finding enneagram to fill the gaps where MBTI and Jungian cognitive functions don't cover.
For example, for my type 5w4, you can be a scientist and an artist at the same time! (or a nerd and a goth lol :P )
In MBTI it may or may be not give you the archetypes that suit you.

For the more advanced stuff, in the Objective Personality System group that I'm in, actually recently I saw some people discussing about the idea of "masculine intuition" (M-Ni or M-Ne) being described of Asperger's- the reason being that in the system that is one of the two parts for the visual modality, and it is thought that the one common thing about everyone with Asperger's is being visual dominant (rather than audio, kinesthetic or "tester").

Anyways, question for you: do loud noises really bother you? Not gonna lie, if I can make it through my life without violently murdering people outside my apartment with a rusty knife I'll be blessed.  0:)

71 dB

Quote from: greg on December 08, 2020, 05:10:40 PM
Yeah, you could also read up about enneagram 5w6 or 6w5 since I'm very confident you'd get that result. (or at least would be surprised if you got something different).

Enneagram? Never heard. I even think all of this personality type thing is much more popular in the US than in Finland. We don't really use them here as far as I know. Finnish culture might be too introvert for people to discuss openly about their personality type.  :P

Quote from: greg on December 08, 2020, 05:10:40 PMI'm finding enneagram to fill the gaps where MBTI and Jungian cognitive functions don't cover.
For example, for my type 5w4, you can be a scientist and an artist at the same time! (or a nerd and a goth lol :P )
In MBTI it may or may be not give you the archetypes that suit you.

Well, people tend to be many things. That's why I used to think this all is mumbo Jumbo. As if there was ONLY 16 personality types! Every person is a unique personality! The introvert/extrovert axis was the first one I understood long ago, but even that is more complex. I am introvert in Jungian sense, but there are social situations where I am quite extrovert. I have also changed. The struggles in life have made me more eager to express my opinions and I have thicker skin so that a little humiliating situations don't bother me that much. The one benefit of low self-esteem is you don't have to protect your self-esteem. You have nothing to lose in battles of dignity. 25 years ago if I accidentally dropped a coin in a grocery store I would feel humiliated for hours afterwards because I had the illusion of high self-esteem, but nowadays I feel nothing! I have stopped caring what other people think about me. I feel so different person today than 25 years ago. Life changes people.

What's interesting is the amount of people in various personality types vary geographically. My INTJ type is especially common in Poland and East Europe/Russia in general (but not in the north so in Finland it's not common). In the "west" INTJ is less common for some reason.

Quote from: greg on December 08, 2020, 05:10:40 PMFor the more advanced stuff, in the Objective Personality System group that I'm in, actually recently I saw some people discussing about the idea of "masculine intuition" (M-Ni or M-Ne) being described of Asperger's- the reason being that in the system that is one of the two parts for the visual modality, and it is thought that the one common thing about everyone with Asperger's is being visual dominant (rather than audio, kinesthetic or "tester").

I consider myself mild Asperger because about half of things typical to Aspergers apply well to me (Paying attention to detail other people don't care about, being helpless in social situations of large groups of people etc.). I am definitely visual dominant, but audio is also important for me (I am audiovisual dominant).

Quote from: greg on December 08, 2020, 05:10:40 PMAnyways, question for you: do loud noises really bother you? Not gonna lie, if I can make it through my life without violently murdering people outside my apartment with a rusty knife I'll be blessed.  0:)

ALL noises bother me, quiet and loud. I have developped analytic hearing meaning my mind doesn't block even quiet noises around me so I hear everything that is above the threshold of hearing and is not masked by other sounds. Fortunately my neighbours are relatively quiet people.

You must have party animals living next door if you have such violent fantasies. Sounds like you need help much more than I.  ???

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 09, 2020, 03:38:16 AM
Enneagram? Never heard. I even think all of this personality type thing is much more popular in the US than in Finland. We don't really use them here as far as I know. Finnish culture might be too introvert for people to discuss openly about their personality type.  :P
I think it's more of an internet thing to get into this stuff, I see it in unexpected places online sometimes now, but never is it discussed IRL.

Well, people tend to be many things. That's why I used to think this all is mumbo Jumbo. As if there was ONLY 16 personality types! Every person is a unique personality! The introvert/extrovert axis was the first one I understood long ago, but even that is more complex. I am introvert in Jungian sense, but there are social situations where I am quite extrovert. I have also changed. The struggles in life have made me more eager to express my opinions and I have thicker skin so that a little humiliating situations don't bother me that much. The one benefit of low self-esteem is you don't have to protect your self-esteem. You have nothing to lose in battles of dignity. 25 years ago if I accidentally dropped a coin in a grocery store I would feel humiliated for hours afterwards because I had the illusion of high self-esteem, but nowadays I feel nothing! I have stopped caring what other people think about me. I feel so different person today than 25 years ago. Life changes people.
Right, you could probably eventually find enough factors combined to get billions of types if you wanted to get specific enough.
And there is the factor of people being able to change over time, though it's usually conceived more as a balance rather than actually switching to be the opposite for everything, based on the Jungian individuation concept. Some aspects are flexible, others are really difficult to be flexible.

What's interesting is the amount of people in various personality types vary geographically. My INTJ type is especially common in Poland and East Europe/Russia in general (but not in the north so in Finland it's not common). In the "west" INTJ is less common for some reason.
Anything that is INxx will be super common online, but least common IRL it seems.
Last time I saw the geographical stats, it seemed Finland did hold up its stereotype of being introvert, though Japan took the #1 spot of course.
And Arab countries seemed to be the most extroverted.
Makes me wonder if colder countries have a tendency to make people more introverted or what. I'm from a warm part of the US, and at least half of my socializing when growing up was outside playing sports. But after living in a cold place for a few years, I can see how staying inside all the time would make you want to be less social. Idk, just a random thought.

I consider myself mild Asperger because about half of things typical to Aspergers apply well to me (Paying attention to detail other people don't care about, being helpless in social situations of large groups of people etc.). I am definitely visual dominant, but audio is also important for me (I am audiovisual dominant).
Cool.
Well, the OPS system is trying to match up their typing system to many things, they have even found clustering of LGBT and similar visual appearances to certain types, but this is all a work in progress. There was discussion about Asperger's but probably nothing will come of it soon. I'm very curious about this stuff, though. There are a few things aspects I can relate to for that (like being annoyed at noises which break my train of thought, or obsessive hobbies when I was younger), but most of it is different, so the similarities/differences are interesting.

You must have party animals living next door if you have such violent fantasies. Sounds like you need help much more than I.  ???
Thankfully not party animals, though just people that like to talk loud right outside my door, kids screaming at full volume while playing, people blasting their music in their car, an overly loud TV behind my wall, etc.

Once I made the mistake of living on the first floor of an apartment- LOL. Now I always make sure to live on the top floor, nothing less. Used to have to wear stuff to block out the noise, the sound of zoo animals or bowling balls crashing against my ceiling meant my default state of being was murderous rage. So yeah, screw that.

greg

Anyway, if I run out of subjects to learn about (won't happen) I have Jungian cognitive functions.
Well here is the briefest summary possible:

My "official" typing is Ni and Fi. Everyone "has" (aka is most comfortable with) doing two:
decider function (one from either the top or bottom row)
observer function (one from the middle two rows)

BAM! Now you can check that off the list of stuff you've learned.  :P :D

71 dB

Quote from: greg on December 09, 2020, 01:30:35 PM
BAM! Now you can check that off the list of stuff you've learned.  :P :D

Thanks, but my mind is not fine-tuned to this kind of stuff. Sometimes it takes me decades to learn something just because all the ways the thing is represented miss a crucial piece of information for me, typically related to logical connections. I learn math pretty fast, because it's mostly about logical connections and no one in the right mind would teach math without logical connections (that's what math is about!), but other subject such as psychology tend to be about terminology and concepts rather than logical connections and are often taught listing the terms and concepts while leaving out logical connections. For example your "briefest summary possible" picture:

I see colorful balls and text between them, but what does it mean? What logical connections between things does it show? What does the colors mean? What does green mean? Are green balls connected to each other? I understand NOTHING! I don't even fully get the INTJ stuff. Sorry. Aspergers are good at processing information they have absorbed, but bad at absorbing information. I can read, but most of it does not stick to my brain and I have just forgotten it 5 minutes later. To make it stick to my brain the information has to be fascinating (e.g. art) or logical (e.g. math). Most information in neither.

71 dB

Quote from: greg on December 09, 2020, 07:04:56 AM
Anything that is INxx will be super common online, but least common IRL it seems.

Are you saying INxx people are more active online than others? That's the logical implication of this claim.

Being online is part of "IRL" in my opinion just as watching opera on TV home instead in an opera hall is "IRL". What I write here online affects you, another person, when you read my post. That makes this "IRL".

71 dB

Last time I saw the geographical stats, it seemed Finland did hold up its stereotype of being introvert, though Japan took the #1 spot of course.
And Arab countries seemed to be the most extroverted.
Makes me wonder if colder countries have a tendency to make people more introverted or what. I'm from a warm part of the US, and at least half of my socializing when growing up was outside playing sports. But after living in a cold place for a few years, I can see how staying inside all the time would make you want to be less social. Idk, just a random thought.

People coming to Finland from extroverted countries are often shocked by how cold Finns appear at first, but when they get to know some Finns and understand better Finnish culture they stop calling Finns cold.  ;D Give a Finn alchohol and you see an amazing transformation of an introverted person to an extroverted person. Or go to sauna with Finns!  >:D Maybe all cultures are equally introverted/extroverted, but there's differences in which situtations people are introverted/extroverted. Finns are introverted in everyday life in situations where they are most often seen so they appear introverted while Arabs are extroverted in everyday life and maybe introverted elsewhere? Your theory of being inside could fit into this. Arab version of being inside it avoiding nudity. Finnish (sauna) culture is pretty relaxed when it comes to nudity. In that sense Finns are extroverted.

71 dB

Cool.
Well, the OPS system is trying to match up their typing system to many things, they have even found clustering of LGBT and similar visual appearances to certain types, but this is all a work in progress. There was discussion about Asperger's but probably nothing will come of it soon. I'm very curious about this stuff, though. There are a few things aspects I can relate to for that (like being annoyed at noises which break my train of thought, or obsessive hobbies when I was younger), but most of it is different, so the similarities/differences are interesting.

My brain hurts when I try to understand what you wrote. OPS = Oil purification systems? Operation Productivity Systems? Open Pluggable Specification? Clusters of LGBT? Huh? Nothing is coming soon? What should be coming? Jesus? Sorry if I am too dumb for your posts.

71 dB

Thankfully not party animals, though just people that like to talk loud right outside my door, kids screaming at full volume while playing, people blasting their music in their car, an overly loud TV behind my wall, etc.

Once I made the mistake of living on the first floor of an apartment- LOL. Now I always make sure to live on the top floor, nothing less. Used to have to wear stuff to block out the noise, the sound of zoo animals or bowling balls crashing against my ceiling meant my default state of being was murderous rage. So yeah, screw that.

Well, I don't have people talking loud outside my door. Must be the introverted Finnish culture. A couple of years ago my neighbour had her friend living with her with two very large (friendly) dogs. Everytime the dogs were taken out their heavy tails hit against my door for 3 seconds. That's the worst I have experienced. The good thing about Finnish homes is we have at least double and often triple windows to keep the heat inside and cold outside. So the sound insulation is also better against outdoor noises.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 03:35:52 AM
My brain hurts when I try to understand what you wrote. OPS = Oil purification systems? Operation Productivity Systems? Open Pluggable Specification? Clusters of LGBT? Huh? Nothing is coming soon? What should be coming? Jesus? Sorry if I am too dumb for your posts.
No problem, I guess didn't I provide enough information, was trying to be too brief-
OPS = Objective Personality System. It is basically Myers Briggs on steroids, instead of 16 types there are 512.

Here are examples of two types:
One type (over 50% LGBT- they say LGBT, but I think it's just the G (gay) for that one)

Another type (none are LGBT)

The clustering of people who look similar or are LGBT or whatever into the same type is the interesting part. So what I'm saying is that they are studying all types of aspects such as that, even stuff like Asperger's, and trying to note down if there is a specific pattern going on. But it's still an idea in progress, not sure how much it will develop.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 03:22:20 AM
People coming to Finland from extroverted countries are often shocked by how cold Finns appear at first, but when they get to know some Finns and understand better Finnish culture they stop calling Finns cold.  ;D Give a Finn alchohol and you see an amazing transformation of an introverted person to an extroverted person. Or go to sauna with Finns!  >:D Maybe all cultures are equally introverted/extroverted, but there's differences in which situtations people are introverted/extroverted. Finns are introverted in everyday life in situations where they are most often seen so they appear introverted while Arabs are extroverted in everyday life and maybe introverted elsewhere? Your theory of being inside could fit into this. Arab version of being inside it avoiding nudity. Finnish (sauna) culture is pretty relaxed when it comes to nudity. In that sense Finns are extroverted.
Huh, yeah, that is an interesting perspective.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 03:01:38 AM
Are you saying INxx people are more active online than others? That's the logical implication of this claim.
Sure, just breaking it down-
I (introversion) = more likely to want to be alone so will be online more
N (intuition) = more likely to want to explore idea/concepts. And the internet is great for exploring concepts, that is the depth of what it has to offer (once you get past social media, etc.)

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 03:01:38 AM
Being online is part of "IRL" in my opinion just as watching opera on TV home instead in an opera hall is "IRL". What I write here online affects you, another person, when you read my post. That makes this "IRL".
Lol, true, true.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 02:49:30 AM
I see colorful balls and text between them, but what does it mean? What logical connections between things does it show? What does the colors mean? What does green mean? Are green balls connected to each other? I understand NOTHING!
Hm, it might not really be enough information for understanding, just thought it'd give you an vague idea of what the functions are doing.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 02:49:30 AM
Thanks, but my mind is not fine-tuned to this kind of stuff. Sometimes it takes me decades to learn something just because all the ways the thing is represented miss a crucial piece of information for me, typically related to logical connections. I learn math pretty fast, because it's mostly about logical connections and no one in the right mind would teach math without logical connections (that's what math is about!),
Aspergers are good at processing information they have absorbed, but bad at absorbing information. I can read, but most of it does not stick to my brain and I have just forgotten it 5 minutes later. To make it stick to my brain the information has to be fascinating (e.g. art) or logical (e.g. math). Most information in neither.
Ok, so this caught my attention because to me it sounds like you are describing lexicality in the neurotyping system.

But I won't explain what that means, rather show you a picture:

Is there anyone whose thinking process that you can relate to most? Would you say Sheldon Cooper maybe?

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on December 10, 2020, 07:17:59 AM
No problem, I guess didn't I provide enough information, was trying to be too brief-
OPS = Objective Personality System. It is basically Myers Briggs on steroids, instead of 16 types there are 512.

One type (over 50% LGBT- they say LGBT, but I think it's just the G (gay) for that one)

The clustering of people who look similar or are LGBT or whatever into the same type is the interesting part.

Bears, look up Gay Bears. ;)

71 dB

The clustering of people who look similar or are LGBT or whatever into the same type is the interesting part. So what I'm saying is that they are studying all types of aspects such as that, even stuff like Asperger's, and trying to note down if there is a specific pattern going on. But it's still an idea in progress, not sure how much it will develop.

The face left up looks familiar, but I can't remember who he is. Is this a demonstration having beard indicates NOT being LGBT and vice versa? This is really a topic I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!! I'm feeling like a monkey listening to a lecture about black holes.  ;D

Of course I can google Objective Personality System and study this topic for an hours, but I have other things to do...

PS. is down right guy Sheamus? The Wrestler?

71 dB

Sure, just breaking it down-
I (introversion) = more likely to want to be alone so will be online more
N (intuition) = more likely to want to explore idea/concepts. And the internet is great for exploring concepts, that is the depth of what it has to offer (once you get past social media, etc.)

I knew I = Introversion and N = iNtuition, but I'm yet to completely understand the difference between iNtuition and Sensing. For me as an INxx guy it's difficult to understand why someone wouldn't be interested of new ideas/concepts. Isn't that just conservatism?   $:)

71 dB

But I won't explain what that means, rather show you a picture:

Is there anyone whose thinking process that you can relate to most? Would you say Sheldon Cooper maybe?

I don't have a clue. I agree politically with Bernie Sanders. I had to Google who Sheldon Cooper is.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 10:15:47 AM
I knew I = Introversion and N = iNtuition, but I'm yet to completely understand the difference between iNtuition and Sensing. For me as an INxx guy it's difficult to understand why someone wouldn't be interested of new ideas/concepts. Isn't that just conservatism?   $:)
Right, that is a conservative quality which is not a positive one IMO, though at least they have the positive quality of higher conscientiousness (speaking of how Big Five relates to politics).

Though with increasing push for censorship from political correctness on the left, it seems things are flipping a bit... part of being interested in new ideas/concepts is to not filter the darker, less politically correct ideas. Like not censoring comedians, etc.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 09:58:47 AM
The face left up looks familiar, but I can't remember who he is. Is this a demonstration having beard indicates NOT being LGBT and vice versa?
The idea is that it is unlikely that people who look alike should share an extremely similar personality (like out of 512 types), because it is unlikely.
Yet, instead, it is not uncommon that a people who look alike are being typed exactly the same.
So the thing they have been trying to find out, by typing enough people, is if (or how much) having the same type of genetics that produces their physical appearance, ends up shaping their actual personality. It could be coincidence, but also maybe not, maybe there is something deeper to it.
It's just one idea they want to eventually bring forward to scientists to investigate further.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 09:58:47 AM
PS. is down right guy Sheamus? The Wrestler?
Yes.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 10, 2020, 10:44:59 AM
I don't have a clue. I agree politically with Bernie Sanders. I had to Google who Sheldon Cooper is.
Ooohh... huh, I guess never mind then.

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 10, 2020, 07:56:59 AM
Bears, look up Gay Bears. ;)
No thanks.  :-X