Personality Types

Started by greg, July 22, 2008, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: JCampbell on July 24, 2008, 06:46:57 AM
I object! Decayed farts can give a hint as to what a person has recently eaten. Hardly fair to bring them down another level, don't you think?
but how do you tell?  ???
is this done in a lab? is this what you do in your lab at school?  ;D

mn dave

Gurn Blanston

ISFJ

I also took the real test for this many years ago. I see the results haven't changed... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on July 24, 2008, 06:53:14 AM
but how do you tell?  ???
is this done in a lab? is this what you do in your lab at school?  ;D
No...but if you notice your eyes burning around certain individuals, it's a good bet they've been eating Thai! ;D

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 24, 2008, 07:37:53 AM
ISFJ

I also took the real test for this many years ago. I see the results haven't changed... :)

8)
Is the real test on the same web page?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JCampbell on July 24, 2008, 07:57:11 AM

I didn't see it there. I took it in a management course at work. This is a well-known thing (the 16 Types). I would well imagine that you can find the test online if you Google it a bit.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Philoctetes

Quote from: JCampbell on July 24, 2008, 07:57:11 AM

I've never seen the full test online. It is fairly lengthy.

Joe_Campbell

Yea...some 'version' of the test I found asked 4 questions and then determined it from that. Seems like I got short-changed.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JCampbell on July 24, 2008, 06:14:31 PM
Yea...some 'version' of the test I found asked 4 questions and then determined it from that. Seems like I got short-changed.

Indeed you did. IIRC (and it's been 20 years), the test was 12-15 pages long. Probably one of the best of its ilk I ever took though. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Hausmusik - Bia 298 Op 29 Quintet in C for Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

eyeresist

Quote from: Apollo on July 24, 2008, 06:56:51 AM
I'm a STFU.

lol

There's something acutely ironic about accusing people of being nerds on a classical music forum.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: eyeresist on July 24, 2008, 07:19:31 PM
lThere's something acutely ironic about accusing people of being nerds on a classical music forum.

I am savouring the irony with you.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 24, 2008, 07:37:53 AM
ISFJ

ISTJ, according to one (rather brief) test I randomly took among those available on the internet.

Introverted (I) 73.33% Extroverted (E) 26.67%
Sensing (S) 57.58% Intuitive (N) 42.42%
Thinking (T) 58.62% Feeling (F) 41.38%
Judging (J) 54.76% Perceiving (P) 45.24%

knight66

There needs to be some delving into what some of these terms mean. There are academic categorisations here that have slid into common usage and the meanings have become distorted. An example is 'introvert', here is a quote on the definition; I was thinking of explaining it myself, but Googled and this one looks fine to me.

Definition: "Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

Introverts are more concerned with the inner world of the mind. They enjoy thinking, exploring their thoughts and feelings. They often avoid social situations because being around people drains their energy. This is true even if they have good social skills. After being with people for any length of time, such as at a party, they need time alone to "recharge."

"When introverts want to be alone, it is not, by itself, a sign of depression. It means that they either need to regain their energy from being around people or that they simply want the time to be with their own thoughts. Being with people, even people they like and are comfortable with, can prevent them from their desire to be quietly introspective.

Being introspective, though, does not mean that an introvert never has conversations. However, those conversations are generally about ideas and concepts, not about what they consider the trivial matters of social small talk.

Introverts make up about 60% of the gifted population but only about 25-40% of the general population."

From this source.

http://giftedkids.about.com/od/glossary/g/introvert.htm

'Extrovert' is also used in common parlance in an incorrect or at least altered way from that envisaged when the term was coined.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Renfield

I will suppress blood-curdling screams and assorted vocalisations of indignation, and suggest that anyone seriously interested in the terms in this test and their interpretation, in fact their original purpose, prior to appropriation towards the war effort for kitchen-table psychometry, refer themselves to Jung's work. Unless they're interested in the "Judging/Perceiving" business, which was just tacked on.

It is veritably a travesty how a theory of personality has become a quantitative theory of classification, I'll say it again.  >:(

(And I'll now stop harassing this thread; so to speak, as I don't think threads can be harassed. :P)

knight66

Apart from specifying Jung, I thought that was pretty much my point; though made sitting down. Despite the hijacking of these terms, I have seen how such as Myers Briggs can help people understand and to allow colleagues to function in varied teams. The danger I always preached about was pigeonholing people with their definition to the extent the categorisation straitjacketed them. Managers and colleagues needed to see the descriptors as tendencies, not the 10 commandments. People could learn to work successfully out of their comfort zone.

Apollo....here is a system I had not known about: 'The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory'. Want to fess up?

Mike

Philoctetes

Quote from: knight on July 25, 2008, 09:13:50 AM
Apart from specifying Jung, I thought that was pretty much my point; though made sitting down. Despite the hijacking of these terms, I have seen how such as Myers Briggs can help people understand and to allow colleagues to function in varied teams. The danger I always preached about was pigeonholing people with their definition to the extent the categorisation straitjacketed them. Managers and colleagues needed to see the descriptors as tendencies, not the 10 commandments. People could learn to work successfully out of their comfort zone.

Apollo....here is a system I had not known about: 'The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory'. Want to fess up?

Mike

I've taken the MMPI. Now that's a long test, at the very least, it will take 2 hours to complete, and that is if you are flying through it.

knight66

Yes, I used to argue with the facilitators I encountered who did not themselves understand what they were delivering beyond their speaker's notes. That was on the basis of a computerised test that took about an hour to complete. All they really wanted was headlines with which to label people. I regarded it as a lazy way of trying to help people understand themselves. But when delivered well, it had a positive and lasting impact.

Mike

ChamberNut

Quote from: Wanderer on July 24, 2008, 11:49:12 PM
ISTJ, according to one (rather brief) test I randomly took among those available on the internet.

Introverted (I) 73.33% Extroverted (E) 26.67%
Sensing (S) 57.58% Intuitive (N) 42.42%
Thinking (T) 58.62% Feeling (F) 41.38%
Judging (J) 54.76% Perceiving (P) 45.24%

Based on the test results of the above linked test, I'm an ISFJ (The Nurturer)

Introverted (I) 100%, Extroverted (E) 0%   :o
Sensing (S) 53%, Intuitive (N) 47%
Thinking (T) 17%, Feeling (F) 83%
Judging (J) 59%, Perceiving (P) 41%

greg

Quote from: JCampbell on July 24, 2008, 07:55:05 AM
No...but if you notice your eyes burning around certain individuals, it's a good bet they've been eating Thai! ;D
:-X

Quote from: knight on July 25, 2008, 06:40:58 AM
There needs to be some delving into what some of these terms mean. There are academic categorisations here that have slid into common usage and the meanings have become distorted. An example is 'introvert', here is a quote on the definition; I was thinking of explaining it myself, but Googled and this one looks fine to me.

Definition: "Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

Introverts are more concerned with the inner world of the mind. They enjoy thinking, exploring their thoughts and feelings. They often avoid social situations because being around people drains their energy. This is true even if they have good social skills. After being with people for any length of time, such as at a party, they need time alone to "recharge."

"When introverts want to be alone, it is not, by itself, a sign of depression. It means that they either need to regain their energy from being around people or that they simply want the time to be with their own thoughts. Being with people, even people they like and are comfortable with, can prevent them from their desire to be quietly introspective.

Being introspective, though, does not mean that an introvert never has conversations. However, those conversations are generally about ideas and concepts, not about what they consider the trivial matters of social small talk.

Introverts make up about 60% of the gifted population but only about 25-40% of the general population."

From this source.

http://giftedkids.about.com/od/glossary/g/introvert.htm

'Extrovert' is also used in common parlance in an incorrect or at least altered way from that envisaged when the term was coined.

Mike

That is PERFECT!  8)
If only everybody could read this, then they'd understand me very very well (btw, i was in gifted class in school before so that percentage makes sense)....
Normally, I'm extremely quiet and avoid talking to people, since everyday saying hi and having to answer the same stupid question "how are you?" is so monotonous it makes me sick. Who cares how i am, is that really important information? Is it interesting? No. And I don't care how people are, unless they're dying or something. I can think of little comments and stuff to say, but usually it's stupid so I don't even feel like saying it.

Now, a good conversation is like something last night- me and my possible future band manager were talking about Family Guy and South Park, and also music, since he said he listened to the Shostakovich i had on my myspace page. Especially when I got to mention how funny i thought the Kool-Aid man jumping through the courtroom saying "oh, yeah....."  was.