Author Topic: Schubert complete piano sonatas- question  (Read 10417 times)

Sean

Schubert complete piano sonatas- question
« on: May 12, 2007, 06:47:23 AM »
A few years ago a complete set came out that provided a particularly thorough survey, including various sketches and so forth left incomplete: the pianist also had good reviews, but I can't remember who it was- can you advise? I want to buy a set and a bit fed up with the ones that aren't actually complete, such as the Kempf I had once.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Schubert complete piano sonatas- question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:09:50 AM »
Not Joyce Hatto, I imagine.

BorisG

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
A few years ago a complete set came out that provided a particularly thorough survey, including various sketches and so forth left incomplete: the pianist also had good reviews, but I can't remember who it was- can you advise? I want to buy a set and a bit fed up with the ones that aren't actually complete, such as the Kempf I had once.

You may be thinking of Paul Badura-Skoda, RCA LPs (modern piano), Arcana CDs (piano forte).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »
Sean is apparently no longer around, but Andras Schiff also did a complete Schubert sonatas.

Q

Harry

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 05:29:54 AM »
Sean is apparently no longer around, but Andras Schiff also did a complete Schubert sonatas.

Q

Well I have that set, and find it really boring, somehow.............
Took me ages to get through it, but that was years ago! :)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 05:37:38 AM »
Well I have that set, and find it really boring, somehow.............
Took me ages to get through it, but that was years ago! :)

I don't have it myself so I'll take it from you! :)

But I did recently get the complete cycle on fortepiano by Badura-Skoda on Arcana.
Have to make some progress in listening before making up my mind on that!

Q

George

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 06:50:54 AM »

But I did recently get the complete cycle on fortepiano by Badura-Skoda on Arcana.

Q

Hey, Q!

Thought you had Schiff's Schubert impromptus? I took them out of the library and wasn't impressed.  :-\

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Hey, Q!

Thought you had Schiff's Schubert impromptus? I took them out of the library and wasn't impressed.  :-\

Yes, that's right - but not the sonatas.
Actually I relistened to Schiff's impromptus myself a few days ago - and I was also not so impressed (anymore)!  ;D  They pale in comparison with Edwin Fischer's.

Q

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:56:23 AM »
Schiff stood between me and D960 for two years  :D

George

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 07:00:38 AM »
Yes, that's right - but not the sonatas.
Actually I relistened to Schiff's impromptus myself a few days ago - and I was also not so impressed (anymore)!  ;D  They pale in comparison with Edwin Fischer's.

Q

Schiff always sound like he needs a swift kick in the bottom.

Schiff stood between me and D960 for two years  :D

For that alone the man should be imprisoned.  $:)

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 07:03:29 AM »

Q

I've been warned that Badura-Skoda was a poor technician and that his Beethoven and Schubert can be a bit annoying to listen to.  I hope this isn't true!

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 07:10:48 AM »
I have Perahia, Orkis, and Lupu doing the impromptus.  The Orkis is on fortepiano, the others on modern piano.  Although the Perahia is very fine, of the three, the one I listen to most is the Lupu.  The Orkis is comprised of 2 separate recordings with differing sound quality, which can be disconcerting.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:25:08 AM »
I've been warned that Badura-Skoda was a poor technician and that his Beethoven and Schubert can be a bit annoying to listen to.  I hope this isn't true!

On my first impressions: I don't think so.
Badura-Skoda has a rather straight forward, non virtuosic style, which is maybe confused with poor technique.

Q

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »
Badura-Skoda has a rather straight forward, non virtuosic style, which is maybe confused with poor technique.

Q

Glad to hear this because I ordered some of his recordings, and they weren't cheap.

Online Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
Two pianists came to mind. The most obvious is Kovacevich. The other is Wilhelm Kempff
Cheers

Holden

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »
Surprised that the Uchida set has not been mentioned - some mixed reviews, but the one that I own -  :)

Offline FideLeo

• Veteran member
  • 2 HIPs Hooray! ^_^
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »

Q

To these ears B-S's Schubert on Arcana appears to be more agreeable than his Beethoven (Astree).  While the Beethoven gives this rather ungainly impression, at times, of a cranky performer struggling with his equally obstinate instruments, the Schubert sounds rather placid and pretty, with fortepianos being much better prepared and regulated this time round.   But compare his D. 960 to the recordings by Staier and van Immerseel, and you might go :( as I did.  Safe to say that the three discs (each with D.958, D.959, D. 960) are now deposited in my brother's storage, and I don't care if they get listened to any.   But then I haven't heard these in ages, so if I were to hear his rather understated Schubert again I may like it a bit more because of my greater maturity... 0:)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:09:32 AM by fl.traverso »
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »
To these ears B-S's Schubert on Arcana appears to be more agreeable than his Beethoven (Astree).  While the Beethoven gives the rather ungainly impression, at times, of a cranky performer struggling with his equally obstinate instruments, the Schubert sounds rather placid and pretty, with fortepianos being much better prepared and regulated this time round.   But compare his D. 960 to the recordings by Staier and van Immerseel, and you might go :( as I did.  Safe to say that the three discs (each with D.958, D.959, D. 960) are now deposited in my brother's storage, and I don't care if they get listened to any.   But then I haven't heard these in ages, so if I were to hear his rather understated Schubert again I may like it a bit more because of my greater maturity... 0:)

I have been trying to obtain Staier's D960 for an age, and have not found it even at inflated prices!  I finally ordered his other release which only includes the D958 and d959, but  I still hope I'll find the other some day.  Meanwhile, Leif Ove Andsnes's recordings of the late sonatas, especially the D960 suit me to a "T." In fact, they are best interpretations I heard of those sonatas, even over the recent Fleisher recording, and the Kempf.  Btw, there is also a Kempf boxset of the complete sonatas which is extremely good.

Offline FideLeo

• Veteran member
  • 2 HIPs Hooray! ^_^
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »
I have been trying to obtain Staier's D960 for an age, and have not found it even at inflated prices!  I finally ordered his other release which only includes the D958 and d959, but  I still hope I'll find the other some day. 

Yes I often encounter long sought-after discs where (and when) I least expect to find them.  Today's examples: Zelenka's complete Orchestral music on CPO, volume 3 (I have had the first two volumes for ages); Weckmann/Froberger performed by Gustav Leonhardt (Sony).  Honestly I have been on look out for these two recordings for quite a while - now they are mine, for less than £3 each.   Feels doubly great when it all happened through serendipity.  :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!