Anti-Christian films

Started by Sean, May 12, 2007, 08:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

The Devils- one of the most important films ever made, with protests outside cinemas when it came out and not just down religious indignation or violence but the sheer vehemence and engagement with the interest in destruction of the other for its own sake: the climactic execution scene with the onlookers really enjoying themselves is why it's still cut and banned as a threat to society 36 years later- it's that good. This film's made me think more than any other.

The Da Vinci code- much much better than it ought to be, and a right stink bomb: despite based on a populist novel written to simplistic formulae, using material researched by others decades before and giving it out anew, the subject matter remains interesting to any thinking person and the adaptation is obviously excellent. The incidental connection with Wagner's Parsifal (he visited Rennes-le-Chateau) and Kundry is fascinating.

The Life of Brian- Great movie, comical but always in an intelligent and memorable way: you got to like this bit-

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, you don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
The Crowd (in unison): Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd (in unison): Yes, we ARE all different!
Man in Crowd: I'm not...
The Crowd: Shhh!

The Last temptation of Christ- quite interesting ending, though rather monotonous and colourless film: either Christ was into gay orgies every night with his 12 apostles in a circle, or he was married...

Any others??

Don

The Da Vinci code was one of the worst movies I every watched.  Tom Hanks appeared bored as hell, and the motivation of his female co-star was dubious.  Very disappointing compared to the book.

carlos

Quote from: Don on May 12, 2007, 08:30:51 AM
The Da Vinci code was one of the worst movies I every watched.  Tom Hanks appeared bored as hell, and the motivation of his female co-star was dubious.  Very disappointing compared to the book.

I didn't read the book, but about the picture, I agree with
you; too long, too absurd and boring. And all the crew
seems boring too.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

david johnson

these are anti-christian??  i'm a serious christian and only view them as movies.

dj

Bunny

Quote from: carlos on May 12, 2007, 08:53:07 AM
I didn't read the book, but about the picture, I agree with
you; too long, too absurd and boring. And all the crew
seems boring too.

Lucky you!

Boris_G

Who needs anti-Christian films when there are Christians doing such a good job themselves: e.g. Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ"?  ;)

Hollywood

Quote from: Boris_G on May 13, 2007, 03:13:42 AM
Who needs anti-Christian films when there are Christians doing such a good job themselves: e.g. Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ"?  ;)

My cousin, the actor James Caviezel who played Jesus in this very film, would probably agree with you on this one Boris.  0:)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Steve

Quote from: david johnson on May 12, 2007, 02:05:48 PM
these are anti-christian??  i'm a serious christian and only view them as movies.

Agreed.  :)

Shrunk

It may not count as "Anti-Christian", but this is the funniest website I've seen in a long time:

http://www.mrdeity.com/

Hector

Quote from: Boris_G on May 13, 2007, 03:13:42 AM

My thoughts, exactly.

Intolerant, bigoted, anti-semitic, narrow-minded zealots like Gibson will, eventually, destroy Christianity >:D

orbital

Quote from: Sean on May 12, 2007, 08:20:21 AM
The Devils- one of the most important films ever made, with protests outside cinemas when it came out and not just down religious indignation or violence but the sheer vehemence and engagement with the interest in destruction of the other for its own sake: the climactic execution scene with the onlookers really enjoying themselves is why it's still cut and banned as a threat to society 36 years later- it's that good. This film's made me think more than any other.

I've been longing to read Huxley's novel; since the movie can only be found scarcely in VHS and only in a conveniently cut version  >:(
The book is OOP too  :-\

Last Temptation of Christ was a so-so movie, but the original book was a fascinating read

karlhenning

Quote from: orbital on May 14, 2007, 07:41:42 AM
Last Temptation of Christ was a so-so movie, but the original book was a fascinating read

That, I can well believe.

Michel

Quote from: david johnson on May 12, 2007, 02:05:48 PM
I'm a serious christian..

What does that involve? Stern faces?

orbital

Quote from: karlhenning on May 14, 2007, 07:43:29 AM
That, I can well believe.
IMO, Kazantzakis' novel is not anti-Christian at all. Except for a final chapter in which Jesus dreams about a family life, I fail to see what is so controversial about it.
It's been a very long time since I read it, but the scene about the time that Jesus spends time alone in the desert, and how the Devil is trying to seduce him stayed with me :)

karlhenning

Quote from: orbital on May 14, 2007, 07:53:57 AM
IMO, Kazantzakis' novel is not anti-Christian at all. Except for a final chapter in which Jesus dreams about a family life, I fail to see what is so controversial about it.
It's been a very long time since I read it, but the scene about the time that Jesus spends time alone in the desert, and how the Devil is trying to seduce him stayed with me :)

Interesting, thanks!

I went from general interest in seeking the book out, to seeing the movie, and allowing the movie to dis-interest me in the book.

I see now, that was a wicked temptation  0:)

bwv 1080

The term "anti-christian" implies the existence of an agenda that is contrary to good art.  Take for example the portrayal of the Church in the recent King Arthur film. 

Now, as far as good films that show chrisitanity in an unflattering light, it is hard to find a period worse than the French Wars of Religion for subject matter, so Queen Margot is an excellent candidate

mahlertitan

isn't it true that if a film is not For-christian, it's anti-christian? since if you don't believe in Jesus Christ, you are going to hell.

karlhenning

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 14, 2007, 09:36:45 AM
isn't it true that if a film is not For-christian, it's anti-christian? since if you don't believe in Jesus Christ, you are going to hell.

Ho-hum.  That's one of the staler strawmen I've seen in a long age.  Maybe someone should caricature Mahler with as little sympathy, hmmm?  ;D

Danny

Quote from: Michel on May 14, 2007, 07:48:41 AM
What does that involve? Stern faces?

I take it he means being devout and all of that.